The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu May 16, 2013, 08:37pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ASA/NYSSOBLUE
Always something new under the sun!

JV game between two fairly small schools...the home team - and it is ALWAYS the home team - had....drum roll.....EIGHT players. Yes - in high school ball. Men's ball, sure - in fact, in my men's game last night, one team had eight to start. And it was a very easy and pleasant 4 1/2 inning 10 run rule game.

It was very....odd...to having to ask the scorekeeper occasionally which #s in the b.o. was due up in a hs game. And, of course, the visitors could not quite get that 15 run lead...until, of course, the 7th inning....

another week of hs games!
Old Thu May 16, 2013, 09:05pm
Official Forum Member

FED rules? Thought FED require 9 to start the game? Can end short handed, but cant start shorthanded.
Old Thu May 16, 2013, 09:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKBUmp View Post
FED rules? Thought FED require 9 to start the game? Can end short handed, but cant start shorthanded.
NY state plays school ball using ASA rules.
Dunno if they made any modifications, but...
Old Thu May 16, 2013, 10:12pm
Official Forum Member

Yeah - ASA with some mods. My partner (who also has been around for a while) and I could not think of NYSSO having a rule about needing nine. AFAWK the ASA rule applied. I sent an email to our interp, just to be safe!
Old Fri May 17, 2013, 06:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASA/NYSSOBLUE View Post
Yeah - ASA with some mods. My partner (who also has been around for a while) and I could not think of NYSSO having a rule about needing nine. AFAWK the ASA rule applied. I sent an email to our interp, just to be safe!
You're correct. There is no NYSPHSAA/NYSSO difference here to the ASA rule. Can start or finish with 8 (other than for ejection, of course).

About asking the scorekeeper, though: Why not just note the last person to bat in the previous inning, know who the 8th hitter in the line-up is and take a look at your line-up card? If #22 is the 8th hitter, you know there is an out after her, unless they sub for her...oh wait, they have no subs
Old Fri May 17, 2013, 08:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EsqUmp View Post
You're correct. There is no NYSPHSAA/NYSSO difference here to the ASA rule. Can start or finish with 8 (other than for ejection, of course).

About asking the scorekeeper, though: Why not just note the last person to bat in the previous inning, know who the 8th hitter in the line-up is and take a look at your line-up card? If #22 is the 8th hitter, you know there is an out after her, unless they sub for her...oh wait, they have no subs
Well - I was working bases, and I really only did it the first time through - but still...odd...