The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jul 22, 2003, 02:53pm
Official Forum Member

Question

I'm calling a men's SP game last night. Bottom of 7 and the visitors (everyone's swinging the Miken) are beating the home team (their Miken broke over the weekend) by 18 runs. The visitors decide that things would have been different if they had their Miken and take it upon themselves to grab the Miken off of the visitors bench. The catcher notices this and nicely asks them to put it back. The batter states that the rules say that you can use the other teams bats. I tell him that my rule book doesn't have that rule and that he should use his own bat and get in the box so that I can get home before midnight. He puts up a minor stink but I eventually find 3 outs and get home in time for Sportscenter.

I thought I've done a thorough job of reading the rules but I may have missed this one. Or possibly it's a matter of interpreting a statement in the rule book. I've been playing SP for over 20 years and umping for about 10 and I have heard other players over the years make the comment about how you can use the other team's bats. If it is legal then I guess I spent way too much on bats over the years when I could have just been using the other team's. Can anyone cite a rule (ASA) that allows this? If not, does anyone have any history on this issue (legal in other associations, used to be legal in ASA, etc.)?

Thanks,
Tim
Old Tue Jul 22, 2003, 03:27pm
Official Forum Member

There's nothing in the book (that I know of) to prevent teams from sharing bats, but it sounds to me like you just got a typical "AA" rule tossed at you.
Old Tue Jul 22, 2003, 03:29pm
Official Forum Member

I agree with Tom. I don't know or see any rule that can prevent teams from using the other team's equipment. However, could this be considered possible USC? Just a thought.
Old Wed Jul 23, 2003, 06:45am
Official Forum Member

Red face

Oh please guys!!!!! It's personal property!!!! If the guy wants to let the other team use it what's the beef????? Ya think we might be getting a little Anal here????
NIF
Old Wed Jul 23, 2003, 08:12am
Official Forum Member

Maybe I need to clarify. I have no problem if players borrow another team's bat with their permission. That happens all the time. In this case a player is saying that the rules say the the other team has to let him use their bat even though they don't want him to use their bat.
Old Wed Jul 23, 2003, 08:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Timmy
Maybe I need to clarify. I have no problem if players borrow another team's bat with their permission. That happens all the time. In this case a player is saying that the rules say the the other team has to let him use their bat even though they don't want him to use their bat.
Which is one of the dumber AA rules claim I've ever heard. Hell, ASA doesn't even allow the on-deck batter to stand on the opponents side of the field, let alone give them access to equipment they don't have the right to share.

Old Wed Jul 23, 2003, 09:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Del-Blue
Oh please guys!!!!! It's personal property!!!! If the guy wants to let the other team use it what's the beef????? Ya think we might be getting a little Anal here????
Isn't that what BigUmpJohn and I both said???? The team was claiming a right to the other team's bats, not asking permission to use them!
Old Wed Jul 23, 2003, 12:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dakota
Quote:
Originally posted by Del-Blue
Isn't that what BigUmpJohn and I both said???? The team was claiming a right to the other team's bats, not asking permission to use them!
I think what Bob is referring to is the question of a RULE involving personal property, not so much them being loaned out.

And I must say, this thread is a bit inane.
Old Wed Jul 23, 2003, 12:59pm
Official Forum Member

In a SP game a few nights ago, when I asked the home team if they were ready to take the field, one of the players said, "As long as I can borrow a glove from somebody."

So from the trunk of my car I retrieved my old Wilson A2000, still in good shape after the loving care I have given it over the past 22 years.

When I was in college, I worked summers for the local recreation department, which ran a summer softball league made up of teams from the various neighborhood playgrounds. One team never had gloves and always wanted to borrow the gloves of the other team. However, players were reluctant to comply, especially since this team of "borrowers" usually tried to make off with the gloves after the game.
Old Wed Jul 23, 2003, 01:10pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

That's it Mike, I couldn't believe someone thought there was a rule about it. Heck players borrow bats and gloves all the time. Especially in some of the leagues we have here.
NIF
Old Wed Jul 23, 2003, 01:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by IRISHMAFIA
And I must say, this thread is a bit inane.
I'm not sure inane quite captures it. How about puerile? Insipid? I know - jejune!
Old Wed Jul 23, 2003, 02:20pm
Official Forum Member

Could it be that Timmy is really Ed or does he just live in that same area? My answer to that player could have been, "Their catcher forgot his cup, which one of you guys is going to share yours?"
Old Thu Jul 24, 2003, 12:36pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Elaine Send a message via Yahoo to Elaine
Talking

Hey---get ready to laugh-----

I had a FP partner that had recently come to our group from SP, and he NEVER remembered his cup! This would cause me to work the double header as the PU regardless if it was 100 degrees. After the 3rd time he did this, I told him that I was buying a cup and keeping it in my umpire bag, just for guys like him!! I also told his at our association's meeting. No one EVER forgot their cup again while I was their partner.

HAHAHAHA!! This is ONE female umpire that never suffered at the hands of the male umpires! ....don't pooh, pooh that either, because it DOES happen.
Georgia High School NFHS (retired)
Mom of former Travel Player
National Indicator Fraternity 1995