The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu May 08, 2014, 11:42pm
Official Forum Member

What a day

Today was an interesting day.

MS Softball. League has some decent rules, 7 run per inning limit, 10 after 5 mercy rule, and no stealing home (or awards of home if a pitched ball goes out of play, or advancing home on overthrows on a steal attempt).

Home team first pitcher had some control innings and gives up some walks in the top of the first. She also gave up some hard it balls as well. 4-0 vistors after the top of 1. Bottom of 1, home team gets 2 back on control issues by the visiting pitcher, and an error.

Second inning is same verse as the first. It's like 7-2 after 2.

Third inning the visiting team is still stinging the ball, and pushes 6 across to go up 13-2. We have an interesting play during the inning though. Runner on second nobody out. Pop up to foul ground outside third, #b makes a nice running catch in foul territory and continues over to the bench. I call dead ball and award the runner at second 3b for an unintentional carryout. Have to explain to both coaches the rules on this play. DC wants the runner at 2nd, VC wants the pop out negated (she caught it in live ball territory). Home team goes 1-2-3 (visiting pitcher is finding her grove).

Fourth inning no runs score, but we almost had a triple play. Visiting team has runners at 2nd and 3rd with no out. Line drive up the middle deflects off the glove of the pitcher and F4 makes a nice running catch, then dives and tags the runner going back to 2nd for the 2nd out. She then gets up and fires to third. The runner from third had almost reached home before she realized it was caught (leadoff and off on the contact, no tag up). Had the girl at 3rd caught the throw, we would have had a triple play, but it was MS and she dropped it.

Fifth inning we get the 7 run rule invoked. Home pitcher is throwing strikes, but the visitors are just sending them all over the field. Home scores a couple in the bottom of 5. We still had to play the bottom of 5 even though there was no way the home team could score enough to keep the 10 run mercy from happening. Final score 20-4. Final time: to long: 1:46. Not terrible for the first MS games of the season for the teams. I don't have MS again for a few weeks, so I'm looking for improvement.

All in all it was a good day. The best part. I was not wearing my cold weather dark blue's today. I actually got to work in mid 80's temps for the first time this season. It was only the second game in light blue, after my season opening HS DH in early April (one of the few warm days this HS season).
Old Fri May 09, 2014, 03:35pm
Official Forum Member

Good times.
Old Sun May 11, 2014, 07:27am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by chapmaja View Post
MS Softball. League has some decent rules, 7 run per inning limit, 10 after 5 mercy rule, and no stealing home (or awards of home if a pitched ball goes out of play, or advancing home on overthrows on a steal attempt).
I assume "MS" is Middle School. We're talking girls who are, what, mostly 13 and 14?

If so, then what I highlighted above is not what I would consider part of "decent rules". I mean, c'mon! That's more appropriate for 8U Rec ball.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Sun May 11, 2014, 11:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
I assume "MS" is Middle School. We're talking girls who are, what, mostly 13 and 14?

If so, then what I highlighted above is not what I would consider part of "decent rules". I mean, c'mon! That's more appropriate for 8U Rec ball.
No argument there. It is their league rules though. This is a league that also uses a 7 foot net for boys and girls volleyball (they actually have boys Vb), and plays 8 minute quarters for basketball.