The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   northwestern mutual commercial. (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/97985-northwestern-mutual-commercial.html)

RKBUmp Thu May 29, 2014 07:51pm

northwestern mutual commercial.

Anyone else seen the commercial with softball game going on? Opening scene the pitcher is leaping.

azbigdawg Thu May 29, 2014 08:00pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by RKBUmp (Post 935119)
Anyone else seen the commercial with softball game going on? Opening scene the pitcher is leaping.

First base ump is WAY too close...

RKBUmp Thu May 29, 2014 08:03pm

Forget where the ball was hit but as I recall was also out of position in foul territory.

azbigdawg Thu May 29, 2014 08:05pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by RKBUmp (Post 935121)
Forget where the ball was hit but as I recall was also out of position in foul territory.

Those AZ umpires are looking good, as usual....

teebob21 Thu May 29, 2014 11:24pm

Warning: Possible overanalysis ahead. Pretending to be an evaluator tonight. Here's the commercial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Vq3efsguUQ
Quote:

Originally Posted by RKBUmp (Post 935119)

Yup, nice RH batter's box/home plate hi-def view of classic leaping at 0:09. (Too bad you don't get that solid a view once you're set. At least she drags through the rest of the pitch.) Illegal pitch in any league I've worked where the players aren't guys. I'm calling that from first base every time....

Quote:

Originally Posted by azbigdawg (Post 935120)
First base ump is WAY too close...

...but of course if like this guy I start so far foul that the 1b coach is asking for his coaching box back, how can you see the leap?!? :) This is obviously a 2-man game, so he's terribly out of position for the entirety of this double play. Not only is he straight-lined on the throw to first, he's straight-lined and 75 feet from that sweet neighborhood play at 2nd @ 0:17. (Not sure F6 ever touched 2B; I still have an out on this.)

IMHO it would be impossible to be more out of position. On the other hand, the sell-out is decent. He doesn't step through it, but if he had, he'd have been on top of F3. He doesn't appear to have an indicator or a brush, so...there's that too. Frankly, as a mass-media representation of our avocation, I'm just happy the shirt is tucked in, hat brim forward, and the shirt is the right color. (Also, the plate ump's shin guards aren't strapped to the outside of his pants.)

Clinics for beginners to 2-man should show this as a "DON'T do this" video.

Good scoop by the F3 actress. I wonder how many takes this took.

In another vein, apparently Northwestern's marketing dept thinks that only baseball is worked three-man: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhYmvHrCNCc Nice four-stitch plate hat on the 3B umpire (visible at 0:10 and 0:22). Dork. :)

Rich Thu May 29, 2014 11:55pm

If he was wearing a 2-stitch hat I'd understand your comment, but a 4-stitch is nothing that out of the usual.

teebob21 Fri May 30, 2014 01:26am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 935132)
If he was wearing a 2-stitch hat I'd understand your comment, but a 4-stitch is nothing that out of the usual.

True. I'll admit, I'm a little biased on hats. :) The good ol' boy who brought me up through the ranks insisted on nothing shorter than a 6-stitch, ever. I wear a 4 behind the plate, and I still occasionally feel like it's a beanie after working so long with Lyle. I'm not around the big diamonds enough to know what's actually being worn on the bases at HS/college/big boy games.

tcannizzo Fri May 30, 2014 06:29am

Quote:

Originally Posted by teebob21 (Post 935130)
IMHO it would be impossible to be more out of position. On the other hand, the sell-out is decent. He doesn't step through it, but if he had, he'd have been on top of F3.

What was he doing in "A" with R1 on 1B?:eek:

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Fri May 30, 2014 07:00am

Quote:

Originally Posted by tcannizzo (Post 935139)

That is what I asked the same thing.

MTD, Sr.

Manny A Fri May 30, 2014 08:04am

So many other things to talk about with the WCWS having started, many areas in the middle of high school playoffs, summer ASA qualifiers heating up, etc. etc., and we're wasting bandwith critquing commercials that obviously involve actors? Really? :p

Well, if we must, putting the BU in the proper position would remove him from the camera shot for the call. Gone would be the dramatic affect to get that "Teamwork" point across, which is the whole theme of the commercial. And I don't know how you can possibly see that the BU doesn't have an indicator or brush.

It's a commercial, gents, not a positioning/mechanics training clip.

Rich Ives Fri May 30, 2014 09:24am

The commercial was a success if you remember the company and its product. :D

HugoTafurst Fri May 30, 2014 09:25am

Quote:

What is he doing?
He's playing an umpire in a TV commercial! :D

HugoTafurst Fri May 30, 2014 09:27am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Ives (Post 935146)

Uhhhh - I think it was an Insurance company...:confused:

robbie Fri May 30, 2014 09:30am

Quote:

My guess would be.......... Making a commercial.

IRISHMAFIA Fri May 30, 2014 11:41am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Ives (Post 935146)

Well, no. Not if I choose not to patronize a company because of stupid commercials There is a difference between humorous and stupid.