The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jul 17, 2003, 11:11am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ref5678
at a recent association meeting we were instructed not to call crowhoping unless its painfully obvious,and gaining an advantage. Just curious as to se how crowhoping is called in other places.
Old Thu Jul 17, 2003, 11:23am
Official Forum Member

If someone is "Crow Hopping" then they are gaining an advantage and should be called.

Now some people will look at a pitcher dragging their foot or pushing off and then it looks like the foot is re-planting but is actually sideways as a "Crow Hop".

Make sure it is an actual re-plant and an additional push before calling it.

I always watch the pitcher warming up and if I see a problem then I do a little preventive officiating and talk to the coach a pitcher. A lot of times this will curb any problems.
Old Thu Jul 17, 2003, 12:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ref5678
at a recent association meeting we were instructed not to call crowhoping unless its painfully obvious,and gaining an advantage. Just curious as to se how crowhoping is called in other places.
Crowhopping is, by definition, gaining an advantage since the pitcher is pushing off closer to the plate than she is legally entitled to. It is an advantage the same way as a 12U pitcher using the 10U pitching plate would be at an advantage.

Perhaps they meant leaping?
Old Thu Jul 17, 2003, 12:37pm
Official Forum Member

Please re-read the rule book of the sanctioning body that you are calling for, and tell me where it says anything about "gaining an avantage" in the rule on pitching. You will notice that it doesn't. Now, you need to go back to the "association" heads and let them know that you are accepting money, as a group, to enforce the rules, not make it easier for the players to circumnavigate them. Let them know that you intend to call the illegal pitch as per the rule rather than accept money under false pretenses. For more of my rant on this subject, please read the following:

http://www.officialforum.com/showthr...?threadid=8803

The players learn nothing by learning to play incorrectly. They go elsewhere, to tournaments...etc., and cannot figure out why they cannot compete with the teams that are well within the rules. Your association is choosing to hurt the players in the leagues that you call for, rather than show a little backbone and do the job that they are hired to do. (Which is enforce the rules as per the rulebook.)

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.