The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Aug 25, 2014, 03:39pm
Official Forum Member

NAFA Men's Woodbat World Series

I worked Men's FP this past weekend for the first time in years. Not only that, but it was 3-man with two good partners. What a lot of fun. This was my first time working NAFA, so I had no idea what to expect.

Observations:
White balls look tiny after tracking optic yellow pitches forever.
I'm glad one of my spring-ball college partners helped me stay in the slot better after I changed my plate stance this year: I avoided at least 2 concussions from foul tips.
Wood bat would make for a very interesting NCAA women's game, although a blowout would be a 3-0 game with 57 bunts and a 2-RBI double.
The game needs more men's FP teams: only 5 showed up.
It was strange to hear F-bombs on the field and not see anyone get tossed.
3-man is awesome.

Although no one said anything, I feel like I struggled a little with the bottom of my zone, though. I had some big dude catchers so I was forced to set up a little high, and that may have been it. Any tips for a more consistent low-zone when it's coming in with serious heat? (EDIT) For example, any tips on using a visual cue from a batter's knees to draw that invisible line out over the plate? I felt like my low peripheral vision narrowed as I focused on the pitches. This may be what people mean by a ball "exploding" on them as it gets to the zone.

Last edited by teebob21; Mon Aug 25, 2014 at 05:03pm. Reason: Clarified question
Old Mon Aug 25, 2014, 05:10pm
Call it as I see it.

To me the biggest thing about seeing the Zone in NAFA is paying attention to where the pitcher actually throws from. Ie they do the standing triple jump before they release ball

I usually work the Masters in Carson City Nevada but am taking the one off.
Old Mon Aug 25, 2014, 05:21pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks for the advice. None of the pitchers had a delivery that gave me fits. One team had a pitcher that would have been legal in ASA JO. The rest stepped forward a tiny bit off the pitcher's plate and then came with the standard patented "Men's Leap to 42 Feet" special.

One of the better pitchers on the championship team was apparently pitching from the 1B side of the rubber, both feet outside of the 24 in lane. As U3 for that game, I couldn't see it and his heel was staying even with the front of the plate. PU never called it and the opponents only started to complain with 2 outs in the last inning.
Old Mon Aug 25, 2014, 10:48pm
Official Forum Member

Pet Peeves by TV Announcers

teebob21, one of my pet peeves by TV announcers. I can guarantee that you have never or will never be hit by a "foul tip".

AFA the bottom of the strike zone, you can look at how F2 catches the pitch. If the mitt is up at the knees, you can usually sell a strike. If F2 had to turn the glove over or sideways, ball. You can also gradually expand your zone until you hear some chirping and that is a pretty good judge of the bottom that most will expect. Remember, coaches like strikes at lot more than balls.
Old Tue Aug 26, 2014, 11:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nopachunts View Post
teebob21, one of my pet peeves by TV announcers. I can guarantee that you have never or will never be hit by a "foul tip".
After I posted that, I wondered if anyone would call me out on that. I decided not to change it, and leave it out there as bait. The correct verbiage is "tipped foul ball", I know. As far as my face is concerned, those pitches that go "sharply and directly" to the mask start off as foul tips, only I'm the one who "catches" them.
Old Tue Aug 26, 2014, 01:10pm
Official Forum Member

I have "caught" a few myself.