The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 23, 2015, 01:42pm
Official Forum Member

I don't believe I used cursing to try and make my point!!!!! But, I stood back and looked at what I said!!!!!

Oh for crying out loud. I'm not whining or pouting about anything. I'm failing to understand why ASA does what they do with respect to their rule set and publishing it in a digital format. The can lock it, they can make it so it can't be duplicated, they can do anything they want to restrict it cuz we're not going to sell or recopy the thing...we want to LOOK at it.

Read my orignal post! Did I say in that post I wanted it free? NO! I said, "for sale or whatever".

As I indicated, we don't need ASA "certified" umpires. They won't come because we don't pay for them, we choose to train our own. We don't have the "budget" to pay for them. Our level of play just doesn't justify "paying" anyone.

We don't need any insurance.
We don't need travel assistance.
nor fundraising services
nor hotels
nor airlines
nor rental cars

What we do need they won't let us have. I just don't see that logic....sorry!!!

We just need a PDF version to post on our website......and we're willing to pay for it?

Promote ASA, you betcha. We put on senior tournaments at our facility and we use the ASA rule set with modifications instead of using SSUSA or our local NCSSA (Norcal Sr. Softball). We reach a lot of senior players promoting ASA. Some of our umpires work ASA events and they even teach/train our in house umpires. We tell our local leagues about our use of ASA and not the other senior softball organizations. We think ASA is a better group which is why we use them.

So, if you viewed this as self serving and denouncing to ASA you are completely off base with respect to what we are about. Thick skin you ain't got. Quick to make judgment calls, you got that down.
Old Fri Jan 23, 2015, 02:05pm
Official Forum Member

Let's try an analogy. You represent a league; I presume your league asks teams to register to play a season of softball. For the sake of this discussion, let's say your league charges $250 for a 10 game season. They have determined that price covers their costs for field rental, field prep, insurance, umpire expenses, whatever.

I have a team that meets all the criteria to play in your league. But my team only wants to play 3 games. And we don't want or need the field dragged and lined, nor do we need to pay for your league insurance, as we all have our own insurance. We'll bring our own umpires, too, so you don't have to protect the umpires, either. We could play in another league, but we want to play in your league, so you should feel honored. We are willing to pay for these 3 games, but we don't want or need your 10 game team registration.

What?? You won't make me a special deal at a special price for my team, just because what I want doesn't fit your business model at all, and leaves everyone else at a disadvantage?? Why?? I said I was willing to pay for 3 games!!
Old Fri Jan 23, 2015, 02:22pm
Official Forum Member

We're gonna beat a dead horse here I think. A PDF version is not out of whack. They are digitizing it by making it available as an app on Apple and Android software.......so why not on computers?

We are a pretty unique duck by softball league standards. We have our own field, not a city or county field. So we don't rent or use lights. Our fees are $70 a year for 20 plus games. Our fields are done by our own guys, for free. We have a facility group that maintains everything except the infield. We pay association dues for use of all facilities in our complex. We have tennis courts, bocce ball courts, pickleball courts as well as swimming pools and gym facilities....so we're very luck in that regard.

We just don't feel it to be prudent to purchase a bunch of hard copy books that'll just get lost or never looked at for our softball community....a better option would be to put a copy on our website......

I'm going to stop now cuz it just doesn't make sense.....and I know ASA is a business and I understand all that.....they want to make money any way they can...uniforms, schools, clinics, etc., etc.

Just a lousy PDF version is all I ask.
Old Sun Feb 01, 2015, 03:49pm
Official Forum Member

Cheap, cheap, cheap

Here go put it on your phone, if the seniors have one. And if they're in the iPhone cult they're out of luck.

http://www.teamusa.org/USA-Softball/...es/Mobile-Apps

How about you type up the senior rules that you use and make them available that way? I'm sure if you have a free grounds crew and you're working with seniors, someone will sit around and type up the rules for you. Just be aware that ASA WILL come after you. They take their softball organization very seriously, even if you think it's just a little PDF.

Here's you a 2013 rulebook for $9.99
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2013-Partici...item4adaf9edf4

Last edited by gaulden21; Sun Feb 01, 2015 at 03:55pm.
Old Sun Feb 01, 2015, 08:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linknblue View Post
Just a lousy PDF version is all I ask.
Well with all due respect you are asking to use this for free. This totally discounts the fact that ASA has spent time and money developing their playing rules.

Reminds me of kids who want to download all their music for free off of pirate copy sites on the net and can't recognize it as theft.
Old Mon Feb 02, 2015, 12:38pm
Official Forum Member

Not asking for it for FREE guys. What part of "willing to pay for it" don't you understand?

We have our own "exceptions" to ASA on our website. We'd just like to add the ASA rules as well.......

Geez.......
Old Mon Feb 02, 2015, 05:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linknblue View Post
Not asking for it for FREE guys. What part of "willing to pay for it" don't you understand?

We have our own "exceptions" to ASA on our website. We'd just like to add the ASA rules as well.......

Geez.......
What part of

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASA website
Note: The ASA's ... rule book is not for sale. Rulebooks are included with registration materials when you register your ASA team or when you register as an Umpire. For more information on the ASA's registration process please visit the ASA local associations page and contact your local association.
don't you understand?

Wow........
Old Mon Feb 02, 2015, 08:59pm
Official Forum Member

Duh! I do understand it. I don't agree with it and I'm entitled to have that opinion. WOW, don't you understand?