The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jul 18, 2003, 04:51pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to shipwreck
Question

I was working an ASA District game the other day and this play occured. A sinking liner towards right center field. I am BU and go out to look for a catch. The right fielder goes out, and to her right. She reaches her left hand out and snags the ball but then rolls to the ground and rolls on top of her glove. While the glove and ball were both visible to me, the ball was in her glove and not with the open part of her glove down. It took her a little while to COME UP with the ball to show me. I couldn't get to the back side of her in time to find if she had indeed caught the ball. I ruled a catch, and of course we had one elated coach and one irate coach. Did I rule correctly or since it took a little while to produce the ball, did I screw up?
P.S. Just a little side bar. After the inning ended and she was congratulated by the other players and after some laughter and a "GOOD JOB that away to go" and some more laughter, I believed she probably did in fact drop the ball.
Dave
Old Fri Jul 18, 2003, 07:52pm
Official Forum Member

Dave,
With your good timeing that waits for everything t be over before you made the call and the appearance of a catch that she gave - that is the correct call to make. If players, coaches, and fans want better coverage, let them go to a 3-umpire crew. Yeah, right.

Steve M
Old Fri Jul 18, 2003, 09:30pm
Official Forum Member

Wink

I believe you would need 5 or 6 umps to get all the angels. You cant see everything. If you do your best to get a good view thats all anyone can expect.
Old Sat Jul 19, 2003, 02:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bethsdad
I believe you would need 5 or 6 umps to get all the angels. You cant see everything. If you do your best to get a good view thats all anyone can expect.
You might get all the "angels" but would you get the "angles"?

Bob
Old Mon Jul 21, 2003, 12:42pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up Sounds right to me

You made the effort to get out in the field (better than some partners I've had). You waited to see the results. YOU DID NOT SEE THE BALL COME OUT or be picked-up from the ground. There is nothing else you could possibly call.

After a diving catch and subsequent roll-over... there is nothing that says the defense must immediately get up and present the ball... umpire just needs to wait... if in doubt, continue running to the scene of the catch/crime and make your call from that position.

Sounds like a nice job!
Old Tue Jul 22, 2003, 07:50am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
What about not guessing an out?
And if you didn't see it, it didn't happen.
Isn't the presumption safe if an out is not seen?