The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Aug 13, 2012, 07:29am
Stirrer of the Pot

Glove to Glove Contact

I worked a girls fast-pitch doubleheader this weekend involving a team from Japan playing some local 18U GOLD teams. The Japanese team, as I expected from watching their country's participants in the Little League World Series, were very skilled and disciplined, and showed the highest levels of sportsmanship. At one point in one of my games, after a US girl was hit by a pitch in the leg, a Japanese girl ran out of the dugout with a can of cold spray for the US girl to use on her injury.

But there was one particular play that I'm pretty sure I blew, although nobody questioned my call. The US team had a runner on first with two outs. The batter hit a little looper up the middle that F4 was able to field on the hop. As F6 waited on second base for the toss from F4, F4 decided to make the play herself. But then at the last second as R1 approached, instead of tagging the base herself, F4 put her glove that held the ball inside of F6's glove.

What I initially thought was that F4 simply transferred the ball from her glove into her teammate's glove. It appeared to me that F6 had the ball just before R1 arrived, so I called her out. Then, as the fielders headed back to their dugout, I noticed when they separated their gloves that F4 still had the ball inside of hers! In essence, F6's glove held F4's glove, while F4's glove still had the ball. There was never a transfer.

I talked to my partner a couple of innings later and explained to him what happened. I felt pretty sure that F6 never had true possession of the ball because F4 never released it from her possession. He wasn't sure, but he felt that I was probably right that the runner should have been safe.

In my 17+ years of umpiring, I've never seen anything like that. The closest thing to it that I have seen was in a professional baseball game where the ball got stuck in F1's glove after he fielded hot shot, and he tossed his glove with the ball in it to F3 for the out.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Mon Aug 13, 2012, 08:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
I worked a girls fast-pitch doubleheader this weekend involving a team from Japan playing some local 18U GOLD teams. The Japanese team, as I expected from watching their country's participants in the Little League World Series, were very skilled and disciplined, and showed the highest levels of sportsmanship. At one point in one of my games, after a US girl was hit by a pitch in the leg, a Japanese girl ran out of the dugout with a can of cold spray for the US girl to use on her injury.

But there was one particular play that I'm pretty sure I blew, although nobody questioned my call. The US team had a runner on first with two outs. The batter hit a little looper up the middle that F4 was able to field on the hop. As F6 waited on second base for the toss from F4, F4 decided to make the play herself. But then at the last second as R1 approached, instead of tagging the base herself, F4 put her glove that held the ball inside of F6's glove.

What I initially thought was that F4 simply transferred the ball from her glove into her teammate's glove. It appeared to me that F6 had the ball just before R1 arrived, so I called her out. Then, as the fielders headed back to their dugout, I noticed when they separated their gloves that F4 still had the ball inside of hers! In essence, F6's glove held F4's glove, while F4's glove still had the ball. There was never a transfer.

I talked to my partner a couple of innings later and explained to him what happened. I felt pretty sure that F6 never had true possession of the ball because F4 never released it from her possession. He wasn't sure, but he felt that I was probably right that the runner should have been safe.

In my 17+ years of umpiring, I've never seen anything like that. The closest thing to it that I have seen was in a professional baseball game where the ball got stuck in F1's glove after he fielded hot shot, and he tossed his glove with the ball in it to F3 for the out.
I agree with you - never ever seen that before where the fielder kept possession of the glove and put it in someone else's glove. Also agree that you probably missed this one, although I'm using the word probably and not definitely on purpose.

West Houston Mike
Old Mon Aug 13, 2012, 10:19am
Official Forum Member

Absent any "official" interpretation surfacing that says otherwise, I'm going with no possession by F6. For me, it boils down to an issue of control.

If F4 were to walk away from F6, would the ball go with her? If so, then F6 obviously wasn't in control of it.
Old Mon Aug 13, 2012, 12:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BretMan View Post
Absent any "official" interpretation surfacing that says otherwise, I'm going with no possession by F6. For me, it boils down to an issue of control.

If F4 were to walk away from F6, would the ball go with her? If so, then F6 obviously wasn't in control of it.
Yep, let me pile on here. Only one player can have control of the ball at any one time.

I've seen the throw the glove with the ball in it as a manner of changing possession, but Bretman is correct here.
Old Mon Aug 13, 2012, 02:01pm
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by BretMan View Post
Why? Couldn't you just argue that F6's release was voluntary and intentional?
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Mon Aug 13, 2012, 02:09pm
Official Forum Member

F6 had control of F4's glove, F4 had control of the ball Crazy !
Old Mon Aug 13, 2012, 08:17pm
Official Forum Member

I'm curious - what did the runner think?
Old Tue Aug 14, 2012, 07:13am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve M View Post
I'm curious - what did the runner think?
She had no issue with the call, nor did anyone else for that matter. And even if she had seen it, chances are she probably wouldn't have understood the implication of it.

If anybody had an angle to see what happened, it would have been the first-base coach, since F4 approached F6 from behind and to the right-field side of second base. When their gloves joined, F6 had her back to the offensive team's dugout, so they couldn't see there was no transfer.