The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   Dropped 3rd Strike - Throw to 1st (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/97602-dropped-3rd-strike-throw-1st.html)

RKBUmp Sun Mar 30, 2014 01:05pm

If the ball is directly behind the plate it is on the foul side if 1st base line.

Linknblue Wed Apr 02, 2014 05:19pm

If I'm "interpreting" the posts I'm hearing ...... on the DK3, if the ball is on the 1st base side of the plate the throw from foul ground to the first baseman setting up on the orange bag on the 1st base side is legal.

If the ball rolls to the 3rd base side (not far) of the plate and the catcher picks the ball up, moves to foul ground on the 1st base side and throws to the first baseman on the orange bag, this "isn't" ok? Remember, in the OP I mentioned that this play was "intentional" and not an errant throw.

CecilOne Wed Apr 02, 2014 07:50pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Linknblue (Post 930347)
If I'm "interpreting" the posts I'm hearing ...... on the DK3, if the ball is on the 1st base side of the plate the throw from foul ground to the first baseman setting up on the orange bag on the 1st base side is legal.

If the ball rolls to the 3rd base side (not far) of the plate and the catcher picks the ball up, moves to foul ground on the 1st base side and throws to the first baseman on the orange bag, this "isn't" ok? Remember, in the OP I mentioned that this play was "intentional" and not an errant throw.

The rule is about where the THROW comes from.

xtremeump Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:53pm

KISS, F2 can pick up a D3K anywhere and set up foul and throw to F3 on the colored bag.

IRISHMAFIA Thu Apr 03, 2014 06:56am

Quote:

Originally Posted by xtremeump (Post 930374)
KISS, F2 can pick up a D3K anywhere and set up foul and throw to F3 on the colored bag.

Set up in foul territory on the 1st base side and, yes, it makes a difference.

Manny A Thu Apr 03, 2014 08:14am

Quote:

Originally Posted by CecilOne (Post 930364)
The rule is about where the THROW comes from.

I don't see how you can hold the BR accountable for not knowing where the ball is being thrown from on an uncaught third strike, unless maybe you expect her to get a signal from the first base coach to tell her she can or cannot run in fair territory and touch the white bag.

So, U3K ends up just behind the left-handed batter's box. F2 picks it up and throws to F3 who is straddling the firstbase line just short of the bags. BR, thinking the ball went to the first base side of foul territory, runs in fair territory to touch white. F2's throw hits the BR in the right shoulder. Do we call her out for a runner's lane violation or not?

CecilOne Thu Apr 03, 2014 09:07am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manny A (Post 930387)
I don't see how you can hold the BR accountable ( (2) for not knowing where the ball is being thrown from on an uncaught third strike, unless maybe you expect her to get a signal from the first base coach to tell her she can or cannot run in fair territory and touch the white bag.

So, U3K ends up just behind the left-handed batter's box. F2 picks it up and throws to F3 who is straddling the firstbase line (3) just short of the bags. BR, thinking the ball went to the first base side of foul territory, runs in fair territory to touch white (3). F2's throw hits the BR in the right shoulder (4) . Do we call her out for a runner's lane violation or not? (5)

1 - The rule is about avoiding collisions.

2 - BR should see if the fielder is in foul
3 - if fielder straddling the line before the ball, OBS
4 - throw hitting the BR, ITUJ
5 - not a violation if throw from 1st base foul ground

6 - all variations from the norm, ITUJ

MD Longhorn Thu Apr 03, 2014 09:13am

Quote:

Originally Posted by CecilOne (Post 930394)
1 - The rule is about avoiding collisions.

2 - BR should see if the fielder is in foul
3 - if fielder straddling the line before the ball, OBS
4 - throw hitting the BR, ITUJ
5 - not a violation if throw from 1st base foul ground

6 - all variations from the norm, ITUJ

3 is not true. At least not yet, and not on its own.

CecilOne Thu Apr 03, 2014 09:49am

Quote:

Originally Posted by MD Longhorn (Post 930396)
3 is not true. At least not yet, and not on its own.

My quickly typed point being that it could be OBS if BR hindered; but mainly not a RL violation if fielder is blocking it. Sorry.

Rich Ives Thu Apr 03, 2014 09:54am

The best way to handle a double first base is to cut off the colored part and throw it in the garbage. :D

IRISHMAFIA Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Ives (Post 930399)
The best way to handle a double first base is to cut off the colored part and throw it in the garbage. :D

Been saying that for the decade or so it has been around. Unfortunately, then the coaches would have to teach the players how to properly play the position. Of course, you would first have to find someone to teach the coaches. :rolleyes:

xtremeump Sat Apr 05, 2014 09:26pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA (Post 930381)
Set up in foul territory on the 1st base side and, yes, it makes a difference.

Thank you for finishing my statement !! I thought that people on here would understand that if F2 was in Foul territory on the third base side, the F2 would not attempt a throw to the colored base ? Sorry for not being clear on a very simple play.

IRISHMAFIA Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:54pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by xtremeump (Post 930632)
Thank you for finishing my statement !! I thought that people on here would understand that if F2 was in Foul territory on the third base side, the F2 would not attempt a throw to the colored base ? Sorry for not being clear on a very simple play.

I agree it should be obvious, but the first year this came out, that seemed to be a point many umpire's just couldn't grasp. Quite a few couldn't grasp the idea of the ball coming from anywhere besides from the foul side of 1BL

LIUmp Sun Apr 06, 2014 02:28pm

U3K, ball lands in RIGHT handed batters box in foul ground. Left handed batter running down to first, left handed catcher pics up the ball. F3 is straddling both orange and white bags. BR running toward orange. Ball is thrown to white. Ball arrives half second before BR. There's a collision, chest to chest, between F3 and BR.

Call?

CecilOne Sun Apr 06, 2014 02:52pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by LIUmp (Post 930697)
U3K, ball lands in RIGHT handed batters box in foul ground. Left handed batter running down to first, left handed catcher pics up the ball. F3 is straddling both orange and white bags. BR running toward orange. Ball is thrown to white. Ball arrives half second before BR. There's a collision, chest to chest, between F3 and BR.

Call?

Out.

Assuming non-malicious, a warning that offense is responsible to avoid collisions.