The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 19, 2014, 12:33pm
Official Forum Member

2 Man Fly ball/line drive mechanics with runners on 2b/3b: Tips?

I had an assignment yesterday with two mismatched college teams. As a result, I spent most of the day in C position and a bunch of balls got hit over my head.

Anyone have any general tips for first movement when the ball goes over your head to left-center? The CCA manual wants you to stay outside on a single, but come in on fly balls and line drives. A few times, I felt out of position during the play whether I came inside the diamond or stayed out. (I might have been coming too deep towards 1B on balls that ended up getting caught.)

Should I read "single" to mean a sharp grounder to the outfield? Thanks all.
Old Wed Mar 19, 2014, 01:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teebob21 View Post
I had an assignment yesterday with two mismatched college teams. As a result, I spent most of the day in C position and a bunch of balls got hit over my head.

Anyone have any general tips for first movement when the ball goes over your head to left-center? The CCA manual wants you to stay outside on a single, but come in on fly balls and line drives. A few times, I felt out of position during the play whether I came inside the diamond or stayed out. (I might have been coming too deep towards 1B on balls that ended up getting caught.)

Should I read "single" to mean a sharp grounder to the outfield? Thanks all.
As far as where to go... think about the throwing lanes....it keeps me out of trouble, even at my size. Balls over my head in C, I come in the diamond...stay closer to 2nd, and adjust to the play from there. The faster you get in, the more time you will have to adjust to the play.
Old Wed Mar 19, 2014, 02:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by azbigdawg View Post
As far as where to go... think about the throwing lanes....it keeps me out of trouble, even at my size. Balls over my head in C, I come in the diamond...stay closer to 2nd, and adjust to the play from there. The faster you get in, the more time you will have to adjust to the play.
...he speaks the truth, plus he is big AND slow....

(this would be the pot calling the kettle black)
Old Thu Mar 20, 2014, 12:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by azbigdawg View Post
After almost taking a throw in the chin in fall ball, I'm doing a lot better about throwing lanes: trust me.

I'll probably work on getting in faster and shallower on line drives, and set up a little farther off the SS's shoulder. Ground balls past me, I'll stay outside of the diamond and (hopefully) out of the way.

Thanks for the tips, bigdawg.