The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jul 07, 2003, 08:43am
Official Forum Member

Dixie 15U (Belles) District All-Stars - Bases loaded 1 out (3 man mechanics). I'm the plate umpire with one BU on the 3rd base line and the other BU in B position. The batter hits a hard grounder just past the pitcher toward the third base side. After initially seeing the ball on the ground, I glanced toward the runner coming home and get in position to make a potential call at home. I glanced back to find the ball and see R2 and the SS untangling, I look at my partners for any reaction (no dead ball or delay dead ball signal). The defensive team is going crazy and two runs score. The defensive manager requested time to discuss the play. I told him I did not see the whole play, he asked to talk to the BUs. The 3rd BU told the coach that there was contact but the SS did not have a play on the ball. The manager wanted to protest the call but I told him that it was not a protestable call (judgement). In the future, should I watch the ground ball and action around it until the play is over. If so, should I call interference even though the play is just 10 to 20 feet in front of my partner. I have made this call in the past (2 man mechanics) when working with a rookie umpire who didn't know or understand the rule, but the results is usually an ejection or firestorm from the offensive because the BU, who was closer to the play, didn't make the call. As a basketball official, I am trained to trust my partner. How do you handle this situation?
Old Mon Jul 07, 2003, 01:26pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
I would say watch the ball and play while you are getting in position so you know when and where the play will be. Either umpire can make that kind of call if you have a good angle and see it clearly. The D BU should have been looking right at the ball and R2, leaving him/her primarily responsible. On the other hand, there is no legitimate argument from coaches or players about "whose call" it is.
If the SS did not have play and the runner did not touch the ball, then no call sounds ok. But was the SS making a play and the BU using "no play" as a copout.
Old Tue Jul 08, 2003, 09:43am
Official Forum Member

History always seems to repeat itself. I was working the same tournament last night as the 3rd base umpire. R1 at second, the batter hits a ground ball to the left of the SS. R1 runs into the SS who is attempting to make a play on the ball. I call "Dead Ball! Runner's out interference." The offense wants to protest, fans whining, and I'm reminded after the game that my interference call (the worst in softball history) cost them the game which they lost 8-1. This parent's daughter was the runner on second that caused the interference. It is a shame that parents sitting behind the fence are so much better at umpiring than those of us on the field.
Old Tue Jul 08, 2003, 10:37am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Last year, in another sport, doing a JV, I called a foul on a player trying to score; which negated the apparent score. The coach, from the opposite end and the opposite side of the field yelled a few things I couldn't make out, but my partner signalled me to come explain the call, because he, even though 30 yards closer, was blocked out. I did, because I realized the coach couldn't see the foul from where he was. Coach: "Couldn't be, you can't call that, that's the worst", etc. During the post-game handshakes (about an hour later), he says "You cost us the game, worst call I ever saw". A week later, while I was getting ready for the V game, he said the same thing. Get a life!
Old Tue Jul 08, 2003, 11:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by CecilOne
During the post-game handshakes (about an hour later), he says "You cost us the game, worst call I ever saw".
You: "So, you admit you have no experience as an official."

Old Tue Jul 08, 2003, 01:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by IRISHMAFIA
Quote:
Originally posted by CecilOne
During the post-game handshakes (about an hour later), he says "You cost us the game, worst call I ever saw".
You: "So, you admit you have no experience as an official."

I'd have gone with "Gee - I thought maybe it was the 4 defensive errors or the 15 hits that your pitcher gave up."

-Kono