The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   Sample Play for ASA (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/93930-sample-play-asa.html)

BretMan Thu Feb 07, 2013 09:11pm

Sample Play for ASA

ASA rules.

3-2 count, R1 on second base. Ball four is in the dirt and rebounds off the catcher, then goes a few feet up the first base line.

The batter-runner heads for first and: A) intentionally, or; B) unintentionally, contacts the ball.

What is the call and what rule number covers it?

BretMan Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:02am

Quote:

Originally Posted by CecilOne (Post 877882)
Dead ball, R1 stays at 2nd unless reached 3rd before BR contact.
Will work on rule cite.

The rule cite is the tricky part...

We have rules for runners hit by batted balls or thrown balls. But I'm not finding anything concrete that covers a batter-runner hit by a deflected pitch/loose ball.

Obviously, if the B/R intentionally kicked the ball she would be out. I threw in the "intentional/unintentional" option just looking for input if "intent" even plays a part in this call.

The conversation this generated at one of our meetings ranged from "it's nothing, live ball, play on", to "it's interference, batter-runner is out (regardless of intent), to "dead ball, place B/R on first base".

Manny A Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:30am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BretMan (Post 878414)
The rule cite is the tricky part...

We have rules for runners hit by batted balls or thrown balls. But I'm not finding anything concrete that covers a batter-runner hit by a deflected pitch/loose ball.

Obviously, if the B/R intentionally kicked the ball she would be out. I threw in the "intentional/unintentional" option just looking for input if "intent" even plays a part in this call.

The conversation this generated at one of our meetings ranged from "it's nothing, live ball, play on", to "it's interference, batter-runner is out (regardless of intent), to "dead ball, place B/R on first base".

I would go with the "Live Ball, Play On" group, unless it was done intentionally.

My rationale is this: A runner is not expected to avoid being contacted by a batted ball that has been deflected by an infielder. So why should we hold him/her to a higher responsibility on a pitched ball that has been deflected by the catcher?

Of course, that argument goes out the window on a dropped-third strike. I never could understand the rationale with that one...

RKBUmp Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:43am

Closest I can find so far is the last exception in rule 7. But, it is dealing with a return throw to the pitcher. Based on the wording of that rule, I could see where if no runner was advancing prior to the contact and it was not intentional contact with the ball, just kill it return runners to last base and put the B/R on 1st.

CecilOne Mon Feb 11, 2013 01:12pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manny A (Post 878427)
My rationale is this: A runner is not expected to avoid being contacted by a batted ball that has been deflected by an infielder. So why should we hold him/her to a higher responsibility on a pitched ball that has been deflected by the catcher?

I like that reasoning, but it seems to come down to impeding a play or not.

MD Longhorn Mon Feb 11, 2013 01:26pm

If we're going to be consistent with other rulings - generally, if the batter interferes with a potential play, we have an out; but if the batter "interferes" while there is NO potential play, and a play develops because of that "interference", it's just a dead ball - put the runner back.

(B) is nothing.
(A) is - if no play, B/R to first, runner back; if there is a play, B/R out, runner back.

bluejay Mon Feb 11, 2013 03:11pm

My ASA book is from 2011 so perhaps somethng has changed but 8.2.f.6 mentions interference with a dropped third strike which I believe the OP describes. I think most of us know what three things always happen when interference occurs. Dead, out, return.

Andy Mon Feb 11, 2013 03:14pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluejay (Post 878499)
My ASA book is from 2011 so perhaps somethng has changed but 8.2.f.6 mentions interference with a dropped third strike which I believe the OP describes. I think most of us know what three things always happen when interference occurs. Dead, out, return.

You are correct for a D3K. However, the OP said:

Quote:

Ball four is in the dirt...

MD Longhorn Mon Feb 11, 2013 03:36pm

Quote:

Um ... what?

bluejay Mon Feb 11, 2013 03:47pm

Excuse me. I guess I should read better. Our group recently had a long discussion on the DTK situation and I could not figure out why no one could get it. My bad.

MichaelVA2000 Mon Feb 11, 2013 07:57pm

Live ball unless the umpire decides there was interference.

Insane Blue Thu Feb 14, 2013 01:28pm

Quote:

Lets say it was a dropped 3rd strike it would only be interference if the kick was intentional. The Batter Runner has a right to run to first on a dropped 3rd strike so they are not doing anything illegal if it is unintentional.

IRISHMAFIA Thu Feb 14, 2013 06:39pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Insane Blue (Post 879442)
Lets say it was a dropped 3rd strike it would only be interference if the kick was intentional. The Batter Runner has a right to run to first on a dropped 3rd strike so they are not doing anything illegal if it is unintentional.

Speaking ASA

No intent is necessary.

tcannizzo Fri Feb 15, 2013 04:17pm

What if F2 intentionally directed the U3K into the feet of the batter?
No response required.:cool:

HugoTafurst Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:23am

Quote:

Originally Posted by tcannizzo (Post 879726)
What if F2 intentionally directed the U3K into the feet of the batter?
No response required.:cool:

Oh, I just noticed the "no response required" not.
So I'll just offer my non-required response which is: :rolleyes:
LOL