The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jul 22, 2003, 03:39pm
Official Forum Member

Ever since the nice feeling cotton pull over was phased out a few years ago, all the local umps have been whining. I called the ASA and asked them if they could go nylon or better yet back to the poly/cotton. Its political. Its so bad that on non-sanctioned games/leagues umps here are wearing "generic" nylon look-a-likes. Does anybody reeeeally like these poly shirts ?
Old Tue Jul 22, 2003, 03:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by chuck chopper
Ever since the nice feeling cotton pull over was phased out a few years ago, all the local umps have been whining. I called the ASA and asked them if they could go nylon or better yet back to the poly/cotton. Its political. Its so bad that on non-sanctioned games/leagues umps here are wearing "generic" nylon look-a-likes. Does anybody reeeeally like these poly shirts ?
I don't, but when I raised the point at the ASA Nat UIC Clinic a couple of years ago, I got beat up pretty good. Mostly by umpires from the SouthWest (Ariz, SoCal) area.

Personally, I don't think they let enough air to get inside the shirt. I would like to see ASA go to the Mizuno mesh that ISF uses. The mesh is "open" and allows air to flow freely.

Old Tue Jul 22, 2003, 03:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by chuck chopper
Does anybody reeeeally like these poly shirts ?
Reeeeally like them? No, I can't say that. But I don't have a big problem with them, either. They are certainly easier to care for and keep nice looking than the old ELBECO shirts. I wear a cotton T-shirt under them.

I can't imagine nylon being an improvement, though.
Old Tue Jul 22, 2003, 07:30pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down

I dont like the feel of those shirts either.In High School and College we wear the micro mesh shirts in my area which are very comfortable.I wear my McDavids tee shirt under the ASA shirt and it seems to wick away the sweat pretty well.Dont know why ASA picked such a hot shirt for predominately summer play???

Jeff
Old Tue Jul 22, 2003, 08:05pm
Official Forum Member

If you are going to complain about ASA stuff....Lets start with the Official Ball Bags as they are WAY TO SMALL. I have spoken with 3 ASA State Commisioners(SP???) and have explained to the them why...I even took out my Non-Asa Ball Bags to compare...About 2 to 3 inches difference.

The shirts(while heavier than I would like) I can live with...Those crummy ball bags I have a real problem with.
Old Tue Jul 22, 2003, 08:11pm
Official Forum Member

Hey, at least you get to wear the ASA poly pullover. In Minnesota our dumbass commissioner has decided that to make an extra dollar or two he scrapped the ASA logo and put the MSF logo on. Now here the kicker. So many fatty slowpitch guys (and I am not generalizing all slowpitch umps as fat but the three who I am talikng about weigh about 250 lbs each and are only 6'tall) complained that they wanted a pocket so now we have a pocket on the left chest and the MSF logo on the right side. Looks so stupid.
Old Tue Jul 22, 2003, 08:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kellerumps
If you are going to complain about ASA stuff....Lets start with the Official Ball Bags as they are WAY TO SMALL. I have spoken with 3 ASA State Commisioners(SP???) and have explained to the them why...I even took out my Non-Asa Ball Bags to compare...About 2 to 3 inches difference.

The shirts(while heavier than I would like) I can live with...Those crummy ball bags I have a real problem with.
I have no problem with ASA's ball bags. I can comfortably carry three 12" balls in a bag. And, if you check their site, they are now also offering a "large" bag.

Old Tue Jul 22, 2003, 08:56pm
Official Forum Member

I'll agree that there are large ASA bags that are the same size as the large Honigs plain bags - they hold 3 balls, but I prefer carrying no more than 2 per side.

What I don't like about the ASA shirts is that the sleeves are too short. They are maybe an inch shorter than a Cliff Keen shirt. They save maybe $.50 per shirt by shorting the sleeves an inch or so. I do prefer these newer shirts to the Elbeco's - they stay clean longer and do not have to be presses in order to look good.

Steve M
Old Tue Jul 22, 2003, 09:03pm
Official Forum Member

I agree about the sleeve length on the ASA shirts. I'm not a big guy and a medium Cliff Keen fits good but I've got to get a large ASA just to get the sleeves right.
Old Tue Jul 22, 2003, 11:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Does anybody reeeeally like these poly shirts ?
I agree that these shirts have something left to be desired. These sleeves are way too short (I got a pretty good farmer's tan from these. ) and they do not let much air in at all. My undershirts become soaked towels on those really hot days.

Quote:
If you are going to complain about ASA stuff....Lets start with the Official Ball Bags as they are WAY TO SMALL.
I don't mind the current ball bags too much. I did have an incident however when I was hustling to third to make a call, one of the three 12" balls did fall out. No problems, but I wasn't expecting it.
Old Wed Jul 23, 2003, 12:48pm
Official Forum Member

Unhappy

Illeata Booga,
Careful with the fat guy remarks. I am 6', 265# but am not considered fat just big boned. Fat people have feelings too!! And you keep cutting on us we will sit on you!
Old Wed Jul 23, 2003, 03:06pm
Official Forum Member

I guess I have not seen the Large ASA ball bags. I have a ASA dealer 20 mins from my house and just get the stuff from him.

Wil l check into it. Thanks for the info.

As for the shirts, I really like them for a plate game. The heavier design holds up alot better. We have both ordered several "Plain" shirts to wear for our Non-ASA games.

For the bases, we both prefer the Honigs "Micro-Mesh" shirts. A lot lighter weight and much cooler.
Old Sat Jul 26, 2003, 03:58pm
Official Forum Member

My gripes about the newer ASA shirts are the same as many of the others, short (and I do mean short) sleeves and the unusually heavy and hot design. Here in North Texas where we have heat and humidity, they really get to be uncomfortable on a long hot tournament day.

For high school, I use the Dalco Micromesh and prefer it to all the others I have tried. (Cliff Keen and Honig.) I would like to see ASA go to something similar to this shirt.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.