The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   Offensive Coach Yelling out Pitch Location (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/97795-offensive-coach-yelling-out-pitch-location.html)

bwbuddy Wed Apr 23, 2014 01:43pm

Offensive Coach Yelling out Pitch Location

I was recently at a game, NFHS in Kentucky, in which the offensive coach would watch where the catcher moved to after giving the sign, and then during the pitcher’s windup would yell to his batter whether the pitch was going to be inside or outside.

Unsportsmanlike? Any call, or let them play?

SE Minnestoa Re Wed Apr 23, 2014 01:55pm

If I were the defensive coach, I would have my catcher go up and away and would then have my pitcher throw it down and in.

In past less passive times, the catcher would go down and away and the pitcher would come up and in. But I don't think that method is proper in today's world.

Insane Blue Wed Apr 23, 2014 02:44pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SE Minnestoa Re (Post 932506)
If I were the defensive coach, I would have my catcher go up and away and would then have my pitcher throw it down and in.

In past less passive times, the catcher would go down and away and the pitcher would come up and in. But I don't think that method is proper in today's world.

I'm old school up and in.
I would warn the coach then restrict him for unsporting conduct

RKBUmp Wed Apr 23, 2014 03:14pm

You going to do the same for a runner on 2nd giving hand signals for pitch location? Nothing illegal about it. My daughters coach did it all the time he just didn't say inside or outside. He would say turn on it for inside pitches and go with it for outside.

MD Longhorn Wed Apr 23, 2014 03:18pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Insane Blue (Post 932509)

You'd lose your job.

I guess no one remembers this from the WCWS two seasons ago in the Texas game.

Dakota Wed Apr 23, 2014 03:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MD Longhorn (Post 932515)
You'd lose your job...

For which suggestion? For going up and in, or for the warn/restrict for USC? ;)

Tru_in_Blu Wed Apr 23, 2014 06:26pm

I mentioned this in another post somewhere.

Anyone who thinks most softball pitchers can hit the catcher's glove location might be right about 36% of the time.

Advanced travel teams in the older age groups might have better control.

At about what age will catchers actually move the location of their glove? 14U? 16U?

I've done some JV games w/ pretty wild pitchers!

IRISHMAFIA Wed Apr 23, 2014 07:15pm

It may be bush, but that is all it is.

EsqUmp Thu Apr 24, 2014 06:45am

Players call things out all the time to help out their teammates. Should we no longer allow the defense to yell "BUNT" or "GOING" or "TAG"?

Not only is it not illegal, it's not even bush-league.

MD Longhorn Thu Apr 24, 2014 09:54am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dakota (Post 932516)
For which suggestion? For going up and in, or for the warn/restrict for USC? ;)

For the warn/restrict.

Skahtboi Fri Apr 25, 2014 06:24am

Quote:

Nothing to warn the coach about. He is doing his job, coaching his players.

AtlUmpSteve Fri Apr 25, 2014 08:45am

Quote:

Just wondering where you would draw your line. I'm thinking that for consistency, you would have to warn (and then eject) any number of top college coaches (I'm thinking Patrick Murphy, Clint Myers, Sean Rychcik off hand) that call out change-ups based on the pitcher's grip (spawned the pitching style of turning the body in the windup so the coach sees glove until the separation).

Ignore it, is my suggestion. Same as stealing signs; it is the opponent's responsibility to fix it, or handle it. It isn't unsporting, it's part of the game.

Insane Blue Sat Apr 26, 2014 01:28am

Quote:

Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve (Post 932653)
Just wondering where you would draw your line. I'm thinking that for consistency, you would have to warn (and then eject) any number of top college coaches (I'm thinking Patrick Murphy, Clint Myers, Sean Rychcik off hand) that call out change-ups based on the pitcher's grip (spawned the pitching style of turning the body in the windup so the coach sees glove until the separation).

Ignore it, is my suggestion. Same as stealing signs; it is the opponent's responsibility to fix it, or handle it. It isn't unsporting, it's part of the game.

I can agree with you. I have never had it happen that blatantly.
Usually coaches or other players use first-last and nickname along with jersey # to tell locations.

PATRICK Sat Apr 26, 2014 09:25am

I had one last week, where the batter actually turned around and looked at the signal.

The pitch was up and in!

She didn't turn around and look again.

Steve M Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:39pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by PATRICK (Post 932703)
I had one last week, where the batter actually turned around and looked at the signal.

The pitch was up and in!

She didn't turn around and look again.

Now that's almost old school. Old school would have seen her hit by pitch.