The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Apr 29, 2015, 04:42pm
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post
Which I keep saying is where many myths come from, the first experience of many players and especially coaches.
Well, it's not a myth in LLBB, and likely not in LLSB either, given that both rule books are very similar. And in straight OBR (pro baseball) as well as NCAA baseball, an unannounced pitching change is made when the new pitcher gets on the pitcher's plate. He doesn't even have to deliver a warm-up.

So it's far from a myth. But obviously it doesn't apply to NCAA, NFHS, or ASA softball.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Thu Apr 30, 2015, 06:47am
Official Forum Member

Tell the coach, "If you have to ask, you already know the answer" and move on.
Old Thu Apr 30, 2015, 12:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post
Which I keep saying is where many myths come from, the first experience of many players and especially coaches.
Is it truly a myth when it is true for some rulesets?

It's also true for OBR.

For example also, if in slo pitch a pitch hits the ground the ball is dead. This isn't true for most other rulesets. Does this make it a myth?

You need to know what is or isn't true for the ruleset you are calling.

In my experience, most "myths" come from slow pitch softball.

Rita
Old Thu Apr 30, 2015, 05:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
You're not missing something, but you're certainly adding to it. There's NOTHING in the book (other than in the Little League baseball book) to justify forcing a player who comes onto the field and throws a ball from the pitcher's plate between innings to continue to pitch the next inning. "Spirit of the rules" is often invoked when actual rules do not support what an umpires wants the rules to be... I'd suggest being careful with using that to justify rulings. One might use "spirit of the rules" to help define vague terms like "immediately" (as in the LBR) or "ordinary effort" / "infielder" (as in the IFF rule)... but you shouldn't use it to justify the creation of a rule that simply isn't written in the book.

This is not the first time this notion has popped up. Trust us - this is not the rule, nor is it the spirit of any rule, nor is it what your rules-makers intend (again... except in LL BB).
Actually it's in the LL SOFTball book also. And in OBR just getting on the rubber makes you the new pitcher. 3.08(a ) in both books if you want to look it up.
Old Thu Apr 30, 2015, 10:18pm
Official Forum Member

I just thought of something else regarding the idea of having a player other than the person on the lineup taking the W/U pitches.

What if the pitcher has been struggling, and the coach is thinking about replacing the pitcher with another player. If he/she sends that player out to take warm-up pitches, he/she can then make a decision to make a pitching change or not.

I have seen something like this when the team only has one catchers helmet, so the team can not warm up a second pitcher.
Old Fri May 01, 2015, 08:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chapmaja View Post
I just thought of something else regarding the idea of having a player other than the person on the lineup taking the W/U pitches.

What if the pitcher has been struggling, and the coach is thinking about replacing the pitcher with another player. If he/she sends that player out to take warm-up pitches, he/she can then make a decision to make a pitching change or not.

I have seen something like this when the team only has one catchers helmet, so the team can not warm up a second pitcher.
Sure. Why not?