The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jun 17, 2014, 02:31pm
Official Forum Member

Uniform

I just got an e-mail from one of the guys I assign and I don't have a book handy.

He wants to know if he can wear shorts for his 1 umpire games today.

He mentioned either grey or black shorts.

I've never worn shorts to do a game, so I'm not up on the requirements. My foggy memory thinks only navy shorts w/ required knee socks. And obviously, w/ navy shorts, only powder blue shirt.

Yeah?
Old Tue Jun 17, 2014, 02:34pm
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tru_in_Blu View Post
I just got an e-mail from one of the guys I assign and I don't have a book handy.

He wants to know if he can wear shorts for his 1 umpire games today.

He mentioned either grey or black shorts.

I've never worn shorts to do a game, so I'm not up on the requirements. My foggy memory thinks only navy shorts w/ required knee socks. And obviously, w/ navy shorts, only powder blue shirt.

Yeah?
Shorts in Slo-Pitch, no problem. Fast Pitch, no way. And, Yes, they are navy only, as far as I know. I don't do slow pitch, so I'm guessing.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Tue Jun 17, 2014, 02:39pm
Official Forum Member

Yes, the games are co-ed 'sno-pitch.

I had a 2008 PDF version of ASA rules and checked it there. No mention of shorts w/ knee socks at all. Not sure where I read that now.
Old Tue Jun 17, 2014, 03:06pm
Official Forum Member

We wore navy shorts for local ASA slo-pitch games back in central NY. Wore with white ankle sox. Never wore them the one year I did ASA down here.
Old Tue Jun 17, 2014, 03:12pm
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tru_in_Blu View Post
Yes, the games are co-ed 'sno-pitch.

I had a 2008 PDF version of ASA rules and checked it there. No mention of shorts w/ knee socks at all. Not sure where I read that now.
The current rule book makes no mention of shorts, and I couldn't find anything on the ASA website. But the official ASA uniform and equipment retailer, Official Gear, does carry the navy shorts in its catalog. Seems to me that's an implicit endorsement by ASA that the shorts are still an authorized uniform.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Tue Jun 17, 2014, 03:30pm
Official Forum Member

In Texas, I've worked fastpitch tourneys where they let us wear short on the bases. I'm never comfortable in them, but when it's 105 out there, I'll take it if they tell us to wear them.

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Jun 17, 2014, 07:04pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
In Texas, I've worked fastpitch tourneys where they let us wear short on the bases. I'm never comfortable in them, but when it's 105 out there, I'll take it if they tell us to wear them.
Isn't consistency great???
Old Wed Jun 18, 2014, 05:12am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:

Seriously, I can handle 105 on the bases in my long grays (I have yet to wear long navies in a game in my life). It's the PU who really needs the relief, and wearing shorts back there in FP would obviously look stupid unless you're like some of my colleagues who won't wear shin guards or plate shoes. If he/she has to go with the longs, so will I.

Getting back to the OP, though, I'm really surprised that the rule book is mum on shorts for SP. I saw a colleague last night wearing them with the white anklet ASA-logoed socks and black shoes (and, yes, the powder blue shirt and navy hat). Why white socks, I have no idea.
Old Wed Jun 18, 2014, 08:09am
Official Forum Member

Locally, we are allowed to wear navy shorts with powder blue shirt and white ankle socks for slo-pitch league play only. For Tournament slo-pitch, we are required to wear long navy pants (and that's hot in the middle of July).
Old Wed Jun 18, 2014, 08:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post

Seriously, I can handle 105 on the bases in my long grays (I have yet to wear long navies in a game in my life). It's the PU who really needs the relief, and wearing shorts back there in FP would obviously look stupid unless you're like some of my colleagues who won't wear shin guards or plate shoes. If he/she has to go with the longs, so will I.
The guy who allows this uses the Plate/Base/Off rotation, so you work one tough one, then work the bases in shorts, then off.

I admit I feel strange wearing the shorts. But if you're working 6 games of 9 and it's 105 most of the day, I suspect it helps some.

And since we're talking colors... the best look here is the cream shirt with black pants/socks.

West Houston Mike
Old Wed Jun 18, 2014, 09:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
The current rule book makes no mention of shorts, and I couldn't find anything on the ASA website. But the official ASA uniform and equipment retailer, Official Gear, does carry the navy shorts in its catalog. Seems to me that's an implicit endorsement by ASA that the shorts are still an authorized uniform.
But they also carry hats and shirts with no logo, red shirts and black shirts...
Old Wed Jun 18, 2014, 09:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
....And since we're talking colors... the best look here is the cream shirt...
Especially after a long day in the 100's with wind blowing the infield dirt around! Yellow on cream is SO attractive!

Frankly, the construction of the shirt (i.e. how well it breathes, how well it wicks) is much more significant to keeping cool than the color.
Old Wed Jun 18, 2014, 10:05am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
Frankly, the construction of the shirt (i.e. how well it breathes, how well it wicks) is much more significant to keeping cool than the color.
FINALLY, someone else who knows!
Old Wed Jun 18, 2014, 11:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
Especially after a long day in the 100's with wind blowing the infield dirt around! Yellow on cream is SO attractive!

The construction of this shirt is a more important factor...

And I have more than one shirt of whatever color we might be wearing. No shirt gets worn for more than 2 games...

That said... if you don't notice the difference between black and cream, you're crazy. Heck, I don't like wearing Navy if powder blue is an option on those really hot days.

West Houston Mike