The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Apr 21, 2013, 02:00pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
interesting day

Interesting day: two HS games, none of the pitchers particularly sharp, but generally in control along with very good defense. Enough so that only 8 runs scored between all 4 teams. Both games were decided by walk-off home runs; bottom of the 7th and bottom of the 8th.

A question came up. The "new" rule says that a batter does not have to avoid if HBP within the batters box. The batter, while trying to avoid the pain anyway, moves the bat forward. Do we count that as an attempt to hit or does the "in the batters box" rule take precedence?

I think we discussed this before, but I can't figure out what to search for.
Old Sun Apr 21, 2013, 02:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post
Interesting day: two HS games, none of the pitchers particularly sharp, but generally in control along with very good defense. Enough so that only 8 runs scored between all 4 teams. Both games were decided by walk-off home runs; bottom of the 7th and bottom of the 8th.

A question came up. The "new" rule says that a batter does not have to avoid if HBP within the batters box. The batter, while trying to avoid the pain anyway, moves the bat forward. Do we count that as an attempt to hit or does the "in the batters box" rule take precedence?

I think we discussed this before, but I can't figure out what to search for.
Was she making an attempt at the pitch? Just moving the bat forward while avoiding being hit doesn't necessarily constitute an attempt.

Rita
Old Sun Apr 21, 2013, 04:27pm
Administrator

If she is trying to avoid being hit then she cannot be considered attempting to strike at the pitch.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sun Apr 21, 2013, 05:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
If she is trying to avoid being hit then she cannot be considered attempting to strike at the pitch.

MTD, Sr.
This.

As umpires, we are expected to be perfect our first game and get better every time out thereafter.
Old Sun Apr 21, 2013, 05:20pm
Official Forum Member

Moving the bat forward or just holding the bat in the strike zone are condidered strikes. Even saw a similar situation this week-end in college ball. The field umpire called the strike after the coach asked for help.

Last edited by Tex; Sun Apr 21, 2013 at 05:25pm. Reason: Added college situation
Old Sun Apr 21, 2013, 07:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Moving the bat forward or just holding the bat in the strike zone are condidered strikes. Even saw a similar situation this week-end in college ball. The field umpire called the strike after the coach asked for help.
Wrong. Go back to the definitions. If the ball doesn't hit the bat (a definition of a strike) and the bat enters the strike zone, it is not a strike if the batter's objective (oh no, you have to conclude she is trying not to get drilled with the ball) is to avoid being hit by the pitch.
Old Sun Apr 21, 2013, 08:00pm
Official Forum Member

Made the call

I made the call the other day.
Batter squared to bunt, ball was inside, looked to me like the batter was still trying to bunt the ball, but she missed and the ball hit her.
Dead Ball, strike. ... coach questioned me, didn't agree with me, but accepted the answer.
After the game, both partners agreed that she was attempting to bunt even though the ball was coming at her.
Old Sun Apr 21, 2013, 08:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HugoTafurst View Post
I made the call the other day.
Batter squared to bunt, ball was inside, looked to me like the batter was still trying to bunt the ball, but she missed and the ball hit her.
Dead Ball, strike. ... coach questioned me, didn't agree with me, but accepted the answer.
After the game, both partners agreed that she was attempting to bunt even though the ball was coming at her.
In a sitch like this, you'll know it. it's that "protection" bunt, as she's fully squared around and the ball is a screwball or riser that's tailing in toward her head or chest.

Bottom line, did the batter attempt to hit it? If so, strike. I'd tend to give the benefit of the doubt to the batter IF the ball is coming at her and there is any movement. Was the movement of the bat done specifically to hit the ball?

Hard to sell that when she's got a welt. Not impossible, but you'll know it when you see it.

And as Esq said, the batter does NOT have to pull the bat back (unless you're talking USSSA fast pitch, which is the only rule set that I'm aware of that you do).

As umpires, we are expected to be perfect our first game and get better every time out thereafter.
Old Sun Apr 21, 2013, 09:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIUmp View Post
And as Esq said, the batter does NOT have to pull the bat back (unless you're talking USSSA fast pitch, which is the only rule set that I'm aware of that you do).
You do in NCAA and NFHS, to name two.
Old Sun Apr 21, 2013, 09:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BretMan View Post
You do in NCAA and NFHS, to name two.
My fault. NCAA does. You're right. I don't do NFHS so I didn't know that. My apologies.

I'm referring to coaches saying this due to their knowledge of the "other" ball game, not a well-versed knowledge of the differing softball rule sets.

Last edited by LIUmp; Sun Apr 21, 2013 at 09:21pm.
Old Sun Apr 21, 2013, 09:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIUmp View Post
My fault. NCAA does. You're right. I don't do NFHS so I didn't know that. My apologies.

I'm referring to coaches saying this due to their knowledge of the "other" ball game, not a well-versed knowledge of the differing softball rule sets.
Baseball does not require the bat to be withdrawn from the strike zone to abort a bunt attempt. That's a rule myth in that game.
Old Sun Apr 21, 2013, 09:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BretMan View Post
Baseball does not require the bat to be withdrawn from the strike zone to abort a bunt attempt. That's a rule myth in that game.
OK I give up.