The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   Black of the Plate - Strike? (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/97418-black-plate-strike.html)

bd41flpk Mon Mar 03, 2014 08:58am

Black of the Plate - Strike?

This is specifically an ASA 'slow-pitch' question: Would like to know if there's any rules reference as to whether a ball that exceeds the two corners of the plate and is considered to 'hit' the side (aka black) part of the plate can be considered a 'strike'?

I recall a few years back that this was in fact a rule put in play; however, I cannot locate a reference to this?

Any help is appreciated.

AtlUmpSteve Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:27am

By definition, the black part is NOT part of the strike zone, it exists solely to provide a color contrast to better see the edges of the plate. On many fields, the dirt on the sides cover that tapered area.

Also a proven fact that you can test at your convenience, it isn't physically possible for a sphere with the dimensions of a softball to touch the black part of the plate without also touching the white part. Try it, you cannot place the ball in that position due to natural curvature of the sphere. By rule, a ball, cannot be a strike.

MD Longhorn Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:18pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve (Post 925363)
Also a proven fact that you can test at your convenience, it isn't physically possible for a sphere with the dimensions of a softball to touch the black part of the plate without also touching the white part. Try it, you cannot place the ball in that position due to natural curvature of the sphere. By rule, a ball, cannot be a strike.

This is completely false. So false that I can't conceive of why someone I know to be very intelligent (you) would say such a thing.

Put the ball on the plate. Roll it to the left. At some point, the tangent of the ball is the white part of the plate. Roll it any amount more (up to the width of the black) and it's over the black, and not over the white.

pob14 Mon Mar 03, 2014 01:20pm

Longhorn, I'm pretty sure the others are talking about physically touching the plate, not being over it. The reference is to slow pitch, where a ball that touches the plate cannot be a strike.

MD Longhorn Mon Mar 03, 2014 01:58pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by pob14 (Post 925391)
Longhorn, I'm pretty sure the others are talking about physically touching the plate, not being over it. The reference is to slow pitch, where a ball that touches the plate cannot be a strike.

AH! OK,that makes complete sense now.

Well I feel a bit red-faced now. Sorry Atl!

bd41flpk Mon Mar 03, 2014 03:47pm

Thanks for the interpretations of what is 'psychically' capable of touching only the 'black' portion of the plate.

Must have been 'urban legend' or some other POE that I had heard of in the past where the 'black' was considered to be a 'strike' in ASA 'slow-pitch'.

Thanks again for the thoughts !

AtlUmpSteve Mon Mar 03, 2014 05:40pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MD Longhorn (Post 925405)
AH! OK,that makes complete sense now.

Well I feel a bit red-faced now. Sorry Atl!

No biggie, my friend. We all have been known to take a response out of context at some point in time.

IRISHMAFIA Mon Mar 03, 2014 06:23pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bd41flpk (Post 925433)
Thanks for the interpretations of what is 'psychically' capable of touching only the 'black' portion of the plate.

Must have been 'urban legend' or some other POE that I had heard of in the past where the 'black' was considered to be a 'strike' in ASA 'slow-pitch'.

From the 2013 ASA Clinic Guide:

<DIR> Home Plate:
<DIR> <DIR> <DIR>
a) If a pitch crosses over the black portion of the plate, it is assumed the pitch crossed over the white portion.
b) If the catcher is touching the black portion of the plate on a force out, it is considered to be also touching the
white portion.
c) If a runner touches the black portion of the plate, it is considered they also touched the white portion.
d) (Slow Pitch) If the ball touches the black portion of the plate, it is considered to have also touched the white portion.
</DIR></DIR></DIR></DIR>
NOTE: Seniors home plate (Rule 2, Section 3G) is a second home plate placed eight feet from the back tip of home plate on an extended line from first base. If a runner touches the regular home plate they are ruled out.

Tru_in_Blu Mon Mar 03, 2014 07:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bd41flpk (Post 925433)

And if the game is one step up from T-ball and your league is using a mat, then a pitch that clips the mat or plate (assuming all other legalities) is what you want to see.