The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   Two quick questions (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/97760-two-quick-questions.html)

sp279 Tue Apr 15, 2014 05:34pm

Two quick questions

Had this discussion- I was wrong (I guess): A girl on 2nd & 3rd. Batter drills it to center field, 2nd and 3rd score...batter gets to 3rd. Field ump saw her clearly miss first. Here comes the appeal, she's called out. What happens to the two runners that scored (NFHS rules)?

What do most of the umps use as a simple rule of thumb for penalty enforcement with illegal substitution (offense of defense) and batting out of order? Coaches sometimes confuse the two's penalties.
TY

LIUmp Tue Apr 15, 2014 05:47pm

how many outs?

tcannizzo Tue Apr 15, 2014 06:42pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by sp279 (Post 931864)
Had this discussion- I was wrong (I guess): A girl on 2nd & 3rd.

Must be a big girl.

CecilOne Tue Apr 15, 2014 07:12pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by sp279 (Post 931864)
(1) Had this discussion- I was wrong (I guess): A girl on 2nd & 3rd. Batter drills it to center field, 2nd and 3rd score...batter gets to 3rd. Field ump saw her clearly miss first. Here comes the appeal, she's called out. What happens to the two runners that scored (NFHS rules)?

(2) What do most of the umps use as a simple rule of thumb for penalty enforcement with illegal substitution (offense of defense) and batting out of order? Coaches sometimes confuse the two's penalties.
TY

(1) If the BR missing 1st was the third out, no runs score, other wise they both do.

(2) Batting out of order is not illegal sub, involves someone already in the batting order, has specific penalties or actions.

Illegal sub is someone entering that was not in the lineup and can't legally enter as tried.

If you are referring to the DP or FLEX, find one of the topics already discussed at length.

okla21fan Thu Apr 17, 2014 02:32pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by CecilOne (Post 931869)
(1) If the BR missing 1st was the third out, no runs score, other wise they both do.

(2)

just a clarification: in NFHS this appeal could also be a 'fourth out' appeal, and the defensive coach would be given an option to turn the 'fourth' out, into the 'third' out. thus no runs would sore.

Manny A Thu Apr 17, 2014 03:51pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by okla21fan (Post 932090)
just a clarification: in NFHS this appeal could also be a 'fourth out' appeal, and the defensive coach would be given an option to turn the 'fourth' out, into the 'third' out. thus no runs would sore.

I thought the fourth out appeal had to be on a runner that scored.

LIUmp Thu Apr 17, 2014 04:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manny A (Post 932100)

It does. You're right.

youngump Thu Apr 17, 2014 04:42pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manny A (Post 932100)

In ASA it does. NFHS allows advantageous fourth out appeals on non-scoring runners.

KJUmp Thu Apr 17, 2014 06:44pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by youngump (Post 932105)
In ASA it does. NFHS allows advantageous fourth out appeals on non-scoring runners.

Please explain how this works relative to the OP. I'm only asking this because I don't work Fed and obviously, not familiar with the rule.

LIUmp Thu Apr 17, 2014 07:04pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by KJUmp (Post 932108)
Please explain how this works relative to the OP. I'm only asking this because I don't work Fed and obviously, not familiar with the rule.

Indeed. Why would there be a need for a fourth out appeal on a non scoring runner? That makes no sense.

AtlUmpSteve Thu Apr 17, 2014 08:03pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by LIUmp (Post 932109)
Indeed. Why would there be a need for a fourth out appeal on a non scoring runner? That makes no sense.

Because a DIFFERENT runner may have scored, and getting this fourth out would keep that run from scoring??

Dakota Thu Apr 17, 2014 08:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by LIUmp (Post 932109)

It makes a lot of sense. The defense can appeal a missed base that would have been a force out as the fourth out, and therefore, no runs can score. In ASA, they cannot do this unless the runner being appealed also scored. To my knowledge, ASA is the ONLY organization that has that (silly) rule.

youngump Thu Apr 17, 2014 08:29pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by KJUmp (Post 932108)

Bases loaded 2 outs. The ball is hit deep. The BR misses first base on the way to second and the runner from first is thrown out at the plate. In NFHS (and I'm pretty sure every other form of softball / and for that matter baseball), you can appeal the BR missing first and get rid of all the runs.

Or bases loaded 2 outs. The ball is hit deep. All runners come home to score. The batter runner makes it to third where she is tagged out for the third out. She missed first. In NFHS you can appeal for an advantageous alternative third out. In ASA you can't.

LIUmp Thu Apr 17, 2014 09:04pm

I stand corrected. Thanks guys.