The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   Home Run base running adventures (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/98001-home-run-base-running-adventures.html)

MD Longhorn Tue Jun 03, 2014 08:51am

Quote:

Originally Posted by voiceoflg (Post 935336)
I was just trying to fully understand, not questioning you. I somewhat remember a softball game where a player hit a home run but was injured before rounding the bases. Defenders carried her around. I wasn't sure if this, like that one, was within the rules or not. Thanks for clarifying.

Yes, that happened (twice, actually)... but we all noted here that while it was great sportsmanship, it was actually not even necessary for the defense to do it. Offense could have done it.

MD Longhorn Tue Jun 03, 2014 08:52am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manny A (Post 935350)
I believe in baseball, the rule on physical assistance is not limited to live ball play. Since the FED rule doesn't specifically state it, it could be considered the same.

Not by me. Or my bosses. Or the state clinician when this got argued about 3 seasons ago.

But feel free to incorporate baseball rules whenever you want. :) :)

CecilOne Tue Jun 03, 2014 09:05am

Quote:

Originally Posted by MD Longhorn (Post 935362)

:eek: :eek: yeah, good idea! :eek: :eek:

Manny A Tue Jun 03, 2014 09:18am

Quote:

Originally Posted by MD Longhorn (Post 935362)
Not by me. Or my bosses. Or the state clinician when this got argued about 3 seasons ago.

Oh hell no, I would never do that. ;)

Still, I wonder why FED decided to leave out the reference in the rule to the ball being live for teammate assistance to apply. ASA and NCAA specifically mention it, but not FED. Oversight? Intentional? I don't have a clue.

CecilOne Tue Jun 03, 2014 09:21am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manny A (Post 935366)
Oh hell no, I would never do that. ;)

Still, I wonder why FED decided to leave out the reference in the rule to the ball being live for teammate assistance to apply. ASA and NCAA specifically mention it, but not FED. Oversight? Intentional? I don't have a clue.

I hope you don't stay awake at night looking for or hoping for consistency between rule books; let alone wondering why a rule writer would not consult another book to make a change worded the same.

argodad Tue Jun 03, 2014 06:41pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by voiceoflg (Post 935336)
I was just trying to fully understand, not questioning you. I somewhat remember a softball game where a player hit a home run but was injured before rounding the bases. Defenders carried her around. I wasn't sure if this, like that one, was within the rules or not. Thanks for clarifying.

That was a cool sportsmanship story ... but the umpires kicked the call. :cool:

Manny A Wed Jun 04, 2014 05:15am

Quote:

Originally Posted by CecilOne (Post 935368)
I hope you don't stay awake at night looking for or hoping for consistency between rule books; let alone wondering why a rule writer would not consult another book to make a change worded the same.

No, I don't let it bother me. I've been doing this long enough to know that inconsistencies in the rules exist, and no matter how much we complain about them, nothing gets done. :p

There are people here who have long histories with rule changes and interpretations, some having personal relationships with national-level staff that have something to do with these rulings. And I was just curious if there was anything more to it with the FED rule than just mere oversight.

MD Longhorn Wed Jun 04, 2014 08:36am

Quote:

Originally Posted by argodad (Post 935420)
That was a cool sportsmanship story ... but the umpires kicked the call. :cool:

No, they didn't. If there was a call to make, it would be obstruction, which would be nullified when the runner reached (surpassed) the awarded base).

AtlUmpSteve Wed Jun 04, 2014 09:15am

Quote:

Originally Posted by MD Longhorn (Post 935438)
No, they didn't. If there was a call to make, it would be obstruction, which would be nullified when the runner reached (surpassed) the awarded base).

Either you missed Larry's point, or forgot the whole story.

The umpires in the first case told the OC that the injured runner was required to touch all the bases, or the runner would be out. That is where they kicked the call; NCAA 8.5.3.2 allows the substitute for an injured player to touch awarded bases.

chapmaja Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:11am

Quote:

Originally Posted by RKBUmp (Post 935274)
How is the situation different? If the runner never touched home plate and was standing short of the plate in the right handed batters box would not b3 have to pass them before touching the plate? The instant b3 passed the runner they would be out so how could a succeeding runner have scored?

I guess it depends on how you read the situation. When I first read it, joining the crowd to me meant that she had passed the plate, which by rule, means she has "scored" absent the appeal for missing the base.

The way I think you are thinking of it, the runner has not yet passed the plate when she joins the crowd. As such, she is still a runner and could be passed, resulting in an out.

chapmaja Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:16am

Quote:

Originally Posted by UmpireErnie (Post 935261)
R1 on 3B, R2 on 2B, no out. B3 hits over-the-fence home run. R1 touches home as team comes out to celebrate at home plate. R2 rounds 3B, approaches home but joins the crowd in the 3B side batters box never crossing home. B3 comes around and touches home. R1 realizes that R2 never touched home and pushes R2 to home plate.

Now what?:eek:

Ok, here is a question based on this thread.

Same situation. a) R2 joins the celebration before passing home plate or b) after R2 passes home plate. B3 then touches home plate. The offense goes back into the dugout and then the defensive coach appeals that R2 did not touch home plate. How many outs do we have and how many runs score?

In a) we should have 2 outs. B3 is out for passing R2, and R2 would then be out on appeal for the missed base. 1 run, R1 scores on the play. In b) we have 1 out (R2 for the missed base) and 2 runs score (R1 and B3). Am I correct in this ruling?

argodad Wed Jun 04, 2014 12:40pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MD Longhorn (Post 935438)

They kicked it when the offense asked if they were allowed to help or replace the batter who tore up her knee. They said "no way."

MD Longhorn Wed Jun 04, 2014 01:32pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by argodad (Post 935471)
They kicked it when the offense asked if they were allowed to help or replace the batter who tore up her knee. They said "no way."

Fair enough - my mistake. I was unaware of that part of the story.