The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Aug 13, 2003, 03:58pm
Official Forum Member

Unhappy

I don't know if this is proper web board posting, but I "know" you folks here much better than I know the folks on the baseball board.

There is a thread over there on whether "Take Me Out To The Ballgame" is sung at all ballparks during the 7th inning stretch. Nevermind that the 7th inning stretch in softball is reaching for your post-game beverage of choice

Anyway, some said that at their city's ball park they started singing "God Bless America" either alone or along with "Take Me Out..." after 9/11. This quote was a reply to that...
Quote:
we gave up singing God Bless America because it was time to move on, were back to only take me out to the ballgame.
That is a sad statement. Was it "time to move on" in 1943? The war is not over, folks. What do you guys & gals think?
Old Wed Aug 13, 2003, 07:54pm
Official Forum Member

Whether it's time to retire "God Bless America" during the 7th-inning stretch or not, the events of September 11 are still with us. We have a long, difficult road ahead in dealing with a new kind of threat, one the founders of our nation never could have foreseen, a threat that was simply inconceivable not so long ago. The country cannot "move on" until we take care of business, and we've only just begun doing that.

"Move on" is a favorite term of attorneys defending people who have committed loathsome crimes, as in "This has been a tragedy for everyone involved, and now the best thing is for all of us to move on and let the healing process begin." Translation: "No question my client did it, but what's done is done, so let's forget about it and not worry about punishing my client."
Old Wed Aug 13, 2003, 07:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dakota
What do you guys & gals think?
Yin and Yang.

Part of me wants to realize that there is a time for extreme closeness, reminding your fellow citizens that you we are one no matter what we have said and done to each other in the past; that putting the flag on everything is a way to show respect even if the specifics of the codes for flying the flag are pushed to the limit.

And I think there are other times that we need to be argumentative with each other to make sure that neither liberals nor conservatives are too dominent a political group, that we argue about whether State sponsored events should be allowed to have religious overtones or not; that we handle the subjects of abortion, gun control or "God" in pledges and songs; that we argue about whether Bush is a country bumkin or Clinton is a horney idiot. The peaceful resolution of that type of conflict is what keeps us a strong nation.

But there is another part of me that says, "Time to move on?!?!?" Let me buy you a ticket on the next plane to Budapest.
Old Wed Aug 13, 2003, 10:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dakota
I don't know if this is proper web board posting, but I "know" you folks here much better than I know the folks on the baseball board.

There is a thread over there on whether "Take Me Out To The Ballgame" is sung at all ballparks during the 7th inning stretch. Nevermind that the 7th inning stretch in softball is reaching for your post-game beverage of choice

Anyway, some said that at their city's ball park they started singing "God Bless America" either alone or along with "Take Me Out..." after 9/11. This quote was a reply to that...
Quote:
we gave up singing God Bless America because it was time to move on, were back to only take me out to the ballgame.
That is a sad statement. Was it "time to move on" in 1943? The war is not over, folks. What do you guys & gals think?
You really don't want my opinion on this subject.
Old Thu Aug 14, 2003, 05:16pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by IRISHMAFIA
Quote:

You really don't want my opinion on this subject.
Ditto.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.