The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   Standing on field with hands on hips? (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/98365-standing-field-hands-hips.html)

teebob21 Fri Sep 05, 2014 02:39pm

Standing on field with hands on hips?

Evaluators: Time for a nit-picky between-innings mechanics question. Is it OK to stand with your hands on your hips between innings? (I know this is a fairly stupid question, but I'm curious to hear the wisdom of the masses on this innocuous detail.)

A partner of mine recently did this almost every inning. It was a fairly non-competitive game, and both teams and coaches were relaxed. He's got far more experience at high levels of play than I do, so it surprised me that he would do this, even at a game that "didn't matter".

One of the first mentors I ever had taught me early what to never ever do (arms folded, or hands in pockets). I find it impossible to stand with my arms at my side for any length of time, so I clasp my hands between innings or during breaks in play. On bases, parade-rest style behind me; on the plate, in front of me with mask under my elbow.

IRISHMAFIA Fri Sep 05, 2014 03:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by teebob21 (Post 939786)
Evaluators: Time for a nit-picky between-innings mechanics question. Is it OK to stand with your hands on your hips between innings? (I know this is a fairly stupid question, but I'm curious to hear the wisdom of the masses on this innocuous detail.)

A partner of mine recently did this almost every inning. It was a fairly non-competitive game, and both teams and coaches were relaxed. He's got far more experience at high levels of play than I do, so it surprised me that he would do this, even at a game that "didn't matter".

One of the first mentors I ever had taught me early what to never ever do (arms folded, or hands in pockets). I find it impossible to stand with my arms at my side for any length of time, so I clasp my hands between innings or during breaks in play. On bases, parade-rest style behind me; on the plate, in front of me with mask under my elbow.

I would prefer the umpire not, but I think it depends on the entire body, not just where the hands are. If the posture is one which appears to be that the umpire just doesn't want to be there, yeah, that is something that should be addressed. Otherwise, I really don't care as a lot of people are like you who just cannot stand around without finding a place to put their hands. Many with a military background do as you and move to a parade rest set.

Andy Fri Sep 05, 2014 04:10pm

Teebob - what you describe is a BIG pet peeve of our state UIC. Body Language.

Standing with your hands on your hips can appear to look impatient and like you don't want to be there.

I've also been told that there are only two times during the course of game when people are looking at the umpires...when a call is made and between innings when there is nothing else to look at.

teebob21 Fri Sep 05, 2014 04:44pm

Thanks Irish and Andy. That basically confirms what I already thought.

PATRICK Sat Sep 06, 2014 07:37am

I was doing a 12U championship years ago and was standing at the plate waiting for the conference to begin (with my hangs on my hips) when this tiny little girl comes up to me and says, "What's that, your Super Friends pose?"

SWFLguy Sat Sep 06, 2014 04:38pm

Guess I'm old school to and still have a bit of the Army in me. Hands in pockets is a no-no. You'll seldom see me with my arms folded or hands on hips. I think it does indicate a certain detachment. Just one man's opinion.

IRISHMAFIA Sat Sep 06, 2014 05:16pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SWFLguy (Post 939819)
Guess I'm old school to and still have a bit of the Army in me. Hands in pockets is a no-no. You'll seldom see me with my arms folded or hands on hips. I think it does indicate a certain detachment. Just one man's opinion.

I'm same way, but you need to remember, like many rules, this was probably something that was observed of an umpire and it immediately became a no-no. And like many rules, until adjusted, the affect runs over areas not meant to be involved.

I've often seen umpires standing around with their arms crossed or hands on hips, but there was a smile on their face. It was just the way they relaxed, just as many ex-military automatically go to a parade rest posture.

BTW, just a little clarification. I'm referring to between innings or inordinate delays, not during a live ball period.

PATRICK Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:10am

I don't know where they come up with some of this stuff, but I've learned that I don't have to agree with them, I just have to do it their way if I want their games!

teebob21 Sun Sep 07, 2014 03:45pm

Funny that I started this thread...I worked a fall ball DH yesterday and for some reason I got TIRED. I caught myself putting my hands on my hips between pitches on my plate game, much like you'll see a winded football player do between snaps. I work plate with a Gerry Davis stance, so I started setting up way earlier than I usually do. That helped.

topper Mon Sep 08, 2014 07:13am

Funny, I see college coaches standing with their hands on their hips all the time and I don't think they're impatient or bored. I just assume it's their most comfortable standing position.

Jake26 Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:17am

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA (Post 939788)
... but I think it depends on the entire body, not just where the hands are. If the posture is one which appears to be that the umpire just doesn't want to be there, yeah, that is something that should be addressed.

I was dinged once for having my hands on my hips. It was a hot day - I was just trying to get as much body exposed to the wind as possible for the cooling effect. I thought at the time that standing equally-weighted on both feet (that is, not slouching) was far more important to my appearance than my hands being on my waist. But that is me. And I don't put my hands on my hips any longer.

AtlUmpSteve Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:10am

Quote:

Originally Posted by topper (Post 939893)
Funny, I see college coaches standing with their hands on their hips all the time and I don't think they're impatient or bored. I just assume it's their most comfortable standing position.

We don't get to judge them; they do get to judge what our body language (and anything else) means. At every level of softball, it is considered inappropriate, simply because it CAN be interpreted that way, even if not meant that way.

Of course, baseball pretty much lives with hands permanently attached to hips. :rolleyes:

topper Mon Sep 08, 2014 03:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve (Post 939921)
We don't get to judge them; they do get to judge what our body language (and anything else) means. At every level of softball, it is considered inappropriate, simply because it CAN be interpreted that way, even if not meant that way.

We judge coaches all the time, at least many of us do. Our judgment on their preferred way of standing when at rest means no less than their judgment on ours - zero, IMO. The next time a coach comes out and comments about his/her perception of my posture, which will be the first BTW, I'll instruct him/her to take their perception and their a$$ back to the dugout.

It seems we have allowed the "perception is reality" concept to muddy our waters and have officials worrying about things other than what's important. Hammer heights, belt buckles, pleats, standing between innings,.....

IRISHMAFIA Mon Sep 08, 2014 05:26pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by topper (Post 939944)
We judge coaches all the time, at least many of us do. Our judgment on their preferred way of standing when at rest means no less than their judgment on ours - zero, IMO. The next time a coach comes out and comments about his/her perception of my posture, which will be the first BTW, I'll instruct him/her to take their perception and their a$$ back to the dugout.

Well, see, that is part of the problem, the coach isn't going to tell you.

Quote:

It seems we have allowed the "perception is reality" concept to muddy our waters and have officials worrying about things other than what's important. Hammer heights, belt buckles, pleats, standing between innings,.....
Yeah, appearance is irrelevant to a professional presence. I remind my boss of that the next time we visit a customer and he wants everyone in a coat and tie and 30 minutes early. :)

EsqUmp Mon Sep 08, 2014 07:15pm

You can put "hands on hips" into the same category as wearing sunglasses or chewing gum. Some people just don't like it and many of them happen to be evaluators. I call these "false perception." No one really cares, except the evaluator. It's not what you do, but when and how you do it. If your hands go on your hips only when the pitcher is taking extra time or when a coach comes out to question you, that's a problem. But if it is part of your pre-pitch mechanics or between inning mechanics, who really cares? I do it between pitches. It's relaxing, yet keeps me alert. I don't slouch when doing it. No coach has ever said anything about it. UICs have. Hence, false perception.