The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   Mechanics clinic (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/92572-mechanics-clinic.html)

Big Slick Fri Oct 12, 2012 08:54am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manny A (Post 858004)

Are you saying that in NCAA there really is no single solution to a situation?

Yes, that is the entire purpose of Reading-processing-reacting.

Quote:

Let's say I'm behind F6 (what I would erroneously refer to as "C" :p) with runners at second and third. The batter hits a single to right, and F9 throws home to make a play on R2. The throw is cutoff by F3, and she throws to F6 covering second to make a play on the BR. Is it okay for me to take a few steps towards second while staying outside and make the call from there? Or should I have gone in between the pitcher's plate and second to call from there?
Again, you really can't say. You have to see the play to react to it. I know that responsibilities are mainly for the BR in this case. What I'm "exactly" doing on this play is something that the play dictates. I know the first thing I'm doing is "nothing" . . . that helps me read the play. Then as the play develops, then I purposefully move to meet my responsibilities.

AtlUmpSteve Fri Oct 12, 2012 09:36am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manny A (Post 858004)
Are you saying that in NCAA there really is no single solution to a situation? Let's say I'm behind F6 (what I would erroneously refer to as "C" :p) with runners at second and third. The batter hits a single to right, and F9 throws home to make a play on R2. The throw is cutoff by F3, and she throws to F6 covering second to make a play on the BR. Is it okay for me to take a few steps towards second while staying outside and make the call from there? Or should I have gone in between the pitcher's plate and second to call from there?

I would say that might have the final play covered, almost; but wouldn't be anywhere near an acceptable coverage of all the possible plays. One of the core philosophies of NCAA is to be in a position to cover ANY anticipated next play, always understanding there is a possible next play.

First, to start where you state, it must be stated that you are in two-person mechanics; that is already not the NCAA standard, as noted by others.

Second, your movements (or rather, lack of) ignore the real possibility that B3, after hitting a "single to right", may return to first on the cutoff, that someone may be there to make a play on B3; well, you are still outside behind the starting F6 position?? Many teams would leave F3 trailing back to cover 1st, with F1 being the cutoff, and you are nowhere. As long as the play goes where you anticipated, you saved a lot of steps, but if it goes back, and there is a close play, you will be wearing a coach for a while (pick which one based on your call).

Third, any tag play is expected (by CCA Manual) to have an umpire 90 degrees to the plane of the tag, and 6-9 feet away. In your stated and anticipated play, that will entail more than a few steps from starting position, and the 90 will require you move from "staying outside", with the leading edge the 1st base side of 2nd, with a real possibility of a back side (right field side) slide; to be prepared for the possible play back to 1st will require many more steps, not allow you to stay outside on the F6 side.

I would expect a quality evaluator to tell you that the preferred movement would have you busting inside to a midpoint between 1st and 2nd (in case the throw doesn't come home, but directly to 2nd, or even behind B3 rounding 1st), then, as the throw comes toward home, attempting to work back outside between 1st and 2nd if possible (to avoid the throw from cutoff now behind you), only if you can do that in front of the hesitating B3 reading the throw; but reading B3 to determine which base the next play might be at.

Again, as long as the play ends exactly as you describe, you won't look out of position (to a coach); but with the variation that is very possible, you are woefully calling long distance without an angle. While being proponents of working outside, the NCAA gurus consider that an option to keep elements of plays in front of you, not a default to justify bad positioning on a call.

CecilOne Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:26am

Quote:

Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve (Post 858030)
I would say that might have the final play covered, almost; but wouldn't be anywhere near an acceptable coverage of all the possible plays. One of the core philosophies of NCAA is to be in a position to cover ANY anticipated next play, always understanding there is a possible next play.

First, to start where you state, it must be stated that you are in two-person mechanics; that is already not the NCAA standard, as noted by others.

Second, your movements (or rather, lack of) ignore the real possibility that B3, after hitting a "single to right", may return to first on the cutoff, that someone may be there to make a play on B3; well, you are still outside behind the starting F6 position?? Many teams would leave F3 trailing back to cover 1st, with F1 being the cutoff, and you are nowhere. As long as the play goes where you anticipated, you saved a lot of steps, but if it goes back, and there is a close play, you will be wearing a coach for a while (pick which one based on your call).

Third, any tag play is expected (by CCA Manual) to have an umpire 90 degrees to the plane of the tag, and 6-9 feet away. In your stated and anticipated play, that will entail more than a few steps from starting position, and the 90 will require you move from "staying outside", with the leading edge the 1st base side of 2nd, with a real possibility of a back side (right field side) slide; to be prepared for the possible play back to 1st will require many more steps, not allow you to stay outside on the F6 side.

I would expect a quality evaluator to tell you that the preferred movement would have you busting inside to a midpoint between 1st and 2nd (in case the throw doesn't come home, but directly to 2nd, or even behind B3 rounding 1st), then, as the throw comes toward home, attempting to work back outside between 1st and 2nd if possible (to avoid the throw from cutoff now behind you), only if you can do that in front of the hesitating B3 reading the throw; but reading B3 to determine which base the next play might be at.

Again, as long as the play ends exactly as you describe, you won't look out of position (to a coach); but with the variation that is very possible, you are woefully calling long distance without an angle. While being proponents of working outside, the NCAA gurus consider that an option to keep elements of plays in front of you, not a default to justify bad positioning on a call.

Along with staying clear of throwing lanes.

MD Longhorn Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:34am

Depending on the speed of the hit to right, and realizing that there are always two places that are 90 degrees - would reverse-working the rim work on this play? IOW, following the grass-dirt border from "C" to about "B", watching F9 and BR until the throw gets past you - this leaves you in about the same position you normally are on a single runner at first, the ball near catcher, with a possibility of the runner going to second. A good 90 to either base depending on where the runner goes (and the throw). You are still in position if F9's throw goes to 1st and there's a play there.

AtlUmpSteve Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:13am

Quote:

Originally Posted by MD Longhorn (Post 858054)
Depending on the speed of the hit to right, and realizing that there are always two places that are 90 degrees - would reverse-working the rim work on this play? IOW, following the grass-dirt border from "C" to about "B", watching F9 and BR until the throw gets past you - this leaves you in about the same position you normally are on a single runner at first, the ball near catcher, with a possibility of the runner going to second. A good 90 to either base depending on where the runner goes (and the throw). You are still in position if F9's throw goes to 1st and there's a play there.

The key is the speed of the hit; and the speed in your legs. For many/most umpires I know, if there is enough time to reverse-rim and get to a 90 to 1st, it is highly unlikely there is going to be a throw home first, the outfielder in NCAA is throwing that to 2nd, if not behind the runner at 1st. At some point, you no longer have all the elements (1) BR touching 1st, 2) outfielder throw, 3) B3 reading and reacting to throw) in front of you, and/or you are possibly cutting across the throwing lane to 2nd.

As Big Slick noted, read-process-react. The shortest distance to the desired location with ability to cover both possible plays is a straight line, taking you inside (at least initially).