The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon May 04, 2015, 10:01pm
Official Forum Member

MS Game

Had a plate for a MS game with a VERY unusual DP. With bases loaded the batter hit the ball to short. Short throws to home for the first out and then things get very Middle school. The runner from first base has gone all the way to first and then runs back to first base. With the runner standing on one side of the bag, and the batter runner standing on the other, first base tags them both and the runner is out number 2.

As the Third base coach walks to his dugout at the end of the inning he says to me, "Just when you think that they can't surprise you any more" and laughs.
Old Tue May 05, 2015, 10:54am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Did he mean the fielder knowing what to do?
Old Tue May 05, 2015, 02:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by outathm View Post
Had a plate for a MS game with a VERY unusual DP. With bases loaded the batter hit the ball to short. Short throws to home for the first out and then things get very Middle school. The runner from first base has gone all the way to first and then runs back to first base. With the runner standing on one side of the bag, and the batter runner standing on the other, first base tags them both and the runner is out number 2.

As the Third base coach walks to his dugout at the end of the inning he says to me, "Just when you think that they can't surprise you any more" and laughs.
Sadly, I have seen similar plays in JV this season. Some of the teams really need to look at their base running. Pitching has been decent this season, catching - uggg, my hand still hurts, but the base running has been TERRIBLE.

Last game we had three or 4 runners get tagged out between 2nd and 3rd on grounders to the SS. All but one of them was a situation with nobody on 1st, thus no force play.
Old Tue May 05, 2015, 03:52pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chapmaja View Post
catching - uggg, my hand still hurts
Use a mitt !
Old Tue May 05, 2015, 04:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post
Use a mitt !
For some reason, this post just gave me flash backs to the guy that used to umpire my baseball games at the YMCA in the mid 90's: Gym shorts with catcher's shin guards, inside protector worn over a T-shirt, and a balloon. No plate shoes. At least he had a mask. He'd have been right at home in that Norman Rockwell painting.

Oh yeah, none of us could catch either. Poor guy, getting drilled all day for $5 a game.