The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   Coach's View of the Look-Back Rule (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/99802-coachs-view-look-back-rule.html)

Dakota Wed May 20, 2015 10:17am

Quote:

Originally Posted by MD Longhorn (Post 962672)
If we're being pedantic about someone else's terminology... R2 is a runner... not a batter-runner.

I wasn't being pedantic; anal maybe! ;) Proper terminology for the sport is appreciated and leads to less confusion. And, I didn't say R2 was a batter-runner, I said she was the last batter-runner.

Andy Wed May 20, 2015 10:45am

My look back rule story.....

I am BU. R1 on second, wild pitch, R1 advances to and rounds third.
Ball retrieved and returned to pitcher in the circle who looks at R1 off of third base. Pitcher raises her arm and starts pump faking as if she is going to throw. R1 is dancing back and forth. No throw is made and R1 returns to third.

Defensive coach starts yelling from the third base dugout...She (R1) can't do that! She is out! You have to call her out! Since I am close to the dugout, I respond by saying that the pitcher is attempting a play and that turns the rule off.

Coach says back to me that it doesn't matter..if the pitcher is in the circle she can do anything she wants and the runner can't dance back and forth. I just shake my head and we play on....

A few pitches later, I notice coach get up and walk to the end of the dugout and start digging in a backpack...and pulls out a rule book!

I say loudly toward the dugout......"It's in rule 8 if you want to look it up!"

Yes...I know that I probably handled this inappropriately, but I just couldn't stop myself....:D

Next half inning break, I am getting a drink near the first base side and coach comes over toward me....."So when did that rule change, was it last year?"

Uhhhh...no, coach.....

MD Longhorn Wed May 20, 2015 10:47am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy (Post 962678)
I say loudly toward the dugout......"It's in rule 8 if you want to look it up!"

Yes...I know that I probably handled this inappropriately, but I just couldn't stop myself....:D

Funny. And yeah - probably a bit inappropriate. I find that any time the umpire is shouting across the diamond, they have lost a little control of their composure and of the situation.

Dakota Wed May 20, 2015 12:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MD Longhorn (Post 962679)
Funny. And yeah - probably a bit inappropriate. I find that any time the umpire is shouting across the diamond, they have lost a little control of their composure and of the situation.

Yeah, but I'm sure it felt good! :D

robbie Wed May 20, 2015 09:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by azbigdawg (Post 962648)
Sorry..I cannot buy this..You said "NSA"..."Indiana"..and "well trained" in the same sentence......

I assume you type in jest. Either way and regardless of your opinion, as a whole group, Indiana NSA umpires are quite good.

robbie Wed May 20, 2015 09:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MD Longhorn (Post 962655)
NSA actually doesn't say whether this is a live ball or dead ball. It's silent on the subject (Rule 8-8-x). Elsewhere in the book it says that when things aren't specified in the NSA book, go by NFHS rules. LBR is a dead ball in every other rule set.

True, it does not say either way.
What it does say is:
"... will result in the runner being declared out." (As you stated - Rule 8-8-x)
That leaves no reason for the umpire to declare a dead ball as well as the out.
In fact the LBR is NOT mentioned in Rule 9 Section 1 which is "The ball is dead and not in play:"
Again, no justification to rule dead ball.

And for the edification of anyone reading your post as education; NO, In NSA there is NO default to NFHS (or any other) rules.

azbigdawg Thu May 21, 2015 09:12am

Quote:

Originally Posted by robbie (Post 962710)
I assume you type in jest. Either way and regardless of your opinion, as a whole group, Indiana NSA umpires are quite good.

mmmk

MD Longhorn Thu May 21, 2015 09:35am

Quote:

Originally Posted by robbie (Post 962711)
And for the edification of anyone reading your post as education; NO, In NSA there is NO default to NFHS (or any other) rules.

I stand corrected. I thought that was the case before checking your book, and then misread the "Note: Any softball rules not covered or found in this section will be covered or found in Part I of the official NSA Rulebook" to say NFHS.

CecilOne Thu May 21, 2015 10:52am

Quote:

Good, one book at a time is bad enough. :rolleyes:

BretMan Thu May 21, 2015 11:39am

Quote:

True, it does not say either way.
What it does say is:
"... will result in the runner being declared out." (As you stated - Rule 8-8-x)
That leaves no reason for the umpire to declare a dead ball as well as the out.
In fact the LBR is NOT mentioned in Rule 9 Section 1 which is "The ball is dead and not in play:"
Again, no justification to rule dead ball.

The NSA Case Book (which is on-line, if anyone wants to check it out) has several case plays where the Look Back Rule is violated and states that the ball is DEAD.

IRISHMAFIA Thu May 28, 2015 12:28pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BretMan (Post 962737)
The NSA Case Book (which is on-line, if anyone wants to check it out) has several case plays where the Look Back Rule is violated and states that the ball is DEAD.

To not kill the ball is just asking for trouble. If you do not kill the ball, other runners may attempt to advance and also be in violation of the LBR, but you will most likely be having a discussion with the OC.

The umpire needs to kill the play to control the game