The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Sep 30, 2013, 05:20pm
Official Forum Member

Possible interference on batter-runner for standing still?

I had a play in a recent game and am now second-guessing myself, so I would appreciate your opinions/rule cites.

ASA, slow pitch. No outs, bases empty.

Batter hits a shallow popup directly in front of home plate -- ball goes up about 15 feet and comes down in fair territory a few feet in front of the batter's box.

Batter-Runner freezes, does not run, does not do anything but stand in the box.

F2 jumps up to try to catch the shallow popup, but BR is standing between her and the batted ball. F2 pulls up short behind home plate and it seemed obvious that F2 stopped because she didn't want to run into BR in the effort to field the ball.

The ball landed in fair territory but spun back and hit BR, still standing in the box. I called a foul ball (no interference).

F2 wanted interference and also asked if the rules would have permitted her to knock down the batter to go after the ball.

At the time I reasoned that this a nobody-is-at-fault situation -- similar to a bunt in which both the batter and catcher collide while doing what they are supposed to do. I explained to myself and the catcher that BR, by simply standing still, had not committed an act that would make me rule interference. I sold it to the catcher as best I could (given that I was immediately wondering if I had blown the call), and she let it go.

Now I am wondering if I should have thought about it a little longer and corrected my call by ruling interference on the batter-runner. I am not sure if there is language in the ASA book to support a non-action (BR standing still but blocking the catcher's attempt to field the batted ball) being treated as interference -- what do you have?

Thanks,
Scott
Old Mon Sep 30, 2013, 05:26pm
Official Forum Member

As you describe it, I have interference.
Old Mon Sep 30, 2013, 05:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
As you describe it, I have interference.
Have to agree. the BB is not a haven. OTOH, I would have to see the catcher's effort.
Old Mon Sep 30, 2013, 09:17pm
Official Forum Member

A defensive player must be given the opportunity to field a batted ball anywhere on the playing field; therefore I would consider interference. You can refer to the rule definition; which is: the act of offensive player or team member, umpire or spectator that impedes, hinders, or confuses a defensive player attempting to execute a play. Contact is not necessary. If the catcher was attempting to make a play on the ball, you would be able to call the batter out by rule.
Old Tue Oct 01, 2013, 08:08am
Official Forum Member

Thanks, Andy, Mike and Tex.

I'll call it that way next time. Tex's summation is very helpful.
Old Tue Oct 01, 2013, 12:08pm
Official Forum Member

The batter-runner's action, or lack thereof, is really immaterial. Fielders have the "right of way" if you will when playing a batter ball. ALL runners must avoid interfering with that (including Batter Runner).

West Houston Mike