The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   catching equipment (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/95102-catching-equipment.html)

CecilOne Wed May 22, 2013 11:33am

catching equipment

We often see players warming up pitchers w/o catching helmets. Often they try to use a batting helmet because the team only has one catching helmet.

What do you think of a rule change to allow a batting helmet with a throat protector?
Do you think it would pass the various organizations?

HugoTafurst Wed May 22, 2013 11:45am

Quote:

Originally Posted by CecilOne (Post 895093)
We often see players warming up pitchers w/o catching helmets. Often they try to use a batting helmet because the team only has one catching helmet.

What do you think of a rule change to allow a batting helmet with a throat protector?
Do you think it would pass the various organizations?

I think that is ridiculous.

(remember, you asked what I thought)
:eek:

Manny A Wed May 22, 2013 12:03pm

Quote:

Then if they want to warm up a pitcher, they need to either wait until they're on offense (so that the lone catcher's helmet becomes available), or they need to come up with a second helmet.

As for your question, I honestly don't think any nationally-sanctioned organization would consider using a batter's helmet to warm up the pitcher. The NOCSAE certification standard for batting helmets is much different than the standard for catcher's helmets. And even if you attached a dangler to the bottom bar of the mask on a batter's helmet, it wouldn't provide the right protection.

MD Longhorn Wed May 22, 2013 12:31pm

Quote:

We often see players warming up pitchers w/o catching helmets.

I'll admit, I've never seen this - not once.

Manny A Wed May 22, 2013 12:57pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MD Longhorn (Post 895102)
I'll admit, I've never seen this - not once.

I have, unfortunately. And I've had to make the necessary fix to keep it from happening. It always seems to involve either JV teams, or varsity teams from some of the less affluent schools in our community.

Quite often, those teams only have one catcher's mask available for equipment checks. Not sure if the mask is provided by the school, or if it belongs to the player. My guess is that it's the former, since that girl's parents probably can't afford to buy their daughter the necessary equipment.

CecilOne Wed May 22, 2013 04:31pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manny A (Post 895101)
Then if they want to warm up a pitcher, they need to either wait until they're on offense (so that the lone catcher's helmet becomes available), or they need to come up with a second helmet.

Of course. :)

EsqUmp Wed May 22, 2013 05:04pm

Where are you going to hand the throat protector from? It would have to be the face mask, which is about 3 inches farther from chin than a catcher's mask would be. Certainly wouldn't work in NCAA if they don't use a mask in the first place.

Bad idea.

Robmoz Wed May 22, 2013 10:50pm

IF the team only has one catchers mask then why can't the player warming up the pitcher wear it while the catcher is getting her gear on??? I guess I may be missing something here but seems to me like the team has at least 1 catcher's mask so it doesn't matter who uses it when it is needed.:confused:

Insane Blue Thu May 23, 2013 12:46am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robmoz (Post 895166)
IF the team only has one catchers mask then why can't the player warming up the pitcher wear it while the catcher is getting her gear on??? I guess I may be missing something here but seems to me like the team has at least 1 catcher's mask so it doesn't matter who uses it when it is needed.:confused:

Talking about warming up a 2nd Pitcher during the game.

MD Longhorn Thu May 23, 2013 10:50am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robmoz (Post 895166)

How would you warm up a pitcher while you are on defense?

CecilOne Thu May 23, 2013 11:20am

I thought it was obvious I was talking about when the catching mask was in use. :rolleyes: Please focus on the OP Q.

Also, I didn't consider this problem:
"face mask, which is about 3 inches farther from chin than a catcher's mask would be."

IRISHMAFIA Thu May 23, 2013 11:50am

Quote:

Originally Posted by MD Longhorn (Post 895212)
How would you warm up a pitcher while you are on defense?

With a glove

Crabby_Bob Thu May 23, 2013 11:16pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA (Post 895229)
With a glove

In the old days, ... aw, never mind.

Robmoz Fri May 24, 2013 10:59am

Would we be required to "rule" on such a 2nd pitcher warming up issue that is occurring outside the confines of the playing field? If I glance over to DBT and see a catcher w/o a mask on, is that something that I really need to be concerned with?:confused:

Robmoz Fri May 24, 2013 11:02am

Quote:

Originally Posted by CecilOne (Post 895224)
I thought it was obvious I was talking about when the catching mask was in use. :rolleyes: Please focus on the OP Q.

obviously not...lol