The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   Men's FP (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/95552-mens-fp.html)

jmkupka Thu Jul 18, 2013 08:54am

Men's FP

Tie game, bottom 7, bases loaded, 2 out.
Texas leaguer to F9, who just misses the shoestring catch. Game over.

I had the catch-no catch, BR touching 1B, R1 touching home (1-man game).

As all offensive runners converge near pitcher's circle for high 5's, and defense is walking off, F6 comes to me and quietly says, "runners never got to 2nd & 3rd. If I touch the bases, no score, right?"

Now, with what I was looking at (see above), I can't swear they didn't touch before breaking off to celebrate. This was totally my bad, will try to NEVER let it happen again.

The only thing that bailed me out was, F6 (with the still-live ball) proceeded to trot over to 2nd, then 3rd.

Thank god, in that order, he removed the force at 3rd. Game still over, right?

Dakota Thu Jul 18, 2013 09:21am

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmkupka (Post 900312)
Tie game, bottom 7, bases loaded, 2 out.
Texas leaguer to F9, who just misses the shoestring catch. Game over.

I had the catch-no catch, BR touching 1B, R1 touching home (1-man game).

As all offensive runners converge near pitcher's circle for high 5's, and defense is walking off, F6 comes to me and quietly says, "runners never got to 2nd & 3rd. If I touch the bases, no score, right?"

Now, with what I was looking at (see above), I can't swear they didn't touch before breaking off to celebrate. This was totally my bad, will try to NEVER let it happen again.

The only thing that bailed me out was, F6 (with the still-live ball) proceeded to trot over to 2nd, then 3rd.

Thank god, in that order, he removed the force at 3rd. Game still over, right?

Proper answer to F6's question: I had to watch the catch/no catch, the batter touch first and the runner touch home. After that, they are already celebrating and I didn't see them not touch. Game over.

Answer to your question: R3 to 2B was still a force out, so, if you rule that an out, no run scores.

jmkupka Thu Jul 18, 2013 09:31am

Thanks Dakota... not to change my OP after the fact, but that's just how I explained it to F6 as he was trotting over to 2nd (the fact that I could only see what I saw).

Of course you're correct on the force at 2nd. Hypothetical: what if there was only 1 out. Would my premise then be correct?

Dakota Thu Jul 18, 2013 09:40am

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmkupka (Post 900317)
...Hypothetical: what if there was only 1 out. Would my premise then be correct?

Yes.

Manny A Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:21am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dakota (Post 900318)
Yes.

So to be clear, the run would not count only if the defense properly appealed R2's failure to advance to third, followed by R3's failure to advance to second?

What if they did advance to those bases, but missed them? I assume the same ruling holds true.

jmkupka Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:11pm

Bunch of memorable stuff happened there last night...

Finally called one of the few rules that I can cite chapter and verse from the book.
1 out. R1 is trying to get back to 3B on a pop up, interferes with F5's fielding of the routine fly ball. Runner out, batter out. 8.7.L. (exception).

Surprised it doesn't happen more often...