The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Aug 19, 2003, 09:31am
Official Forum Member

...did anybody see the LLWS game between Ohio and Washington yesterday? On the closing end of a double play, the ball just beat the runner by the proverbial hair, a situation that I have been taught to always "sell." The umpire at first punched his right arm forward in an uppercut fashion, and rested the right elbow in the palm of his left hand. That just didn't work for me. Look kind of sloppy and unconcerned.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Tue Aug 19, 2003, 11:00am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally posted by Skahtboi
...did anybody see the LLWS game between Ohio and Washington yesterday? On the closing end of a double play, the ball just beat the runner by the proverbial hair, a situation that I have been taught to always "sell." The umpire at first punched his right arm forward in an uppercut fashion, and rested the right elbow in the palm of his left hand. That just didn't work for me. Look kind of sloppy and unconcerned.

Might make you think he had his mind made up ahead of time. Maybe he strained his elbow trying to knockout Rocky.

I don't do the full body sell, but on a call like that, I exaggerate the hammer, with an extra step and stare, and use a lot more voice.
Old Tue Aug 19, 2003, 09:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Skahtboi
Yes, I saw it. It didn't look THAT close, but close enough to sell the call a little more. Unlike Cecil, I will sell myself on most every call that is close--body and voice. Maybe that's why my throat hurts after those long ones?