The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon May 27, 2013, 12:59pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to shipwreck
Question Oregon versus Nebraska

I was watching the first game of this Super Regional and saw this positioning and wanted input. Runner on second, trying to steal third. Nebraska catcher throws to third and gets the out. Can someone tell me why in this situation the 3U stayed in foul ground at about the coaches box in a direct line from the 2nd to 3rd baseline extended? Is this so they wouldn't be in the way if the throw was errant? No 90 degree there. Is this what we are supposed to do in this situation? Personally I would think you would take a few steps into fair territory to get the 90. Just wondering.
Dave
Old Mon May 27, 2013, 01:17pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shipwreck View Post
I was watching the first game of this Super Regional and saw this positioning and wanted input. Runner on second, trying to steal third. Nebraska catcher throws to third and gets the out. Can someone tell me why in this situation the 3U stayed in foul ground at about the coaches box in a direct line from the 2nd to 3rd baseline extended? Is this so they wouldn't be in the way if the throw was errant? No 90 degree there. Is this what we are supposed to do in this situation? Personally I would think you would take a few steps into fair territory to get the 90. Just wondering.
Dave
Generally, but it depends on the positioning of the fielder taking the throw. With an F5 taking it in front of the base, reaching "back" to tag, that angle might be better. With F6 taking the throw, throwing lane might be a concern, errant or not.
Old Mon May 27, 2013, 01:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Dave
IMO, this isn't bad if there is a sweep tag and the runner does not come straight into the base.

It is bad because to start, you are too close to the play if the throw is not precise. If the runner comes in straight, and the defender drops to block the base, you need to move real quick to be able to see any tag, or missed tag because you are not going to see through the fielder. You may also have an eager coach with which to deal.

I agree with you, Dave. A step fair would be perfect, IMO.
Old Mon May 27, 2013, 01:58pm
Official Forum Member

As a side note, I am just so glad the Lady Huskers are going to the WCWS. The announcers were so pro Ducks before and during the series. I don't put much stock in what they say, but come on, don't be so obvious in who you want to win. Dave, always a Husker fan.
Old Mon May 27, 2013, 03:43pm
Official Forum Member

I'm wondering about the umpire rotation for the series. Shouldn't the plate umpire for the 3rd game be not behind the plate in the 1st or 2nd game?
Old Mon May 27, 2013, 05:23pm
Official Forum Member

Same thought here. Let's see, 3 games, 3 umpires. I wouldn't think it would take too much thought for there to be a different PU for each game. Dave
Old Mon May 27, 2013, 05:38pm
Official Forum Member

Rotation at Michigan-ULL

The same thing happened in the Super Regional between Michigan and ULL in Ann Arbor.

The same plate umpire, who I have personally met previously, worked the 1st and 3rd games behind the plate. He was at 1b for the second game.

I don't understand why each umpire did not work one game behind the plate, UNLESS, the NCAA uses some sort of rating system to assign umpires to positions. Maybe only 2 of the 3 umpires were rated to work the plate at this level, so when game 3 happened, they reverted to the game 1 positions.
Old Mon May 27, 2013, 05:43pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chapmaja View Post
The same thing happened in the Super Regional between Michigan and ULL in Ann Arbor.

The same plate umpire, who I have personally met previously, worked the 1st and 3rd games behind the plate. He was at 1b for the second game.

I don't understand why each umpire did not work one game behind the plate, UNLESS, the NCAA uses some sort of rating system to assign umpires to positions. Maybe only 2 of the 3 umpires were rated to work the plate at this level, so when game 3 happened, they reverted to the game 1 positions.
"I think she's got it" *, Rex Harrison

* musical notes
Old Mon May 27, 2013, 06:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Dave
Same theory as going 3BL extended on plays at the plate anytime the catcher has to reach for the ball and swipe the tag. Based on where most 3rd baseman play, especially with R3 on 3rd base, they will almost always cut the ball before it reaches the base and then have to swipe the tag. Standing in fair territory may not allow the umpire to see through the play.
Old Mon May 27, 2013, 09:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Just a guess.....

But it would appear that in both the Ann Arbor and Eugene SR's; the decision was based on having the umpire on the crew with the most experience at the SR and WCWS level work the plate in the deciding game.

Again......just a guess.
Old Mon May 27, 2013, 09:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Dave
Both of those calling positions for U3 on a steal at 3rd are listed in the Manual for the reasons other members have posted.
Old Mon May 27, 2013, 09:59pm
Official Forum Member

That really makes no sense. Using a rating system for post-season play does make sense, as well as choosing the crew chief and even the crew. However, the NCAA would be foolish to allow an umpire into the post-season that it was not also confident to work the plate.

What does make sense is that the decision for umpire rotation rests with the crew chief

Quote:
Old Tue May 28, 2013, 09:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The umpire that didn't work plate for one of these is ISF rated. Go figure.

Last edited by Crabby_Bob; Tue May 28, 2013 at 10:16am.
Old Tue May 28, 2013, 10:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabby_Bob View Post
The umpire that didn't work plate for one of these is ISF rated. Go figure.

It would seem stupid, but not completely unheard of in NCAA sports. I know an official in another sport who is not allowed to work certain positions in that sport at the NCAA level (per his comments to me) despite having worked as an official in the Olympic Games.

The NCAA often uses their own rating system (from what I've heard), and it may or may not make sense with regards to an officials actual abilities.

I suspect this was a case where the umpires agreed that a certain umpire would work game 3 if needed prior to the Super Regional starting.
Old Tue May 28, 2013, 11:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJUmp View Post
Just a guess.....

But it would appear that in both the Ann Arbor and Eugene SR's; the decision was based on having the umpire on the crew with the most experience at the SR and WCWS level work the plate in the deciding game.

Again......just a guess.
Don't disagree with your guess......however, you would think that if an umpire achieved this level of play, s/he should be able to handle whatever is asked, regardless of what experience and be assigned one of everything. This isn't like you are at a tournament and just found out the umpire isn't capable to handle this level...........or is it? That would not be a good thing.