The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   INT - How many outs? (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/97527-int-how-many-outs.html)

tcannizzo Sun Mar 16, 2014 08:57pm

INT - How many outs?

R1 on 3B, R2 on 1B, no outs.
B3 hits ground ball to F4.
R2 comes to a complete stop approx 40 feet from 2B (perhaps to avoid running into a tag)
As F4 tosses to F6 covering 2B, R2 re-starts running towards 2B.
1B Coach is hollering "Break it Up, Break it Up!"
R2 gets forced out easily, but as F6 attempts the double play at 1B, but R2 who is now about 10 feet from 2B, raises her hands hindering the throw.

Bottom line: A retired runner commits INT (obviously intentionally) for the purpose of preventing a double play.

Can we get three outs here?
1. R2 forced at 2B
2. R1 out [ASA 8.7.P]
3. BR out [ASA 8.7.J.2] ( which I have a problem with the way it is written)

Or... are #2 and #3 mutually exclusive?

What say ye?

DeputyUICHousto Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:31pm

No chance for 3 outs.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tcannizzo (Post 927318)
R2 comes to a complete stop approx 40 feet from 2B (perhaps to avoid running into a tag)
R2 gets forced out easily, but as F6 attempts the double play at 1B, but R2 who is now about 10 feet from 2B, raises her hands hindering the throw.

Bottom line: A retired runner commits INT (obviously intentionally) for the purpose of preventing a double play.

1. R2 forced at 2B
2. R1 out [ASA 8.7.P]

What say ye?

In my opinion you could only get a second out if the actions of R2 prevented the defense from getting an out on B3. The way the OP is worded with R1 stopping then starting again I'm having doubts about the ability of the defense to get the second out at 1st base. I have been known to be wrong though.

tcannizzo Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:03pm

You would HTBT.
So take it literally that there was a reasonable opportunity for a DP.

EsqUmp Mon Mar 17, 2014 06:15am

The runner closest to home would be out if you have interference by a retired runner.

argodad Mon Mar 17, 2014 07:52am

Quote:

Originally Posted by tcannizzo (Post 927318)

1. R2 forced at 2B
2. R1 out [ASA 8.7.P]

What say ye?

I say you get two. R2 on the force and R1 on INT by a retired runner.

Manny A Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:59pm

Why do you have a problem with the way 8-7-J-2 is written? It seems pretty clear to me what it intends to cover.

Example: R1 at second, two outs. Sharp ground ball to F6, and R1 moves to run behind F6 heading for third. As F6 comes up to throw to first base, R1 veers slighty and bumps F6 just as F6 tries to release the ball.

You cannot use this rule in your situation, since the runner was retired when she interfered.

tcannizzo Fri Mar 21, 2014 09:33am

Sorry for the delay was out of town for a few days with no computer.

Ya know what? Yes, I wrote that I did not like the way the rule was written, and in going back and reading it, I can't for the life of me remember bothered me about it. Probably just that it disallows the third out. :o

And yes, it is crystal clear in disallowing a third out as posed in the OP - and explaining why.

So, now I know.

IRISHMAFIA Fri Mar 21, 2014 04:35pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by tcannizzo (Post 928031)
Sorry for the delay was out of town for a few days with no computer.

Ya know what? Yes, I wrote that I did not like the way the rule was written, and in going back and reading it, I can't for the life of me remember bothered me about it. Probably just that it disallows the third out. :o

And yes, it is crystal clear in disallowing a third out as posed in the OP - and explaining why.

So, now I know.

Still have some ice on the brain, probably

tcannizzo Fri Mar 21, 2014 07:54pm

Now being mixed with bourbon.:cool: