The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue May 20, 2014, 10:38am
Official Forum Member

Leaping

Over the weekend, while watching some of the regional college games, the point about leaping was brought up. One of the announcers mentioned that in ISF, leaping was now (or soon would be) considered legal. I cannot attest to how true or false that statement is.

And of course, there's much debate as to whether leaping provides an advantage to a pitcher.

If ISF does, or will, allow leaping, is this a precursor to other sanctions moving in the same direction?

I've always felt that if men are allowed to leap, women should also be allowed. As a low-level fast pitch pitcher, I never did master the leap. I always dragged my pivot foot and went through several toe plates and spikes.

Comments?
Old Tue May 20, 2014, 10:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tru_in_Blu View Post
...toe plates and spikes.

Comments?
Yeah, your toe spikes must have been a big help in breaking up the double play!
Old Tue May 20, 2014, 11:07am
Official Forum Member

ISF does allow the leap and as far as I know has for several years. But, as far as I can tell it is the only rule set that does. No other rule set played in the US allows for the leap, so not sure why the announcers keep bringing up ISF rules (other than some of them have played under those rules). It is not the rule set the teams are playing under, and no other rule set the vast majority of these players have ever played under allows the leap.
Old Tue May 20, 2014, 02:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKBUmp View Post
ISF does allow the leap and as far as I know has for several years. But, as far as I can tell it is the only rule set that does. No other rule set played in the US allows for the leap, so not sure why the announcers keep bringing up ISF rules (other than some of them have played under those rules). It is not the rule set the teams are playing under, and no other rule set the vast majority of these players have ever played under allows the leap.
I believe ISF allowed the leap beginning with the 2010 season.
Old Tue May 20, 2014, 03:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve M View Post
I believe ISF allowed the leap beginning with the 2010 season.
also, doesn't the 'toe' have to be pointed down? (not sure of the exact wording) meaning the pivot foot toe msut be pointed towards the ground and not a 'chicken wing' (toe is point towards third base on a right handed pitcher and visa verso towards 1st base on a left hander)
Old Tue May 20, 2014, 03:58pm
Official Forum Member

ISF pitching rule section dealing with feet.

Quote:
g. Both feet must remain in contact with the pitcher’s plate and the pivot foot must remain motionless at all times before the start of the pitch.
h. The pivot foot must remain in contact with the pitcher’s plate at all times before the forward drag, leap or hop.
i. In the act of delivering the ball, the pitcher may take one step with the leading, non-pivot foot simultaneous with the release of the ball. The step must be forward toward the batter and within the 61.0cm (24 in) length of the pitcher's plate.
NOTE: (h-i) It is not a step if the pitcher slides his foot across the pitcher's plate, provided contact is maintained with the plate and there is no movement backwards of the non-pivot foot. Lifting the pivot foot off the pitcher's plate and returning it to the plate, creating a rocking motion, is an illegal act.
j. The pivot foot must remain in contact with the pitcher’s plate, or push off and drag away from the pitcher’s plate or be airborne prior to the stepping (non-pivot) foot touching the ground.
Note: It is legal to drag, leap or hop and then land and throw as long as the original push starts from the pitcher’s plate. It is not legal to step off with the pivot foot and then drag, leap or hop and throw.
k. The pitcher shall not push off from a place other than the pitcher’s plate prior to separating his hands.
Is it just me or is this rule completely full of contradictions? It says the pivot foot must remain motionless at all times prior to the start of the pitch, but then talks about it not being a step if the pitcher slides their foot across the pitching plate. The note indicates it is legal to hop and throw, yet right above that it would appear to indicate if the pitcher leaps the pivot foot may not contact the ground again prior to the stride foot retouching.
Old Tue May 20, 2014, 04:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKBUmp View Post
ISF pitching rule section dealing with feet.

Is it just me or is this rule completely full of contradictions? It says the pivot foot must remain motionless at all times prior to the start of the pitch, but then talks about it not being a step if the pitcher slides their foot across the pitching plate. The note indicates it is legal to hop and throw, yet right above that it would appear to indicate if the pitcher leaps the pivot foot may not contact the ground again prior to the stride foot retouching.
I don't see any contradictions. Prior and during are two different things, and the 2nd part doesn't contradict either.

West Houston Mike
Old Tue May 20, 2014, 06:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tru_in_Blu View Post
I've always felt that if men are allowed to leap, women should also be allowed. As a low-level fast pitch pitcher, I never did master the leap. I always dragged my pivot foot and went through several toe plates and spikes.

Comments?
After the year the NCAA went off the deep end about IP, I asked Dee A in Shreveport if she thought the NCAA would change the rule to allow leaping. Luckily I was speaking to one of the more intelligent NCAA people in softball and she stated that the subject obviously would be raised, but no change was likely without some science behind it. She noted how there is quite an anatomical difference between the men and women and the manner in which they each delivered the pitch. She seemed concerned that the physical affect to the female may not be healthy for the female.

It has also been noted in the past that in today's game, the male pitcher's mechanics is based more around the throwing arm while the female tends to use the entire body in the delivery.