The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   Runner out or safe (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/97195-runner-out-safe.html)

strike4 Wed Feb 05, 2014 09:14pm

Runner out or safe

R1 on 1B and leaves at the release of the pitch. B2 hits ball that touches F1 glove and then hits R1 while sliding toward 2B. F4 would have caught the ball for a close out if the ball had not hit R1. See FED rules 2.47.3a and 8.8.6. Both rules could apply with differing results. Please cited rule you are using when giving your opinion.

RKBUmp Wed Feb 05, 2014 09:31pm

Based on your description of the play I dont know how a runner who is sliding into a base would be able to avoid a ball that has been deflected. I would say 8-8-6 applies and the runner is not out.

IRISHMAFIA Thu Feb 06, 2014 08:22am

Quote:

Originally Posted by strike4 (Post 921486)
R1 on 1B and leaves at the release of the pitch. B2 hits ball that touches F1 glove and then hits R1 while sliding toward 2B. F4 would have caught the ball for a close out if the ball had not hit R1. See FED rules 2.47.3a and 8.8.6. Both rules could apply with differing results. Please cited rule you are using when giving your opinion.

2.47.3a is a definition to be used when applying rule, not a rule in itself.

Please cite a rule which would determine the runner to be called out.

strike4 Thu Feb 06, 2014 09:50am

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA (Post 921522)
2.47.3a is a definition to be used when applying rule, not a rule in itself.

Please cite a rule which would determine the runner to be called out.

See 8.6.10a. 2.47.3a is the definition of initial play. Rule 8.6.10a says "the runner is out if the runner interferes with a fielder attempting to make an initial play".

RKBUmp Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:00am

And 8-8-6 says the runner is not out if they could not avoid contact with the ball if it has been touched by any fielder, including the pitcher.

CecilOne Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:22am

Quote:

Originally Posted by RKBUmp (Post 921487)
Based on your description of the play I dont know how a runner who is sliding into a base would be able to avoid a ball that has been deflected. I would say 8-8-6 applies and the runner is not out.

Yep.

Dakota Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:27am

Quote:

Originally Posted by strike4 (Post 921536)
See 8.6.10a. 2.47.3a is the definition of initial play. Rule 8.6.10a says "the runner is out if the runner interferes with a fielder attempting to make an initial play".

How is being hit by a deflected batted ball interfering with a fielder?

strike4 Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:29am

Quote:

Originally Posted by RKBUmp (Post 921537)
And 8-8-6 says the runner is not out if they could not avoid contact with the ball if it has been touched by any fielder, including the pitcher.

Have you ever called a runner out who was running between bases and the ball hit her even though she tried to jump over it?

RKBUmp Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:33am

Quote:

Originally Posted by strike4 (Post 921549)
Have you ever called a runner out who was running between bases and the ball hit her even though she tried to jump over it?

Completely different situation than you originally posted. Yes, have called out plenty of runners for being hit by a batted ball before it passed an infielder. I have also had several situations where the ball was deflected and the runner had no ability to avoid the ball. The rule is pretty clear, if the ball was touched and the runner could not avoid contact they are not out.

DaveASA/FED Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:57am

Well I hate this part of the rule or in this case the combination of the rules. But I have to agree with strike 4 on this one. The runner would be out. By the citations that were given that fielder is still in the act of making an initial play per the defination so it is still INT. Again it gives me heart burn but as I have been told when I argued it....that's the way the rules are written.

strike4 Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:14am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dakota (Post 921548)
How is being hit by a deflected batted ball interfering with a fielder?

See page 67, rule 8.6.10a reads "The runner is out if runner interferes with a fielder attempting to make the initial play on a fair batted ball (2.47).

See page 25, 2.47.3a. Definition of initial play is: "Initial Play. A fielder is considered to be making an initial play on a fair batted ball when she has a reasonable chance to gain control of a ground ball that no other fielder (except the pitcher) has touched".

It is interference based on the definition of initial play and rule 8.6.10a.

See why I posted this question.

RKBUmp Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:19am

Then why is rule 8-8-6 in the rule book and specifically lists including the pitcher?

strike4 Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:26am

Quote:

Originally Posted by RKBUmp (Post 921557)
Then why is rule 8-8-6 in the rule book and specifically lists including the pitcher?

Now you see why I ask this question. You have two rules that seem to be in total conflict. I hope others will comment on this situation.

Andy Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:30am

This is the "hole" between the rule about making an initial play and being contacted by a deflected batted ball.

The only thing I see, and this is not an official interp, is that the 8-6-10a says ".... interferes with a fielder attempting to make the initial play on a fair batted ball..."

Does that imply that there must be some sort of contact or interaction between the runner and the fielder beyond just the runner being contacted by the deflected (by the pitcher) batted ball?

RKBUmp Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:34am

Andy, just sent you an email about this. I noticed the same thing in the rules clarifications for 8-6-10. When it discussed a deflected ball it only referenced the runner making contact with the fielder, not the ball.

youngump Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:35am

Quote:

Originally Posted by strike4 (Post 921558)
Now you see why I ask this question. You have two rules that seem to be in total conflict. I hope others will comment on this situation.

Here's how I understand it and the way I reconcile the rules.

There's two things you can interfere with. You can interfere with the ball or you can interfere with the player. And the rules reference each separately.

If you run into the player who is fielding the ball, then you're going to be out because the rule protects them throughout the initial play.

If you run into the ball (or it runs into you), then we have a few variations (The third is this scenario):
if it is untouched and behind a fielder with no other fielder having a chance to make an out, you're fine unless it's intentional.
if it is untouched and behind a fielder with another fielder having a chance to make an out, you're out.
if it is deflected, you're fine unless it's intentional.
In the first two cases, the pitcher doesn't count as a fielder. (Otherwise the ball would always be past her by the time it hits you.)

jmkupka Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:56am

young ump,

re:scenario 1;

even if the runner runs into a fielder who has drastically altered her direction of travel due to the deflected ball (and runner cannot avoid contact)?

Insane Blue Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:29pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by strike4 (Post 921486)
R1 on 1B and leaves at the release of the pitch. B2 hits ball that touches F1 glove and then hits R1 while sliding toward 2B. F4 would have caught the ball for a close out if the ball had not hit R1.

Quote:

Rule 8 Section 6 A runner is out. Article 10 The runner interferes (a)with a fielder attempting to make the initial play on a fair batted ball.

Rule 8 Section 8 A runner is not out. Article 6 A runner is hit with a fair batted ball after it touches or is touched by, any fielder, including the pitcher, and the runner could not avoid contact with the ball.

The rules do not conflict at all they cover 2 different situations.

R1 on 1B and leaves at the release of the pitch. B2 hits ball that touches F1 glove (initial play)and then hits R1 while sliding toward 2B. F4 would have caught the ball for a close out (please explain what you mean a close out) if the ball had not hit R1.

strike4 Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:43pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Insane Blue (Post 921567)
Rule 8 Section 6 A runner is out. Article 10 The runner interferes (a)with a fielder attempting to make the initial play on a fair batted ball.

Rule 8 Section 8 A runner is not out. Article 6 A runner is hit with a fair batted ball after it touches or is touched by, any fielder, including the pitcher, and the runner could not avoid contact with the ball.

The rules do not conflict at all they cover 2 different situations.

R1 on 1B and leaves at the release of the pitch. B2 hits ball that touches F1 glove (initial play)and then hits R1 while sliding toward 2B. F4 would have caught the ball for a close out (please explain what you mean a close out) if the ball had not hit R1.

A close out means that if the runner had not been hit by the ball, the fielder could have caught the ball and made an out, but it would be a bang bang play.

Which situation covers my play? Would you call the runner out or safe in this play? Please cite which rule you would use to make your call.

Dakota Thu Feb 06, 2014 01:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by strike4 (Post 921556)
See page 67, rule 8.6.10a reads "The runner is out if runner interferes with a fielder attempting to make the initial play on a fair batted ball (2.47).

See page 25, 2.47.3a. Definition of initial play is: "Initial Play. A fielder is considered to be making an initial play on a fair batted ball when she has a reasonable chance to gain control of a ground ball that no other fielder (except the pitcher) has touched".

It is interference based on the definition of initial play and rule 8.6.10a.

See why I posted this question.

The rule does NOT say "interferes with a fielder's attempt..." it says "interferes with a fielder attempting..."

The interference must be with the fielder (not necessarily by contact). In the play described, the runner is merely contacted by a deflected batted ball. The fielder is not interfered with.

CecilOne Thu Feb 06, 2014 01:26pm

Quote:

8.8.6 is the ball hitting a runner who would be out except for the deflection.

8.6.10 is INT with a fielder, as in hindering movement, contact with the fielder that prevents fielding, etc.

Insane Blue Thu Feb 06, 2014 01:40pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by strike4 (Post 921569)
A close out means that if the runner had not been hit by the ball, the fielder could have caught the ball and made an out, but it would be a bang bang play.

Which situation covers my play? Would you call the runner out or safe in this play? Please cite which rule you would use to make your call.

8-8-6 is the only rule to use on this play plain and simple

MD Longhorn Thu Feb 06, 2014 03:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by strike4 (Post 921536)

There's a difference between interfering with a fielder and interfering with the path of the ball.

MD Longhorn Thu Feb 06, 2014 03:16pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveASA/FED (Post 921554)
Well I hate this part of the rule or in this case the combination of the rules. But I have to agree with strike 4 on this one. The runner would be out. By the citations that were given that fielder is still in the act of making an initial play per the defination so it is still INT. Again it gives me heart burn but as I have been told when I argued it....that's the way the rules are written.

It's not. Getting hit by the ball is one rule. Interfering with a FIELDER is a different rule.

youngump Thu Feb 06, 2014 05:31pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmkupka (Post 921564)
young ump,

re:scenario 1;

even if the runner runs into a fielder who has drastically altered her direction of travel due to the deflected ball (and runner cannot avoid contact)?

You say that like I'm forgetting something but if so I've forgotten it. As I understand it (it being the offseason and all), yes, a fielder making an initial play is protected from being interfered with even unintentionally.

strike4 Fri Feb 07, 2014 07:52am

Thanks for all the comments. They caused me to think a little deeper about the rules.

Based on some of the comments, let me add an additional thought to the question. Would it make a difference in how you ruled if the charging fielder stopped or slowed down because the runner slid between her and the ball on an initial play? Is contact necessary before you would call interference?

MD Longhorn Fri Feb 07, 2014 09:25am

Quote:

Originally Posted by strike4 (Post 921647)
Thanks for all the comments. They caused me to think a little deeper about the rules.

Based on some of the comments, let me add an additional thought to the question. Would it make a difference in how you ruled if the charging fielder stopped or slowed down because the runner slid between her and the ball on an initial play? Is contact necessary before you would call interference?

Contact is not necessary - what you describe would be interference with a fielder. Which would be illegal if the fielder was making an initial play.

CecilOne Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:12am

Quote:

Originally Posted by MD Longhorn (Post 921662)
Contact is not necessary - what you describe would be interference with a fielder. Which would be illegal if the fielder was making an initial play.

I thought we were talking about a runner being struck by the ball they could not avoid. Is the fielder stopping really a different question? I understood strike4's last post as the same as OP, with the fielder recognizing the situation.

strike4 Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:18am

Quote:

Originally Posted by CecilOne (Post 921680)
I thought we were talking about a runner being struck by the ball they could not avoid. Is the fielder stopping really a different question? I understood strike4's last post as the same as OP, with the fielder recognizing the situation.

That is correct.

Insane Blue Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:51am

Quote:

Originally Posted by strike4 (Post 921647)

No it would not the initial play is over once the ball was deflected.

Are you just trying to get us all to call an out no matter how legal the play is???

CecilOne Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:57am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Insane Blue (Post 921717)

No, even a ground ball being an initial play is not changed by the pitcher.

Insane Blue Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by CecilOne (Post 921720)
No, even a ground ball being an initial play is not changed by the pitcher.

Yes it is if it was deflected as in the OP re-read my rule reference post

strike4 Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Insane Blue (Post 921717)

Are you just trying to get us all to call an out no matter how legal the play is???

Here is the definition of initial play. What do you think after reading it? I am just getting opinions on the play. I hate this play.

Insane Blue Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:18pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by strike4 (Post 921726)
Here is the definition of initial play. What do you think after reading it? I am just getting opinions on the play. I hate this play.

That is true but you still seem to want to adjust the question over and over without enough information!
You said the fielder slows down and the runner slides between them. Is she sliding into the base between the bases why did the Fielder slow down and so on that is the problem with what ifs.

MD Longhorn Fri Feb 07, 2014 02:11pm

I think the problem here is that Strike4 asked a question without specifying the context. Re-state the new scenario you want a ruling on, and we can respond.

Remember, though... interference with a FIELDER is ruled on via one rule; interference with the ball is ruled via a different rule (or rules, really). Often the ruling is the same, but we're discussing here (at least in the OP) one of the times it's not.

strike4 Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:49pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MD Longhorn (Post 921747)
I think the problem here is that Strike4 asked a question without specifying the context. Re-state the new scenario you want a ruling on, and we can respond.

Remember, though... interference with a FIELDER is ruled on via one rule; interference with the ball is ruled via a different rule (or rules, really). Often the ruling is the same, but we're discussing here (at least in the OP) one of the times it's not.

Here is the new scenario:

R1 on 1B and leaves at the release of the pitch. B2 hits a ground ball that touches F1 glove and then hits R1 while sliding toward 2B. F4 stops just prior to running into R1 who is between her and the deflected ball. F4 would have caught the ball and tagged 2B for an out if the ball had not hit R1. Is this interference and R1 out? Would it have been interference if F4 had not stopped and ran into R1 while trying to get to the ball?

RKBUmp Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:25am

You cite FED rules in your original post, is it FED rulings specifically you are looking for? Under ASA rules once a ball is deflected the runner must do something intentional to interfere.

That is my problem with the wording of FED rules. Under 8-8-6 it recognizes on a deflected ball the runner does not necessarily have the ability to avoid being hit by the ball, yet under the strict wording of 8-6-10 they technically would be responsible for avoiding a fielder who is going after a deflected ball by the pitcher, but not any other fielder.

CecilOne Sat Feb 08, 2014 07:55am

Quote:

Originally Posted by strike4 (Post 921814)

R1 on 1B and leaves at the release of the pitch. B2 hits a ground ball that touches F1 glove and then hits R1 while sliding toward 2B. F4 stops just prior to running into R1 who is between her and the deflected ball. F4 would have caught the ball and tagged 2B for an out if the ball had not hit R1. Is this interference and R1 out? Would it have been interference if F4 had not stopped and ran into R1 while trying to get to the ball?

It is not INT with a fielder if an unavoidable deflected ball hits the runner.

Quote:

F4 would have caught the ball and tagged 2B for an out if the ball had not hit R1. .....snip .... Would it have been interference if F4 had not stopped and ran into R1 while trying to get to the ball?

If that occurred ITUJ before the ball hit the runner, then INT. If that, then it no longer matters if the ball hits the runner, already dead.

Manny A Sat Feb 08, 2014 08:21am

Quote:

First off, you need to stop referring to F4 being able to catch the ball. That implies that the ball is still in flight. Not that it really makes any difference in the play itself, but the proper way to describe the play is that "...F4 would have fielded the ball and tagged 2B..."

Now, you say that R1 was hit by the batted ball as she was sliding into second base. Hmmm... I'm not sure I'm seeing F4 being able to field the ball and tag second base ahead of R1 if R1 is already into her slide here.

This one is so bang-bang, I would have a hard time ruling that R1 interfered with F4 before the deflected ball hit her while she was sliding into second. I would have to clearly see that F4 stopped or jumped back to avoid R1 before R1 slid into second base to rule interference.

strike4 Sat Feb 08, 2014 09:06am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manny A (Post 921843)
First off, you need to stop referring to F4 being able to catch the ball. That implies that the ball is still in flight. Not that it really makes any difference in the play itself, but the proper way to describe the play is that "...F4 would have fielded the ball and tagged 2B..."

Now, you say that R1 was hit by the batted ball as she was sliding into second base. Hmmm... I'm not sure I'm seeing F4 being able to field the ball and tag second base ahead of R1 if R1 is already into her slide here.

This one is so bang-bang, I would have a hard time ruling that R1 interfered with F4 before the deflected ball hit her while she was sliding into second. I would have to clearly see that F4 stopped or jumped back to avoid R1 before R1 slid into second base to rule interference.

You are correct in in the "fielded" wording. I think you see my point on the bang-bang part that makes this play a problem. Thanks.

IRISHMAFIA Sat Feb 08, 2014 07:16pm

Initial play is irrelevant to the scenario in the OP.

Tex Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:51am

A few years ago, I had ask our state (Texas) rules interpreter the difference between these two rules (2-47-3 and 8-6-10) to determine "Initial play or a Deflected ball" for a hit ball.

Rule's Interpreter advice
"You ask yourself, who caused the ball to hit the runner, if it was the defense, the runner is not out, if the runner prevents the defense from playing their game, it is an out."

IRISHMAFIA Sun Feb 09, 2014 09:37pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tex (Post 921977)
A few years ago, I had ask our state (Texas) rules interpreter the difference between these two rules (2-47-3 and 8-6-10) to determine "Initial play or a Deflected ball" for a hit ball.

Rule's Interpreter advice
"You ask yourself, who caused the ball to hit the runner, if it was the defense, the runner is not out, if the runner prevents the defense from playing their game, it is an out."

Was that Walter? Sounds like him.

MD Longhorn Mon Feb 10, 2014 09:56am

Quote:

Given that the ball hit the runner - the fielder stopping is nothing - they had no ball to play. (See interception and catchable ball nonsense on the Gronkowski play... :) )

Question to the peanut gallery on Strike's follow up question --- if the ball hit R1, and then R1 and F4 collide... don't we have obstruction (and likely a quite pissed off coach!)?

MD Longhorn Mon Feb 10, 2014 09:58am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manny A (Post 921843)
First off, you need to stop referring to F4 being able to catch the ball.

Interesting ... given that he typed CAUGHT or CATCH multiple times, I'm envisioning an airborne ball during this entire play - deflected but still in the air...

Andy Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:10am

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA (Post 921906)
Initial play is irrelevant to the scenario in the OP.

I'm going to ask you to explain this.

Initial play (as defined in FED rules) is the centerpoint of this whole play.

CecilOne Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:57am

Quote:

Originally Posted by MD Longhorn (Post 922084)
--- if the ball hit R1, and then R1 and F4 collide... don't we have obstruction (and likely a quite pissed off coach!)?

Obviously for the newbies you mean if F4 hindered the runner!
The OP implies already reaching 2nd.

IRISHMAFIA Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:54pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy (Post 922111)
I'm going to ask you to explain this.

Initial play (as defined in FED rules) is the centerpoint of this whole play.

It's the OP perception that it is the centerpoint. This is a deflected batted ball hitting the runner not in contact with a base. It is not interfering with a fielder attempting to field a batted ball on the initial play.

shagpal Tue Feb 11, 2014 01:12am

pull the word "act" on these boys.

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA (Post 922250)
It's the OP perception that it is the centerpoint. This is a deflected batted ball hitting the runner not in contact with a base. It is not interfering with a fielder attempting to field a batted ball on the initial play.

shagpal Tue Feb 18, 2014 03:23am

OK, I found this. comment if you think this does or does not apply.

this reads as an initial play per the casebook 2.47.3B.

in this case, it states that if the ball deflects off the pitcher, it is still considered an initial play. however the case refers to a runner contacting the fielder after a deflected ball. it is not addressing a runner being struck by that deflected ball.

per 2.47.3B, if it is deflected off of any fielder other than the pitcher, it is no longer an initial play.

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA (Post 922250)

IRISHMAFIA Tue Feb 18, 2014 07:34am

Quote:

Originally Posted by shagpal (Post 923404)
OK, I found this. comment if you think this does or does not apply.

this reads as an initial play per the casebook 2.47.3B.

in this case, it states that if the ball deflects off the pitcher, it is still considered an initial play. however the case refers to a runner contacting the fielder after a deflected ball. it is not addressing a runner being struck by that deflected ball.

per 2.47.3B, if it is deflected off of any fielder other than the pitcher, it is no longer an initial play.

Again, and again and again.........there is no interference with the fielder, so the initial play issue is irrelevant.

MD Longhorn Tue Feb 18, 2014 09:35am

I'm stunned that this thread has become 4 pages of actual umpires (not fans and coaches) who don't see the glaring difference between interfering with a fielder and getting struck by a ball (or interfering with a ball). They are treated completely differently.

shagpal Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:55am

who said interference? there is no "act". didn't you take everyone on that road before?

in the casebook, there was contact w/ the fielder, so that was the act. this is a deflected ball, but the casebook calls it an "initial play". let you guys reconcile that.

I just posted what I found. I don't even work HS.

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA (Post 923411)
Again, and again and again.........there is no interference with the fielder, so the initial play issue is irrelevant.

IRISHMAFIA Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:41pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MD Longhorn (Post 923422)
I'm stunned that this thread has become 4 pages of actual umpires (not fans and coaches) who don't see the glaring difference between interfering with a fielder and getting struck by a ball (or interfering with a ball). They are treated completely differently.

Apparently, it is a reading comprehension thing. :)