The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   Batter Interference (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/97051-batter-interference.html)

bwbuddy Fri Jan 17, 2014 02:18pm

Batter Interference

NFHS, batter interference with runner from third trying to score on passed ball. Batter out, runner out, or both?

teebob21 Fri Jan 17, 2014 02:24pm

To be clear in this scenario, the batter (Team A) interferes with R1 (also Team A) coming home from 3B?

If so, at this point, I have nothing (and we're probably going to get an easy tag out).

Andy Fri Jan 17, 2014 02:47pm

In most cases involving interference by an active player, the player who interferes is the one that is declared out. Runners are sent back to the last base acheived at the time of the interference.

RKBUmp Fri Jan 17, 2014 03:53pm

Did batter interfere with one of the defenders or the runner? You say interference with the runner, you cant have interference with their own runner.

Manny A Sat Jan 18, 2014 05:00pm

I'm fairly certain he was talking about the batter interfering with a play on the runner attempting to score. I can't imagine he's asking about a batter hindering her own teammate.

Batter is out, runner returns. FED 7-4-4 and 8-5-3.

Dakota Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:32pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bwbuddy (Post 918847)
NFHS, batter interference while runner from third trying to score on passed ball. Batter out, runner out, or both?

Pretty sure this is what he was saying...

IRISHMAFIA Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:08am

Quote:

Originally Posted by teebob21 (Post 918849)
To be clear in this scenario, the batter (Team A) interferes with R1 (also Team A) coming home from 3B?

Pretty sure a batter and runner have to be on the same team.

Quote:

If so, at this point, I have nothing (and we're probably going to get an easy tag out).
Since we have been told the was INT, I believe 7-4-4 would apply and the batter would be out. That would make it an immediate dead ball and the runner's return to last base

teebob21 Mon Jan 20, 2014 02:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA (Post 919086)
Pretty sure a batter and runner have to be on the same team.

No wonder I've been getting yelled at so much!! :D

If, as another poster said, the batter interferes with the defense on the passed ball, we have an out and the runner returns to the base occupied at the time of the pitch.

I still have nothing if she interferes with her own teammate.

DaveASA/FED Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:59am

Quote:

Originally Posted by teebob21 (Post 919285)
I still have nothing if she interferes with her own teammate.

One thing to think of, that others have said already is be VERY careful with your wording. As some have pointed out already you are using interference incorrectly. By definition (see below) you can not have interference by a batter with their own runner. INT is something that the offense does to the defense. One thing that helps umpires is to be very clear in the terms they use, both here on the forum and during games. When we read, or a coach that knows the rules hears interference out of an umpires mouth they expect someone on the offense to be called out. And once you say that on a field you have a lot of extra explaining to do (LUCY>>>sorry) if you dont' call someone out! So using rule book terminology as much as possible without totally quoting the entire book will help keep you out of trouble, or at least reduce the extra trouble that comes with misleading answers! JMO!

2-32-1 NFHS Rules
ART. 1 . . .Interference is an act (physical or verbal) by a member of the team at bat who illegally impedes, hinders or confuses any fielder; or when a runner creates malicious contact with any fielder with or without the ball, in or out of the baseline