View Single Post
Old Tue Jun 25, 2002, 03:11pm
Official Forum Member

Mick,
I'm not aware of any stats as an official, but I'd guess that the section chairpeople have some to show any success rate. I do know of a high jumper a few years ago who was real good at the HJ (6-8) and a pretty good hurdler. While he still does the HJ in college, his coach saw great potential as a decathlete and has him compete in that as well. I know I was shocked when he came over at a meet I was doing to sign in at the pole vault. I told him he must have been in the sun too long. But no, he was really entered for practice pruposes.

There is another event we do here that is real popular at weekend high school invitationals. The 2000 and 3000 Steeplechase.
I was surprised to see 19 maybe 20 NY girls entered in this years NSSF Outdoor Championship held at NC State (Raleigh, NC). I can't locate the results, but I think of the top eight finishers, six were from NY. I'm sure college track programs take notice.

As far as guidelines, I'd say we use a cross between NCAA and USATF rules. Everything done metrically, 3cm increment in the HJ, even numbered hurdle lanes with no more than three in a heat (mainly for timing purposes), three false start max, 30 minutes between events.
One thing for sure, the multievent official is busy from start to finish with the paperwork for each event and the scoring so prior to each event start, he/she can inform the athletes there scores and place at the moment in time.

It's a lot of fun to do though.