The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jul 25, 2013, 06:34pm
Back from the DL

"If fair" needed in SP?

I've been umping my town's co-ed SP rec league for over a decade. I had formal ASA training in another town, but I've been working steadily in my town since, while studying on my own, so I'm truly working without a mentor. Here's something that never occurred to me until recently.

Infield fly rule in effect, pop-up in the infield near a foul line. I've been saying "Infield fly, if fair!"

If the batter has two strikes and hits a playable infield pop-up (0 or 1 out, of course), is "if fair" even necessary? If the ball lands foul, the BR is out, and the ball is dead, anyway. Granted, the batter would be out on strikes, rather than the infield fly rule, but how much does this matter?
Old Thu Jul 25, 2013, 09:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
I've been umping my town's co-ed SP rec league for over a decade. I had formal ASA training in another town, but I've been working steadily in my town since, while studying on my own, so I'm truly working without a mentor. Here's something that never occurred to me until recently.

Infield fly rule in effect, pop-up in the infield near a foul line. I've been saying "Infield fly, if fair!"

If the batter has two strikes and hits a playable infield pop-up (0 or 1 out, of course), is "if fair" even necessary? If the ball lands foul, the BR is out, and the ball is dead, anyway. Granted, the batter would be out on strikes, rather than the infield fly rule, but how much does this matter?
It's never "necessary". The ball if foul is always dead anyway. The if fair is stylistic and you should get it out if you have time.
Old Fri Jul 26, 2013, 07:51am
Official Forum Member

There's a huge difference between an infield fly and a batter out on strikes - especially wrt the runners and whether they can run or not.

West Houston Mike
Old Fri Jul 26, 2013, 03:00pm
Statistician/Ref Hybrid

To expand on what MD Longhorn said, Runners can still attempt to advance on their own risk when infield fly is called. On a foul ball, they cant. That's why it's important to indicate if a batter is out on the IFR or out on a foul 3rd-strike.

The center of attention as the lead & trail. – me
Games officiated: 525 Basketball · 76 Softball · 16 Baseball
Old Sat Jul 27, 2013, 09:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post

Yes for reasons given, but also a good habit to making the call all the time when it applies.
Old Sat Jul 27, 2013, 10:25pm
Back from the DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stat-Man View Post
To expand on what MD Longhorn said, Runners can still attempt to advance on their own risk when infield fly is called. On a foul ball, they cant.
Right, but this isn't about the runners. Once that infield fly is declared (again, SP only, 2 strikes), there's no way that batter is not out. Even if it lands and is touched foul, he's out. Nothing can prevent that.

As for the runners, of course you would still declare the ball foul, if it were. That would kill the play anyway. Maybe it's just where I work, but I don't believe the batter cares how he's out, if it's inevitable. What's the batter going to say, "but the ball was foul"?
Old Sat Jul 27, 2013, 11:09pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I always heard the umps say 'infield fly, batter's out if it's fair.' But it's been a few years.

Edit: Never mind, I see you're talking about slow pitch softball.

Last edited by Adam; Sat Jul 27, 2013 at 11:12pm. Reason: clarity
Old Mon Jul 29, 2013, 09:33am
Official Forum Member

As Mike says, seems to me it's just easier to do it the same way every time.

"Infield fly . . . " (wait, should I say "if fair?" He has two strikes, doesn't he? Wait, does this league have a courtesy foul or not . . . no, it doesn't . . . better just sneak a look at my indicounteclicker . . . )

{all hell breaks loose on the field while I'm not looking; the ball is touched near the line and gets thrown around the field twelve times}

(Ah, well, at least I didn't say "if fair" when I didn't need to.)
Old Mon Jul 29, 2013, 09:45am
Official Forum Member

You should say Infield Fly if Fair. Then ... if it's fair - runners and fielders can treat it as such. If it's not, kill it. It's what you're used to saying... it's what the coaches and players are used to hearing. Don't complicate it.

West Houston Mike