The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jun 25, 2013, 04:59pm
Official Forum Member

From Referee Magazine - ASA

Play: Slow pitch, B2 hits an illegal pitch and reaches first base safely, but R2 is thrown out at third base. What is your ruling?

I've always played it as play stands, but according to Ref Mag, ASA says that "it is a ball on the batter", ASA 6-3 Effect.

I've searched the ASA rule book and can't find anything that addresses a batter hitting an illegal pitch in SP. Does that mean that in ASA an illegal pitch is a dead ball and not a delayed dead ball, or, as I've always played it in SP, if the batter hits an illegal pitch the play stands? Does anyone play it the way Ref Mag seems to indicate? Or am I missing something?
Old Tue Jun 25, 2013, 05:33pm
Call it as I see it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drh898 View Post
Play: Slow pitch, B2 hits an illegal pitch and reaches first base safely, but R2 is thrown out at third base. What is your ruling?

I've always played it as play stands, but according to Ref Mag, ASA says that "it is a ball on the batter", ASA 6-3 Effect.

I've searched the ASA rule book and can't find anything that addresses a batter hitting an illegal pitch in SP. Does that mean that in ASA an illegal pitch is a dead ball and not a delayed dead ball, or, as I've always played it in SP, if the batter hits an illegal pitch the play stands? Does anyone play it the way Ref Mag seems to indicate? Or am I missing something?
Announce the Illegal Pitch and if hitter hits it play stands unlike in Fast Pitch where you have a choice
Old Tue Jun 25, 2013, 05:44pm
Official Forum Member

You're not missing anything, but Referee Magazine and whoever wrote the article is....

ASA rule 6, sections 2 and 3 for SP cover starting the pitch and a legal delivery. At the end of Section 3, it states that violations shall result in a ball on the batter. This is probably where Referee stopped reading.

However at the end of Section 7, it states that any infractions of sections 2 thru 4 are
  1. Illegal pitch
  2. If the batter swings or contacts any illegal pitch, it is nullified and all play stands.
  3. If the batter dies not swing, it is a ball on the batter

Referee Mag didn't read far enough....
Old Tue Jun 25, 2013, 07:31pm
Official Forum Member

Aha, under quick pitch I found it, thanks. I knew that to be the case, but Ref Mag made me want to find it in the rule book, which, I guess, is a good thing. Thanks for the help.
Old Tue Jun 25, 2013, 08:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drh898 View Post

What? Referee Magazine offered and incorrect ruling? I'm aghast!

Your rule reference is 6(SP).Effect 2-4A; 6A&7
Old Tue Jun 25, 2013, 11:27pm
Official Forum Member

Probably based on an authoritative opinion in New York, a frequent contributor without any official standing outside that state.
Old Wed Jun 26, 2013, 01:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve View Post
Probably based on an authoritative opinion in New York, a frequent contributor without any official standing outside that state.
Where's that "Like" button?
Old Wed Jun 26, 2013, 06:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve View Post
Nope. Doesn't write or edit them any more. Not part of his contract. I think that's part of the problem.
Old Wed Jun 26, 2013, 06:36am
Official Forum Member

Let's not lose sight of the back that ASA has printed two "EFFECTS" in two spots. Generally speaking, isn't the EFFECT supposed to be after the specific section, not 4 sections later? I think that there is plenty of blame to go around. Since ASA is the biggest softball organization, don't you think they should hire some proofreaders?

I cringe as much as the next guy when I read some of the answers in Referee, but let's not think the ASA rule book as written this correctly or intelligently.