The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   local rules (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/98349-local-rules.html)

CecilOne Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:14am

local rules

How about this one?
We will play 1:20min drop dead with 10min break. Game every 1:30min

After the team reaches mercy rule runs differential, the winning team will end the inning and will be allow to bat only 5 batters until runs differential is no longer subject to the mercy rule.

IRISHMAFIA Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:39am

Quote:

Originally Posted by CecilOne (Post 939598)
How about this one?

After the team reaches mercy rule runs differential, the winning team will end the inning and will be allow to bat only 5 batters until runs differential is no longer subject to the mercy rule.

Just another ill-advised local rule that will just screw up the game and perpetuate the ignorance of those playing the game.

Stat-Man Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:50am

Quote:

:confused: Why not just end the game once the run differential rule kicks in?

chuck chopper Sun Aug 31, 2014 03:35pm

So there is really no mercy rule. What's to stop the team that's losing, to walk 5 batters

Rich Ives Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:23pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by chuck chopper (Post 939606)
So there is really no mercy rule. What's to stop the team that's losing, to walk 5 batters

It adds 2 runs to the winning team's total and makes it harder to catch up.

CecilOne Mon Sep 01, 2014 08:27am

Quote:

How about this one?

Do you even understand the "will end the inning and will be allow to bat only 5 batters " part?

RKBUmp Mon Sep 01, 2014 08:49am

One year my kids little league decided to institute the 5 run per inning rule (8 with continuation of play), but with a twist. A team could only score 5 per inning, unless they were behind. Then they could score up to the score of the team ahead, plus 5 runs.

Rich Ives Mon Sep 01, 2014 09:51am

Quote:

Originally Posted by CecilOne (Post 939621)
Do you even understand the "will end the inning and will be allow to bat only 5 batters " part?

Yep.

As soon as the run limit is reached (say 10) the inning is over without regard to the number of outs.

After that the leading team can bat no more than 5 in its half inning (inning then ends) unless the other team closes the gap.

Rich Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:23am

Quote:

Originally Posted by RKBUmp (Post 939622)
One year my kids little league decided to institute the 5 run per inning rule (8 with continuation of play), but with a twist. A team could only score 5 per inning, unless they were behind. Then they could score up to the score of the team ahead, plus 5 runs.

So if I'm the home team and the visitors score 5 in the top of the first, then I can score 10 in the bottom?

I had a league try to do something like this (not quite identical, but similar) when I was coaching. I think the words, "Do you realize how idiotic this is?" came out of my mouth.

RKBUmp Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:50am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 939627)
So if I'm the home team and the visitors score 5 in the top of the first, then I can score 10 in the bottom?

I had a league try to do something like this (not quite identical, but similar) when I was coaching. I think the words, "Do you realize how idiotic this is?" came out of my mouth.

Thats exactly what they did, and those were about the same words I had for them when they did it.

Rich Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:59am

Quote:

Originally Posted by RKBUmp (Post 939629)
Thats exactly what they did, and those were about the same words I had for them when they did it.

And that's after the visiting team may have scored 34, but for the rule that they could only score 5. Amazing people continued to argue that it was a good rule.

SNIPERBBB Wed Sep 03, 2014 07:47pm

In the parents head, its a good rule to let the kids keep playing. For the rest of the world, its pure misery except to those hoverparents.

IRISHMAFIA Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:41pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNIPERBBB (Post 939699)
In the parents head, its a good rule to let the kids keep playing. For the rest of the world, its pure misery except to those hoverparents.

Not a problem, kids can play all they want. Doesn't mean the umpire has to stay on the field :)

SNIPERBBB Thu Sep 04, 2014 07:48pm

Still a misery for all involved still left. Can all but guarantee the kids playing on the mercies team don't want to be there anymore than they were after the first pitch.

chapmaja Fri Sep 05, 2014 07:35am

Quote:

Originally Posted by RKBUmp (Post 939622)

Our league isn't that bad. We still have a 5 per inning rule, but the only exception to this rule is the last scheduled inning (not the last inning due to a time limit).

I had a game once where the teams had no problem scoring. We get to the 6th inning with is 23-19. Home team behind. Visiting team scores 7 runs to go up 30-19. Final score 31-30. The last inning took 55 minutes to play, while the rest of the game had taken an hour and 50 minutes.

Linknblue Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:22am

Do it like the old guys do. Five run limit per inning and last inning is open and can score til 3 outs. Open inning can be 5th, 6th or 7th depending on time limits. Skunk rule can be after 5th.....say 15 runs or whatever.