The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Oct 13, 2013, 03:02pm
Official Forum Member

1+1

Fly ball is hit to F6 and caught. F6 throws to first to try to double up runner there. Ball is thrown into dead ball territory.

Which levels of softball award second and which award third? I know some do.

Rita
Old Sun Oct 13, 2013, 03:29pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita C View Post
Fly ball is hit to F6 and caught. F6 throws to first to try to double up runner there. Ball is thrown into dead ball territory.

Rita
All 5 I know would be third, assuming the runner is either on 1st or between 1st and 2nd.

NOT 1+1, just 2 bases.
Old Sun Oct 13, 2013, 04:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Rita
I thought this has been beaten to death on just about every softball board, never to be revived.

Guess not.

Two from the time of the release of the throw. Two from the time of the release of the throw. Two from the tim......
Old Sun Oct 13, 2013, 04:11pm
Official Forum Member

Third base under ASA, USSSA, PONY, and NCAA.

I don't work FED, but I believe it's the same as the four above.

Other codes, LLSB, ISF, PGF, NSA, etc.? No idea.
Old Sun Oct 13, 2013, 06:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Rita
It is my understanding that USSSA slowpitch (only; not even USSSA fastpitch) defines this award as the one they are heading to plus one.

I have NEVER heard of any other recognized organization or ruleset saying anything other "two from the time of the throw", without any regard to which direction the runner is heading at the time of the throw.
Old Sun Oct 13, 2013, 08:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve View Post
It is my understanding that USSSA slowpitch (only; not even USSSA fastpitch) defines this award as the one they are heading to plus one.

I have NEVER heard of any other recognized organization or ruleset saying anything other "two from the time of the throw", without any regard to which direction the runner is heading at the time of the throw.
Thank you. I was pretty sure there was one brand of slow pitch that did.

Rita
Old Sun Oct 13, 2013, 08:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

LLSB, being derived from OBR, is two bases from the time of the pitch for a throw on the first play by an infielder. You're correct that the direction does not matter.
Old Mon Oct 14, 2013, 10:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Does that mean an award of only 2nd if the runner is heading back to 1st in an OP type situation??
Old Mon Oct 14, 2013, 11:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabby_Bob View Post
LLSB, being derived from OBR, is two bases from the time of the pitch for a throw on the first play by an infielder. You're correct that the direction does not matter.
The catch is the first play.

West Houston Mike
Old Mon Oct 14, 2013, 11:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post
Does that mean an award of only 2nd if the runner is heading back to 1st in an OP type situation??
For USSSA, it's an award of second base no matter which way the runner is heading.

That is, no matter which way the runner is heading, the base award is (one) the base that was left too soon on the catch, then (two) the next advanced base. The runner's direction when the ball was thrown or went out of play is irrelevant.
Old Mon Oct 14, 2013, 11:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
The catch is the first play.
Thank you.
Old Mon Oct 14, 2013, 12:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BretMan View Post
For USSSA, it's an award of second base no matter which way the runner is heading.

That is, no matter which way the runner is heading, the base award is (one) the base that was left too soon on the catch, then (two) the next advanced base. The runner's direction when the ball was thrown or went out of play is irrelevant.
Please keep saying slow pitch for this, USSSA Fast Pitch is like the normal world, two from wherever the runner at the TOT.
Old Mon Oct 14, 2013, 03:14pm
Official Forum Member

This happened to me once. On Monday night wearing a red shirt (USSSA Slow pitch) trying to double off a runner who had left too early ball goes out of play, I put the runner at second. Offensive coach goes nuts, a lot too nuts and gets to watch the rest of the game from the parking lot. On Friday the same team but with me in a blue shirt (ASA Slow pitch) the near exact thing happens, but this time the team is on defense, I put the runner on third. Same coach goes nuts telling me that the guy from Monday told him the runner only gets second. I remind him that was me and the ruling was correct for Monday, but incorrect for Friday. While his behavior was better, he never understood that the difference wasn’t days of the week but governing bodies. He protested the ASA game to USSSA (protest denied, thanks for the $25).
Old Mon Oct 14, 2013, 05:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post
Please keep saying slow pitch for this, USSSA Fast Pitch is like the normal world, two from wherever the runner at the TOT.
Well, every post up to mine stated that this was the case for slow pitch, and the part from your post I quoted was specially about slow pitch, so it seemed kind of redundant to say it again.

But if it will make you happy...slow pitch, slow pitch, slow pitch!
Old Thu Oct 17, 2013, 01:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Can anyone know what this ruling would be for National Federation.of Softball Slowpitch would be? My daughter's middle school plays by this rule set and the umpires are oblivious of rules. Had one award a ground rule triple when he could see the ball in the outfield corner, (never went out of play. F7 immediately pick up the ball. He killed the play when the batter/runner reached 3rd base)