The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   I kicked this one.... (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/95277-i-kicked-one.html)

Chess Ref Sun Jun 16, 2013 07:19am

I kicked this one....

ASA, 16U, Association Championships, pretty mellow game.

Player grounds out to F5 to end the top of the 3rd inning.

The coach of the team that was just on defense comes out and says " The last out was the flex batting".

He was right, Flex batted as the number 10 spot in line up, DP was batting in the 5 spot.

The bottom line is he just wanted an out to start the next inning - since he had already gotten the third out of that inning.

I told him that wasn't going to happen -so he moved on. At this point the offending coach comes out and pulls the Flex from the game. So that's that.

At this point I realized I was at a loss as to what I SHOULD have done.

I've read an old thread (2007), went through the Rule Book, and have come up with this.

When I was told Flex had batted in the 10 spot, I should have DQ Flex for being Illegal Batter.

The batter in the second spot would lead off the next inning.

Does this sound correct ?

IRISHMAFIA Sun Jun 16, 2013 08:18am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chess Ref (Post 897556)
ASA, 16U, Association Championships, pretty mellow game.

Player grounds out to F5 to end the top of the 3rd inning.

The coach of the team that was just on defense comes out and says " The last out was the flex batting".

He was right, Flex batted as the number 10 spot in line up, DP was batting in the 5 spot.

The bottom line is he just wanted an out to start the next inning - since he had already gotten the third out of that inning.

I told him that wasn't going to happen -so he moved on. At this point the offending coach comes out and pulls the Flex from the game. So that's that.

At this point I realized I was at a loss as to what I SHOULD have done.

I've read an old thread (2007), went through the Rule Book, and have come up with this.

When I was told Flex had batted in the 10 spot, I should have DQ Flex for being Illegal Batter.

The batter in the second spot would lead off the next inning.

Does this sound correct ?

Yeppers

CecilOne Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:49am

1) We have previously discussed whether this is an illegal batter or an unreported BOO for the DP. How is that determined?

2) Is there any rule set with a different ruling/result?

AtlUmpSteve Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by CecilOne (Post 897577)
1) We have previously discussed whether this is an illegal batter or an unreported BOO for the DP. How is that determined?

2) Is there any rule set with a different ruling/result?

This is one of those where the rule defines what happened and the effect. 4-6.F(2) in ASA makes it an illegal player/illegal batter, 8.3.4.1.6 in ASA makes it an illegal player, NFHS 3-5-7-3 and 3-3-6-g make it an illegal substitute. We don't get to choose an alternate theory or explanation; it happened, the effect is what the rule says it is.

NFHS makes that person restricted; ASA and NCAA ejected. All else is the same effect.

IMO, the only way I have BOO instead is if the coach previously reported the FLEX playing offense for the DP, and the FLEX then batted in a different position.

IRISHMAFIA Sun Jun 16, 2013 08:46pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve (Post 897578)
or explanation; it happened, the effect is what the rule says it is.

NFHS makes that person restricted; ASA and NCAA ejected. All else is the same effect.

NCAA - ejected
ASA - disqualified