The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jul 03, 2003, 01:27pm
Official Forum Member

Question

Under ASA Men's Slo-pitch rules, does anyone know or has anyone ever heard of an umpire making batters turn their hats around to bat?

And if so, is it an enforceable rule under ASA guidelines?
Old Thu Jul 03, 2003, 01:40pm
Official Forum Member

In our association's territory (Mercer and Burlington counties, New Jersey), players must wear their caps properly.

In the Trentonian Tournament (SP), all players on the 350+ teams representing several states must also wear their hats facing forward.

We're ASA. I don't know what NSA or USSSA require.
Old Thu Jul 03, 2003, 01:44pm
Official Forum Member

Even in non-tournament SP play?

I just have never heard the rule enforced before, tournament or non-tournament...

and i would assume that most NJ-ASA rules are standard in most counties, right?

thanks for the help.
Old Thu Jul 03, 2003, 02:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bblairnj

I just have never heard the rule enforced before, tournament or non-tournament...

and i would assume that most NJ-ASA rules are standard in most counties, right?

thanks for the help.
If you come to the plate with the hat on anyway, but with the bill forward, I will ask you to wear it properly. You will not bat until you do. Of course, I may get to Strike Three before you decide to adjust it
Old Thu Jul 03, 2003, 02:25pm
Official Forum Member

USSSA states that, "Caps are optional, however when worn they must all be alike and worn with the bill forward." Leaves little to the imagination.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Thu Jul 03, 2003, 04:25pm
Official Forum Member

ASA states that headgear if worn (male FP mandatory) must be worn PROPERLY. That has to mean bill forward. Even under batting helmet, if its worn, its gotta face forward. That bill sticking out in back can get touched by a pitch, then you hear "it hit her" batting gloves sticking out of pockets can do the same (don't ask me, I don't know why they are batting with batting gloves in pockets, I guess its a fashion statement). Jerseys, also should be worn properly, that means tucked in, not loose, tied up etc. This also applies to defense. Ref is ASA 3-6-A
Old Thu Jul 03, 2003, 04:58pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally posted by IRISHMAFIA
If you come to the plate with the hat on anyway, but with the bill forward, I will ask you to wear it properly. You will not bat until you do. Of course, I may get to Strike Three before you decide to adjust it
I was going to agree, except:
- come on the field, not just "come to the plate"
- instead of wasting time on strikes, use 10-1-J-3

Of course for this, expecting lineups, not allowing bat throwing, starting on time, etc. I get accused of making up my own rules.

[Edited by CecilOne on Jul 3rd, 2003 at 05:01 PM]
Old Thu Jul 03, 2003, 05:01pm
Official Forum Member

Yes. Even rec league players have to wear the cap forward. Actually, most of the leagues themselves ask that we enforce that rule. And it is in the ASA rule book.

I would not enforce the hat rule in a co-ed picnic league game, however.

Many of our local leagues are trying to keep players from dressing like slobs. When I played, everyone was happy to wear a nice uniform, and most leagues required that players be in uniform. But with time the situation deteriorated. Over the past few years, you could see teams wearing mismatching everything, with maybe only half the players even in a shirt of the same color. Shorts of different colors, types, and lengths; various types of socks; any old T-shirt; different hats; etc. So there's been a reaction against it.

Old Fri Jul 04, 2003, 09:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by CecilOne
Quote:
I was going to agree, except:
- come on the field, not just "come to the plate"
- instead of wasting time on strikes, use 10-1-J-3

Of course for this, expecting lineups, not allowing bat throwing, starting on time, etc. I get accused of making up my own rules.

[Edited by CecilOne on Jul 3rd, 2003 at 05:01 PM]
and there you go, again! That rule merely defines responsibilities, not cause.

Besides, once you start call strikes, the players team will take care of the rest
Old Fri Jul 04, 2003, 01:40pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
... and there you go, again! That rule merely defines responsibilities, not cause.
Old Fri Jul 04, 2003, 02:21pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ASA/NYSSOBLUE
Quote:
Originally posted by greymule

Many of our local leagues are trying to keep players from dressing like slobs. When I played, everyone was happy to wear a nice uniform, and most leagues required that players be in uniform. But with time the situation deteriorated. Over the past few years, you could see teams wearing mismatching everything, with maybe only half the players even in a shirt of the same color. Shorts of different colors, types, and lengths; various types of socks; any old T-shirt; different hats; etc. So there's been a reaction against it.

Our local leagues have been TRYING to do the same around here...sure makes for a more professional looking game on all ends!