The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   New Pitcher??? (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/94938-new-pitcher.html)

AtlUmpSteve Fri May 03, 2013 06:24pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by RKBUmp (Post 892851)
I would agree that is the way it reads, but is not the way it was presented at the preseason rules meetings. We were instructed that until the ball is declared live substitutions are not official.

NFHS website has no such change.

NFHS | 2013 Softball Rules Changes

RKBUmp Fri May 03, 2013 06:37pm

Went back and checked books back to 2010 and while there is some slight variation in wordings, they all say basically the same thing. I believe whoever was running our rules clinic had read something into the rule that wasnt there.

Ed Maeder Sat May 04, 2013 01:46am

Thanks Alt I stand corrected. Maybe if I read all the rule that would help. Did seem strange that Fed would do that.

marvin Sun May 05, 2013 09:40am

Quote:

Originally Posted by DRJ1960 (Post 892795)
FED ruleset
Coach asked me this yesterday:"When is the new pitcher actually in the game?"

Allegedly...:)
Opposing coach approached Plate Umpire between innings to change pitchers. The "new" pitcher has thrown a single warm up pitch when the coach "changes his mind" and wants to return to the "prior" pitcher and not make the substitution at all.

So - my takeaway from the discussion of this situation is that the player is in the game (substitution is official), but does not have to pitch.

AtlUmpSteve Sun May 05, 2013 10:04am

Quote:

Originally Posted by marvin (Post 892915)
So - my takeaway from the discussion of this situation is that the player is in the game (substitution is official), but does not have to pitch.

That is correct. The substitution, if reported to opposing coach, has been made. If the coach wants to re-enter the starter, then that is what the coach is doing; a re-entry, a new substitution, not undoing the prior substitution.

And, there is no requirement that anyone that has thrown a warmup pitch must pitch to a batter. One of those myths that follow the game, like "the hands are part of the bat". Unfortunately, when the coaches get to write rules, the myths can become reality ("have to pull bat back after to squaring to bunt" is one example starting in NCAA after never actually being a rule anywhere).

chapmaja Sun May 12, 2013 10:44pm

Here are a questions though.

Let's say that #21 has been pitching the first 3 innings. To start the 4th inning, #22 (who had been SS), comes in to pitch and #21 goes to SS (they switch places).

#22 takes her 5 warmup pitches, then the coach decides to switch them back.

Does #21 get any warmup pitches when the switch is made.

Now after 4 batters, #22 and #21 are switched back. Does #22, who already took her 5 warmup pitches get any warmup pitches. She had not pitched to a batter, but had already taken 5 warm up pitches and had previously taken a position on the pitchers plate.