The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri May 31, 2013, 10:23pm
Official Forum Member

NYY Girardi Tossed

Because the umpire would NOT ask anyone for help on a play right in front of him.

Stated that is all that he asked the umpire to do and was told no, so he kept arguing.

Maybe he thought it was an NCAA game
Old Sat Jun 01, 2013, 07:10am
Official Forum Member

As long as it was...

a Yankee who was tossed from the game I don't really see a problem here!!!
Old Sat Jun 01, 2013, 09:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Because the umpire would NOT ask anyone for help on a play right in front of him.

Stated that is all that he asked the umpire to do and was told no, so he kept arguing.

Maybe he thought it was an NCAA game
This is an example of the ego problem in MLB. The umps are just as bad as the players. It is rare to see umpires actually get together to make sure a call is the correct call. I wouldn't want replay so much, except the umps in MLB are such egomaniacs, that correct calls are missed simply because "it is only my call".
Old Sat Jun 01, 2013, 10:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chapmaja View Post
This is an example of the ego problem in MLB. The umps are just as bad as the players. It is rare to see umpires actually get together to make sure a call is the correct call. I wouldn't want replay so much, except the umps in MLB are such egomaniacs, that correct calls are missed simply because "it is only my call".
Rubbish. There was no reason to go for help, he was right on it.

Around 1:07 of this recap of the game.
Old Sun Jun 02, 2013, 09:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chapmaja View Post
The correct call WAS made here. Clearly. There was absolutely no reason to waste the time of the players, fans, and other umpires by going for help.

Do you go for help every time you are asked to, even when you know you have the right call and need no other information???

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Sun Jun 02, 2013, 10:40am
Official Forum Member

Girardi, much like Torre, argues the most pointless things and looks like an idiot. Girardi almost never backs down and gets tossed. Torre came to his senses at times.

Then, when there is a blatantly obvious miscall or misapplication of a rule, he sits on his ass and does nothing.
Old Sun Jun 02, 2013, 01:50pm
Official Forum Member

MLB Umpires...

are too much a part of the show. If they would just do their job and not start shit then things would be better for the game.
Old Sun Jun 02, 2013, 06:07pm
Official Forum Member

I think in baseball in general not just MLB there is a feeling that sometimes getting tossed might "fire up the troops". Not saying it's right or that it even works but I think some believe in getting "strategically" ejected on purpose.
Old Tue Jun 04, 2013, 05:02am
Stirrer of the Pot

It is rare for baseball umpires to go for help when they are right on top of a play. The discussions usually happen when an umpire has to make a long-distance call, such as on a home-run.

Most MLB managers know that's the case. Remember when Joyce blew the call on Galarraga's perfect game? You didn't see Leyland yell at him to get help. All he did was berate him for blowing the call.

It has nothing to do with ego. It's all about taking sole responsibility for certain situations, which has been ingrained in these guys from when the started umpiring. You open the door by going for help once, you'll subject yourself to repeated demands to check with your partner(s). That's more disruptive to the game.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Tue Jun 04, 2013, 06:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
It has nothing to do with ego. It's all about taking sole responsibility for certain situations, which has been ingrained in these guys from when the started umpiring. You open the door by going for help once, you'll subject yourself to repeated demands to check with your partner(s). That's more disruptive to the game.
Rubbish. If there is a reason to go for help, you go. If there is not, you don't.

The old "once you make the call, you stick with the call" bullshit ended a long time ago and any umpire who is still hanging on that as a philosophy, then it is absolutely an ego problem. Umpires who carry it into softball should find something else to do, they are not helping themselves or the game.
Old Tue Jun 04, 2013, 09:05am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Rubbish. If there is a reason to go for help, you go. If there is not, you don't.

The old "once you make the call, you stick with the call" bullshit ended a long time ago and any umpire who is still hanging on that as a philosophy, then it is absolutely an ego problem. Umpires who carry it into softball should find something else to do, they are not helping themselves or the game.
Fine, but getting back to the original play (Girardi ejection) and also to the Jim Joyce / Galarraga play -- those are plays where an umpire has no reason to ever ask for help and a manager who demands it should, essentially, be told to go pound sand. Nicely at first, of course.

Has nothing to do with ego.
Old Tue Jun 04, 2013, 03:16pm
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
The old "once you make the call, you stick with the call" bullshit ended a long time ago...
Joyce v. Galarraga happened in 2010.
Meals v. Pirates happened in 2011.
Welke v. Dodgers happened in 2012.

I wouldn't say those qualify for "long time ago".
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Tue Jun 04, 2013, 06:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
Joyce v. Galarraga happened in 2010.
Meals v. Pirates happened in 2011.
Welke v. Dodgers happened in 2012.

I wouldn't say those qualify for "long time ago".
I'm referring to real umpiring and the way it is taught. This belongs in the same closet as the other bullshit "tricks" like:

Keeping on the move and make the coach chase you;

Turn you back to the sun and make the coach look into the sun, move if the coach adjusts to move into your shadow;

Try to cause frustration by basically showing no interest in the coach's comments;

And the old favorite stand-by, starting every statement with "in my judgment" whether it was valid or not.

Man, the old guys did anything they could distract anyone from what could have been an inaccurate, but correctible call.
Old Wed Jun 05, 2013, 04:21pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
MLB ump hurt

Umpire John Hirschbeck exits Phillies-Marlins game after being hit by pitch | phillies.com: News
Old Thu Jun 06, 2013, 08:42am
Official Forum Member

Foul Tip, huh?