The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat May 11, 2013, 05:32pm
Official Forum Member

Big East Championship

U3 calls "safe" on a swing/no swing request and ND coach is out of the dugout closer to U3 than the 3rd base coach.

Don't know if she would have still been in the game if this wasn't NCAA.
Old Sat May 11, 2013, 05:51pm
Official Forum Member

Yeah, I was watching that (looong) game and saw that. I was like, "What the heck is she doing out there?". And why does she get to stick around after leaving the dugout to argue a ball/strike call?

Then I remembered it was an NCAA game...
Old Sat May 11, 2013, 06:06pm
Official Forum Member

I was pretty astonished that the only illegal pitch I saw called was on what would have been the last out of the 10 inning game. (i only saw the last few innings).
They said she was only called one other time during the game

Wonder if FSU will get called.
Old Sun May 12, 2013, 11:19am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
U3 calls "safe" on a swing/no swing request and ND coach is out of the dugout closer to U3 than the 3rd base coach.

Don't know if she would have still been in the game if this wasn't NCAA.
Can someone explain to me the difference between NCAA softball and the rest of the world? Cause I know in NCAA baseball that coach would likely get ejected.
Old Sun May 12, 2013, 12:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BretMan View Post
Yeah, I was watching that (looong) game and saw that. I was like, "What the heck is she doing out there?". And why does she get to stick around after leaving the dugout to argue a ball/strike call?

Then I remembered it was an NCAA game...
This is not considered a ball/strike call with respect to issuing a warning for arguing balls & strikes. That isn't to say what the coach did was appropriate or didn't deserve at least a warning.

Ball/strike warnings are for judgment calls based on the pitch, not the bat.
Old Sun May 12, 2013, 01:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Can someone explain to me the difference between NCAA softball and the rest of the world? Cause I know in NCAA baseball that coach would likely get ejected.
Don't know about baseball, but in softball it is quite possible that would have been that umpire's last game of the year.

Again, don't know about baseball, but in NCAA softball, the coaches pretty much control the remote.
Old Sun May 12, 2013, 03:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HugoTafurst View Post
I was pretty astonished that the only illegal pitch I saw called was on what would have been the last out of the 10 inning game. (i only saw the last few innings).
They said she was only called one other time during the game

Wonder if FSU will get called.
Watched the video highlights on the USF softball website. Camera had a great angle, looking out toward shortstop from just off the the 1st base side of home plate. Good call by U3, Nevins got airborne.
Old Sun May 12, 2013, 04:51pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EsqUmp View Post
This is not considered a ball/strike call with respect to issuing a warning for arguing balls & strikes. That isn't to say what the coach did was appropriate or didn't deserve at least a warning.

Another softball only thing, then. In baseball, arguing a check swing is no different than arguing the location of the pitch. It would get a quick "knock it off" and then an ejection. And if the coach left the dugout to argue, go straight to step two.
Old Sun May 12, 2013, 04:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJUmp View Post
Watched the video highlights on the USF softball website. Camera had a great angle, looking out toward shortstop from just off the the 1st base side of home plate. Good call by U3, Nevins got airborne.
No doubt about that, replay showed she was airborne.
I was just surprised, that it was called at that time.
I know we are supposed to call it when we see it... just seemed odd that it wasn't seen up till then (at least in the last few innings that I saw).
Old Mon May 13, 2013, 09:35am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by EsqUmp View Post

What is the reference for this? NCAA rule 13.6.4 says simply that a player, coach, or team cannot "Argue balls and strikes." It doesn't limit those to only pitches.

So if a PU feels the batter offers at a pitch (doesn't check her swing, attempted a bunt, attempted a slap, etc.), those don't fall under 13.6.4?
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Mon May 13, 2013, 09:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
What is the reference for this? NCAA rule 13.6.4 says simply that a player, coach, or team cannot "Argue balls and strikes." It doesn't limit those to only pitches.

So if a PU feels the batter offers at a pitch (doesn't check her swing, attempted a bunt, attempted a slap, etc.), those don't fall under 13.6.4?
Interpretation and direction from above. At least ... if you want to continue working.

West Houston Mike