The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Aug 07, 2003, 05:55pm
Official Forum Member

Ok I have a question. My softball team and I lost our tournament game in double over time by one point because an umpire changed his call is he allowed to do that after the play is over?
Old Thu Aug 07, 2003, 06:08pm
Official Forum Member

If you lost after two extra innings by one run, it must have been an exciting game. Unfortunately for your team, yes, the umpire can change his call after the play is over. Though we would prefer to get it right immediately.

You should consider your teams lucky to have an umpire that wanted to make sure he got the call right even when he knew that the fans and teams would give him a hard time.
Old Thu Aug 07, 2003, 06:16pm
Official Forum Member

can an ump.....

but can an umpire change his call under the infulence of a player from the other team?
Old Thu Aug 07, 2003, 07:15pm
Official Forum Member

Though, "under the influence" is probably not the correct term, yes he can.

Here's one that happened to me a long time back. Foul pop-up hit near the offensive dugout. The 3rd baseman moved over toward the dugout. Just as the fielder got there, the ball still about 30-40 feet in the air, the quiet dugout all scream at once, "I've got it!" They scream so loud the fielder literial jumps back and turns her head away like she is getting ready to collide with someone. I call "verbal interference" and go back to the plate.

The offensive coach calmly walks up to me and says, "Verbal interference?" and I say, "yeah, that's an out." The coach then says, but the ball fell into dead ball territory, she couldn't have caught it. I realized that he was right. I was concentrating so much on the fielder that it had not registered that I had noticed the ball fall into dead ball territory. With the high fence there was no way the fielder could have caught it. I immediately overturned my call... "under the influence" of the coach.
Old Thu Aug 07, 2003, 08:36pm
Official Forum Member

Dan,
but that was "under the influence" of a COACH. our umpire changed his call "under the influence" of a PLAYER. i was reading some rules that i found and it said that the only people who can question the ump is a coach or a assistant coach.
Katee
Old Fri Aug 08, 2003, 06:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by softballfreak
Dan,
but that was "under the influence" of a COACH. our umpire changed his call "under the influence" of a PLAYER. i was reading some rules that i found and it said that the only people who can question the ump is a coach or a assistant coach.
Katee
Katee,

The question was asked and answered. Give it a break.

Thank you,
Old Sun Aug 10, 2003, 07:41am
Official Forum Member

Katee,

The question was asked and answered. Give it a break.

Thank you,

What ever happened to free speech? Any posts that you don't agree with or don't interest you have to ignored?

I'll just sit back now and wait for the invitation to the other board. Please list it for softballfreak also.

My point is unless this is YOUR board and YOUR the administrator YOU should allow anyone to post what they want and voice their opinions,

Glen

Old Sun Aug 10, 2003, 11:50am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to AlabamaBlue
Glen, does that rule go for everyone except Mike Rowe? Or is he allowed to post his opinion that Katee should give it a rest? Just curious...
Old Sun Aug 10, 2003, 12:31pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Katee (the future of softball) is allowed to post anything, anytime. She will be even more welcome and receive more and better responses as her questions get more objective.

Mike is allowed to post only when he is correct.
Old Sun Aug 10, 2003, 03:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by CecilOne
Katee (the future of softball) is allowed to post anything, anytime.

Mike is allowed to post only when he is correct.
wrt Mike, is there a difference?
Old Sun Aug 10, 2003, 03:09pm
Official Forum Member

you know what im sry i even asked the question if this is gonna cuz people to fight then ill just keep my mouth shut im just trying to help my softball team
Katee
Old Sun Aug 10, 2003, 03:36pm
Official Forum Member

Don't be discouraged to post here, Katee. This is a great place to learn more about softball, even if you think you know it already. I'm 90% wrong when I post (Ask those who have corrected me.) and I'm learning all the time. Some very respected people are here willing to answer your questions and give you the help that you need.
Old Sun Aug 10, 2003, 03:56pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally posted by softballfreak
you know what im sry i even asked the question if this is gonna cuz people to fight then ill just keep my mouth shut im just trying to help my softball team
Katee
Not fighting, just debating with a little teasing thrown in. Most of us use this forum enough that we can tease each other and some are personally acquainted . You will get used to it, especially if you look for the smilies.
Old Sun Aug 10, 2003, 04:03pm
Official Forum Member

Katee, Keep reading, and posting. I would hope you always want to improve yourself, and your team. The problems players pose help me at least to keep a perspective from a players point of view. As you may realize, softball rules can at times be subject to "Umpires Judgement". If you read this board enough, you will see that term frequently. Umpires do err at times, (and also like to argue with each other A LOT, you didn't cause that!). Sometimes if we ask, and dont get the answer we want, we will try and argue our point, that is fine in this forum, cause it really makes us all think very hard about our calls, and interpretations of the rules. I have coached many years, and now umpire. One point I would like you to consider is one I would make to my girls, that is (as in your original post) A bad call did not cause you to lose. Your team had the whole game to outscore the other team, so the loss doesnt go to the umpire, and why did ya'll let that runner get to third anyway? If after that tight of a game, two extra innings, hold your head up, you didn't get beat, just outscored! Keep the posts coming.
Old Sun Aug 10, 2003, 05:02pm
Official Forum Member

jel
we let the runner get to third base cuz our pitcher let us down cuz she complained to our coach!