The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri May 17, 2013, 09:52pm
Official Forum Member

One more that I had recently

this caused a lot of fan complaints, but not from the dugout. R1 on second, R2 on first. B3 hits a single to LF. R2 rounds third and comes home. the throw comes in and beats R1 to the plate. R1 slides (legally), and the ball comes out of F1's glove landing between her knees. F1's slide leaves her a foot short of the plate, with F1 blocking her access to the plate. She attempt to reach forward and touch the plate with her foot, but is prevented from doing so. F1 then realizes the ball is between her legs, and as R1 tries again to touch the base, which is still between her legs, F1 grabs the ball and tags R1.

I rule this obstruction, as F1 was blocking the plate while not in possession of the ball, and her position blocked R1's second attempt to touch the plate, after the initial slide was short (due to F1, blocking the plate while in possession of the ball). I award R1 home plate on the play.
Old Sat May 18, 2013, 07:24am
Official Forum Member

Good Call

See this one a regular basis. Make this call on a regular basis.

The coaches who know the rule say nothing, those who don't come out to chat.
Old Sat May 18, 2013, 03:06pm
Official Forum Member

Sounds like you did all right.

After working a few games you may have noticed people in the stands complain about things they don't really know about.
Old Sat May 18, 2013, 05:36pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SethPDX View Post

After working a few games you may have noticed people in the stands complain about things they don't really know about.
Mostly that, sometimes just because their team lost, often because they did not see the actual play.
Old Sat May 18, 2013, 06:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SethPDX View Post
Sounds like you did all right.

No argument there. I had one guy I thought was going to come over the fence last year over a call. Pitch was behind the batter, but she left the bat up on her shoulder. Its the bat, then comes down and catches her in the back and she goes down. Of course I call foul ball and this guy goes bananas. He was going so crazy that the host AD and the visiting team coach (his DD's team) had to go try calming him down. The batter (his DD) finally came over and told her dad to "stop acting like such an A$$hole). I wasn't going to say anything about her language because she was telling him off.
Old Sat May 18, 2013, 08:11pm
Official Forum Member

If your not upsetting a coach now and then your probably doing something wrong.

If your not upsetting at least some of the fans on a regular basis you are definately doing something wrong!
Old Sat May 18, 2013, 09:57pm
Official Forum Member

Interesting. Defensive players are expected to disappear or be called for obstruction. But retired offensive player are not expected to disappear or be called out when they are "just running like any runner."

Hmmmmm
Old Mon May 20, 2013, 08:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EsqUmp View Post
Interesting. Defensive players are expected to disappear or be called for obstruction. But retired offensive player are not expected to disappear or be called out when they are "just running like any runner."

Hmmmmm
No defensive players are expected to disappear. They are expected, however, to not be in the runner's way if they don't have possession of the ball.

West Houston Mike
Old Mon May 20, 2013, 11:01am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by EsqUmp View Post
Interesting. Defensive players are expected to disappear or be called for obstruction.
Actually, defensive players are expected to make defensive plays so that they don't make themselves vulnerable to obstruction. In this case, F1 (although my guess is that it should have been F2) should have been able to secure the ball through the tag, which she didn't. Shame on her for failing a fundamental skill.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker