The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   The Simple Things (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/94794-simple-things.html)

HugoTafurst Mon Apr 15, 2013 01:29pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by CecilOne (Post 890989)
I have and also that 15 is not 10 or fewer. ;)

That is another story...:mad:

IRISHMAFIA Mon Apr 15, 2013 06:17pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by EsqUmp (Post 890934)
And since we are harping over language, it's actually "fewer" than 2 outs. Not "less" than two outs.

Well, fewer is correct, but less is not wrong, at least, not according to Messrs. Merriam and Webster

Steve M Mon Apr 15, 2013 09:00pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by CecilOne (Post 890989)
I have and also that 15 is not 10 or fewer. ;)

Now, if they can't count to make change, how do you expect them to know that 15 is more than 10?

ASA/NYSSOBLUE Tue Apr 16, 2013 06:14am

It's not just softball - you should see the NCAA volleyball rule book (NYS hs volleyball uses the NCAA ruleset) :eek: not to mention our test :eek::eek:

Welpe Tue Apr 16, 2013 07:33am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve M (Post 891041)
Now, if they can't count to make change, how do you expect them to know that 15 is more than 10?

Since we're kind of into derailment land, I was getting something to eat the other day and after thinking about paying with my card, I instead reached for some cash in my wallet and handed it to the cashier. She got the most panic stricken face I've ever seen which I'm guessing was a result of having to make change instead of just swiping the card.

Is it me or are people losing the ability to make change? Is basic math really becoming that difficult?

Manny A Tue Apr 16, 2013 07:43am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Welpe (Post 891089)
Is it me or are people losing the ability to make change? Is basic math really becoming that difficult?

Seems to me that basic math skills are lost since it's become too easy to carry a device everywhere people go that can do everything by app.

My daughter, who is 25, cannot calculate tips when we go to dinner. She can't even understand that figuring out 20% of $35 using her phone's calculator is done by the key strokes "35 x 0.2 =" Rather, she uses an app where she can type in "35", then push a button that has "20%" on it.

It's sad.

CecilOne Tue Apr 16, 2013 08:48am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manny A (Post 891093)
It's sad.

ditto!

IRISHMAFIA Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:40am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Welpe (Post 891089)
Since we're kind of into derailment land, I was getting something to eat the other day and after thinking about paying with my card, I instead reached for some cash in my wallet and handed it to the cashier. She got the most panic stricken face I've ever seen which I'm guessing was a result of having to make change instead of just swiping the card.

I predicted this in the mid 70's when the calculator began invading the schools. BEFORE ANYONE SAYS ANYTHING ABOUT TECHNOLOGY AND IT'S USES, I have no problem with using the technological advances of the past 75 years or so to help expedite and effect an efficient process, but I do have a problem with using technology in lieu of developing one's brain and knowledge.

rant

When I worked for Southland, I kept a 7-Eleven open during a power outage and no one could figure out how I could do such a thing without power to operate the cash register. People were having a hard time comprehending my ability to do simple math without a machine and that is simply pitiful.

I have run into dozens of situations from a college grad WORKING IN THE SPORTS ARENA TICKET OFFICE who could not figure out the change from a $100 bill for a $77 purchase WITH an adding machine to a banker not being able to make change at his daughter's girl scout cookie table at a fair.

Everyone wants to blame cheap slave labor abroad for the USA's employment issues when in many cases it is simply the lack of qualified people willing to actually work for a living. It is a sad state when the most common answer from our young people of the simplest questions is "Uh?"

/rant

Manny A Tue Apr 16, 2013 02:06pm

+1

EsqUmp Tue Apr 16, 2013 04:16pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA (Post 891032)
Well, fewer is correct, but less is not wrong, at least, not according to Messrs. Merriam and Webster

That's not so. It would have to be "lesser number of outs than 2" to be correct.

ASA Ump MN Tue Apr 16, 2013 04:38pm

Quote:

She can't even understand that figuring out 20%

You guys tip 20 percent in Virginia?..

I could never tip $40 on a $100 tab no-matter how great the table dances or service was ...:D:D ;)

NDblue Tue Apr 16, 2013 09:57pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ASA Ump MN (Post 891186)
You guys tip 20 percent in Virginia?..

I could never tip $40 on a $100 tab no-matter how great the table dances or service was ...:D:D ;)

Must be the math they teach in Minniesoda? :eek:

IRISHMAFIA Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by EsqUmp (Post 891178)
That's not so. It would have to be "lesser number of outs than 2" to be correct.

Usage Discussion of LESS

The traditional view is that less applies to matters of degree, value, or amount and modifies collective nouns, mass nouns, or nouns denoting an abstract whole while fewer applies to matters of number and modifies plural nouns. Less has been used to modify plural nouns since the days of King Alfred and the usage, though roundly decried, appears to be increasing. Less is more likely than fewer to modify plural nouns when distances, sums of money, and a few fixed phrases are involved <less than 100 miles> <an investment of less than $2000> <in 25 words or less> and as likely as fewer to modify periods of time <in less (or fewer) than four hours>.

Chess Ref Wed Apr 17, 2013 07:04am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manny A (Post 891093)
Seems to me that basic math skills are lost since it's become too easy to carry a device everywhere people go that can do everything by app.

My daughter, who is 25, cannot calculate tips when we go to dinner. She can't even understand that figuring out 20% of $35 using her phone's calculator is done by the key strokes "35 x 0.2 =" Rather, she uses an app where she can type in "35", then push a button that has "20%" on it.

It's sad.

My wife and I were at a top shelf restaurant in San Francisco this past weekend.

The bill comes, I look down and printed on the bottom of the receipt, in great detail, is how much 15%, 20%, and 25%, of the total is for tipping purposes.

The upscale clientele that they cater to must also have basic math issues.

P.S. I'm not upscale-my wife is. :)

Altor Wed Apr 17, 2013 08:14am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chess Ref (Post 891219)
The bill comes, I look down and printed on the bottom of the receipt, in great detail, is how much 15%, 20%, and 25%, of the total is for tipping purposes.

I've seen this on checks before. And it was wrong (closer to 18-23-28%).