The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Apr 28, 2014, 09:03am
Official Forum Member

Killing the Play

I'm in A position.
Batter swings, chops the ball straight down, bounces back up and is fielded by F2. PU points fair. I have a straight line view down the baseline & see clearly that ball is touched an inch or two foul.
Have always been told to kill a play if I see something to kill it, but is this considered overruling my partner who obviously has fair/foul responsibility?
To be fair, in that split second, there was no chance of him getting in position of 1B line extended to see the foul ball.
Old Mon Apr 28, 2014, 09:08am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmkupka View Post
I'm in A position.
Batter swings, chops the ball straight down, bounces back up and is fielded by F2. PU points fair. I have a straight line view down the baseline & see clearly that ball is touched an inch or two foul.
Have always been told to kill a play if I see something to kill it, but is this considered overruling my partner who obviously has fair/foul responsibility?
To be fair, in that split second, there was no chance of him getting in position of 1B line extended to see the foul ball.
BU never calls fair/foul unless pre-gamed for past the base.

Umpires never overrule/contradict another's call unless asked by the other ump for info.
Old Mon Apr 28, 2014, 09:12am
Official Forum Member

Let it go (for now).
Old Mon Apr 28, 2014, 09:24am
Official Forum Member

Point taken, Cecil. For the record, I didn't overrule. It stayed on my mind all day though since the B/R was put out by 60ft on a foul ball, and I was equating this case to my seeing a batted ball hit the batter that my partner did not.
Apples and oranges, or different breeds of apples...
Old Mon Apr 28, 2014, 10:34am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmkupka View Post
It stayed on my mind all day though since the B/R was put out by 60ft on a foul ball, and I was equating this case to my seeing a batted ball hit the batter that my partner did not.
Apples and oranges, or different breeds of apples...
Definitely As&Os. Fair/foul is not a shared responsibility. It belongs to one umpire or the other, based upon what you agreed to at pre-game. As BU in A, you're only responsibility for fair/foul is behind you typically.

But the call on the batter being hit by a batted ball is a shared responsibility. The BU can kill it should his/her partner not see it, and then the PU decides if the batter was in the box or not.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker