The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Sep 02, 2003, 06:39pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to bluejay Send a message via Yahoo to bluejay
This discussion is the beauty of this board. Probably none of us will ever see this happen in a game without the defense responding. But what has happened is we have been forced to THINK and some have been forced to open the Rule book. There has been a lively discussion and undoubtably most of us have learned something new or at least something about how to look at the rules and how to apply them. This is good for us all.
Old Wed Sep 03, 2003, 11:00am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally posted by Elaine "Lady Blue"
Wow, thanks Tom (Dakota), I'm glad you typed out everything I was thinking.

Tom is correct guys and gals.
copycat
Old Wed Sep 03, 2003, 11:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JEL
Well, this has been interesting, but in real games, what is the chance of this occurring?
It doesn't matter if it is realistic. Hypotheticals are good, because they allow us to develop insight into the rules with a defined situation and now apparently go off into a discussion of coverage mechanics.
Old Wed Sep 03, 2003, 11:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by IRISHMAFIA
Actually, a similar play happens ROUTINELY in the SP game. I don't know how many times I do not call time because a runner is slowly moving in the direction of the next base. Of course, most AAs are too dumb to understand the logic, unless they are on the offensive side of the field in this case.

The defense goes crazy when I do not immediately call time at their request, but I'm not suppose to call time as long as the play is not over. And as long as that runner is advancing at any pace, the play is not yet over. I'm not talking about a runner just standing off the base, I'm refering to a runner who is moving.
Are you also tempted to call verbal obstruction when a fielder near you yells "TIME" and the runner stops and retreats?

On the other side of the coin, I think it would be fun to play a SP game with the look-back rule.
Old Wed Sep 03, 2003, 11:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by CecilOne
Quote:
Actually, a similar play happens ROUTINELY in the SP game. I don't know how many times I do not call time because a runner is slowly moving in the direction of the next base. Of course, most AAs are too dumb to understand the logic, unless they are on the offensive side of the field in this case.

The defense goes crazy when I do not immediately call time at their request, but I'm not suppose to call time as long as the play is not over. And as long as that runner is advancing at any pace, the play is not yet over. I'm not talking about a runner just standing off the base, I'm refering to a runner who is moving.
Are you also tempted to call verbal obstruction when a fielder near you yells "TIME" and the runner stops and retreats?

On the other side of the coin, I think it would be fun to play a SP game with the look-back rule.
No, absolutely not. If the runner is as stupid as the fielder to believe that a player may call time instead of the umpire, shame on them.

Old Wed Sep 03, 2003, 01:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

No, absolutely not. If the runner is as stupid as the fielder to believe that a player may call time instead of the umpire, shame on them.
But what if you believe it was done to try to make the runner think the official called it?
Old Wed Sep 03, 2003, 04:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dukat
Quote:

But what if you believe it was done to try to make the runner think the official called it?
Though I don't think a player is smart enough to emulate the call, my response is still "Nope". Stupid is as stupid does. I am not the player's fairy godmother.

Not only do they need to play the game, but runners are the only people in the game which are allowed additional audio/visual aides on the field in the form of base coaches.

Old Thu Sep 04, 2003, 08:40am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Quote:

[/B]
Good!